Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Edmos1212

Default Sword from Basilan?

This was offered to me by my moro friend. He said that this is a yakan sword from basilan but am not sure. Since offer is reasonable, i bought them for its uniqueness. Does anybody know what these swords are?
Attached Images

Edmos1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 08:47 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THERE IS INFLUENCE FROM THE PHILIPPINE BARONG HANDLE BUT THE SCABBARD, HAIR AND BLADE WHO KNOWS? INDONESIAN, MALAYSIAN, CELEBES,TORAJA ???
VERY INTERESTING ITEMS AND IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT WORTH COLLECTING FOR THEIR UNIQUENESS. THEY WOULD BE MORE VALUABLE IN A COLLECTION WITH GOOD PROVANANCE SUCH AS WHEN, WHERE AND BY WHO THEY WERE MADE. IF YOU COULD FIND WHO MADE THEM PERHAPS THEY COULD FILL YOU IN ON WHERE ALL THESE INFLUENCES AND IDEAS CAME FROM. THAT WOULD NO DOUBT BE AN INTERESTING STORY.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 01:17 AM   #3
kai

Hello Edmos,

Thanks for posting these more recent examples of Moro/Lumad blades! These are rarely seen on these pages and while not antique I believe it's good to stay in touch with what continues to be crafted in the area.

Having said that I have to admit that the hair attached with brass plugs looks a bit over the top to me...

Quote:
This was offered to me by my moro friend. He said that this is a yakan sword from basilan but am not sure.
I agree with Barry that it would be very interesting to have this confirmed by your friend and, preferably, on site!

The notch at the back of the blade alludes to what can be seen on modern pira blades from Basilan so the info you got may be correct.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 10:40 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE ARE TWO KNIVES SAID TO BE FROM BINACOCO THE FIRST ONE HAS AN 18 INCH LONG BLADE. THERE IS SOME SIMULARITY HOW OLD THEY ARE I DON'T KNOW.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote