Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th September 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Tayf Saif with Unusual Blade for Comments

Been a while since I posted anything here, so decided to have this one for discussion.

The sword is dressed in Tayf made mounts of the older better quality, King Faisal era. The mounts are very traditional and made of excellent quality silver... Nothing unusual except for the blade...

The blade is forged, strong and thick... slightly on the heavy side but nothing impractical. Even the more modern Tayf made saifs come with strong forged blades.. but this is unusual. There are no marks so I cant assume it to be European.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Been a while since I posted anything here, so decided to have this one for discussion.

The sword is dressed in Tayf made mounts of the older better quality, King Faisal era. The mounts are very traditional and made of excellent quality silver... Nothing unusual except for the blade...

The blade is forged, strong and thick... slightly on the heavy side but nothing impractical. Even the more modern Tayf made saifs come with strong forged blades.. but this is unusual. There are no marks so I cant assume it to be European.

What do you guys think?

Salaams A.alnakkas ~ Nice pictures. Mine is similar and again no blade mark but I suspect its not old... in mine anyway. The chain is missing but the remnants are similar to yours... Mine has 3 rivets in the hilt. The blade back edge is etched. Scabbard similar. Are we looking at 1950 to 1980 manufacture or older?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

hmmmm,

The ones with better mounts are associated to King Faisal era. The lesser quality ones tend to be more modern. These can come with all sort of blades I have seen wootz, European and local blades on them. The larger part of them comes with very well made local blades...

Some suggest the thicker blades to be made for royal guards... but these generally have serial numbers and the Saudi symbol. So maybe the older ones are just different.
Old 11th September 2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Iain

Lovely swords guys. Thanks for sharing, if I understand correctly these are roughly 1950s-1970s in terms of the mounts and silver work? The blades that are local and well made, contemporary with the mounts or older local work recycled?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Richard G

Please don't take offence, but is Tayf the place we generally see spelt as Taif (in the Hejaz)?
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 06:36 PM   #6
A.alnakkas

Yes thats the same but I didnt want to say "taif saif" :P
Old 11th September 2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Richard G

Smile

Secretly, I think you did want to say it.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 11:30 AM   #8
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Lovely swords guys. Thanks for sharing, if I understand correctly these are roughly 1950s-1970s in terms of the mounts and silver work? The blades that are local and well made, contemporary with the mounts or older local work recycled?
I have seen examples of these swords with older blades. Sickle signed, European blades, wootz and even Indian ones.

Here is a photo for one that belongs to Alex with a Caucasian blade? the other photo is of a one I owned in the past, its more recent, lesser quality design but good quality silver. The blade is slim compared to the older ones even the older local ones.
Attached Images

Old 13th September 2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Iain

Quote:
I have seen examples of these swords with older blades. Sickle signed, European blades, wootz and even Indian ones.

Here is a photo for one that belongs to Alex with a Caucasian blade? the other photo is of a one I owned in the past, its more recent, lesser quality design but good quality silver. The blade is slim compared to the older ones even the older local ones.
Right, that's about what I expected to see. The recent ones are perhaps sheet steel?
Old 13th September 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Right, that's about what I expected to see. The recent ones are perhaps sheet steel?
Hmm no, they are actually forged and strong but slim. Supposedly they are made from truck springs.

The one I owned in the past you can flex it very close to 90 degrees and it will return straight.

Though the touristy ones in copper mounts are made from thin sheet steel or alluminium.
Old 13th September 2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Iain

Quote:
Hmm no, they are actually forged and strong but slim. Supposedly they are made from truck springs.

The one I owned in the past you can flex it very close to 90 degrees and it will return straight.

Though the touristy ones in copper mounts are made from thin sheet steel or alluminium.
Right, truck springs seem to be the universal source for sword steel in the 20th century.