Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th August 2017, 08:16 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default PRIMER FLASK for COMMENT & ID

I recently acquired this nice little primer flask. The style resembles those full size flaks from Algeria, but 'til now I have never seen a small one like this. Diam across is 1 3/4" x 2 3/4" tall. Made of brass.
The normal size of this style of flask in usually found "full size" is around 5" across. I have attached a pic of a "full size" flask also.
Any ideas as to origin?
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 01:33 PM   #2
corrado26

I cannot believe that this is a primer flask because its spout is far too wide in oder to fill a much narrower pan without loss of powder
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Bob A

I get vague hints of Ottoman and Persian tile designs, for what that may be worth.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 05:31 PM   #4
BBJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
I cannot believe that this is a primer flask because its spout is far too wide in oder to fill a much narrower pan without loss of powder
corrado26
I agree about the spout. This little flask looks like several of mine and could be from anywhere in N. Afrika.-bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 08:56 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
corrado26
I agree that the spout LOOKS wide, but it is only 3/8" (10mm). Most eastern flasks seem to have larger spout holes than ones usually seen on European flasks. Also there was definite powder residue inside when I received it.
Stu

Last edited by kahnjar1; 26th August 2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:59 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW
I agree about the spout. This little flask looks like several of mine and could be from anywhere in N. Afrika.-bbjw
I agree that it is likely North African in origin. Could you please post a couple of pics of similar flasks that you have in your collection for comparison?
Stu
Old 26th August 2017, 05:27 PM   #7
rickystl

Hi Stu.

That's a nice looking little flask. The engravings are generic enough that I can't really guess it's origin. But somewhere in North Africa seems correct. Looks like there was a reasonable amount of work put into it. If there is evidence of black powder, it was at least used to carry same at some point. The cap design, with it's short barrel section does not seem designed to keep powder dry from moisture or the elements. Although it could have had a thin leather gasket on the cap at some time (?). I don't think this paticular flask was designed to carry powder specifically. But, as noted, was in this case.
What we consider a larger than normal opening on some of these Eastern powder containers has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. It would be less convienient to use while priming the pan of a flintlock. The most noteable powder containers with larger openings are the Moroccan powder horns. Every one I've seen has a larger opening than their European and North American equal. Actually, most of the Eastern flasks I've seen - that were designed to carry powder - all seem to have medium to normal size openings, with notable Moroccan exceptions such as the horns and beehive flasks.
Here is a small, Moroccan priming flask with a brass plug that is serrated to keep it snug in the neck/spout. Won't fall out. Also, a plug from a medium size Persian flask, with a wider opening, but with a long plug length that is leather wrapped. Both of these were designed to carry powder.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2017, 06:07 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I would consider Moroccan and Algerian as well as potentially Ottoman... heres a slightly similar one
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote