Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st July 2017, 02:14 AM   #1
estcrh

Default The sales and shipping of swords to the USA??

Just the other day I purchased a sword from a forum member who lives in England, he was going to ship and then suddenly he refunded my payment, his reason was......
Quote:
U.K. Law has changed to banning public sale of swords.
Parcelforce,dpd, dhl, ups list them as restricted items even if they are antiques. Each have said there would be an issue at US customs at point of entry and in that eventuality they couldn't cover the value of the sword
I have purchased swords and daggers very recently from England and had no problem with getting them shipped to me, does anyone here have any info on this supposed situation that the seller is claiming??? Any help would be appreciated as I would like to clear this up, thanks!!!
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 02:41 AM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Seller's Remorse?

I have very recently had swords coming from Europe to the US via the postal system and there have been no inbound US Customs issues. For ethnographic specimens, use tariff code 9705.00.00.70 to expedite processing.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 03:04 AM   #3
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I have very recently had swords coming from Europe to the US via the postal system and there have been no inbound US Customs issues. For ethnographic specimens, use tariff code 9705.00.00.70 to expedite processing.
I have just recently purchased a sword from Stefan (Ashoka Arts) who lives in England and it arrived in the US without any problem. I know of Ebay sellers who are in England and they sell swords for export without any problem as far as I know. I just wanted to see if anyone had a problem or heard of any recent problems selling swords from England to US buyers, I think the seller I was dealing with was given bad information (not unusual).
Old 31st July 2017, 05:18 AM   #4
Philip

I received a 17th cent. Polish saber from a UK seller just 3 months ago, no problem whatsoever. It came via ParcelForce and was not even opened for inspection by US customs. Just weeks ago, a seller on the Continent shipped a flintlock gun dating from the same period, he sent barrel and stock separately and again, it entered the US without any inspection.

But not long ago, someone else in the UK advised that Royal Mail would not accept antiques of any kind -- perhaps on the basis of not wanting to deal with claims for loss or damage (UPS used to deny antiques outright a few decades ago). I have not had the opportunity to verify this piece of advice and, as with the recent news received by the originator of this thread, it may or may not be correct.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 05:28 AM   #5
mariusgmioc

I purchased a sword recently from the UK and I didn't receive it yet as the seller said the carrier refused to take it and said it is a weapon. So now he is looking for another carrier.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 06:04 AM   #6
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
someone else in the UK advised that Royal Mail would not accept antiques of any kind -- perhaps on the basis of not wanting to deal with claims for loss or damage (UPS used to deny antiques outright a few decades ago). I have not had the opportunity to verify this piece of advice and, as with the recent news received by the originator of this thread, it may or may not be correct.
I checked the Royal Mail web site for international restricted and prohibited items and found nothing about antiques being prohibited, I did not see swords mentioned either.

Restricted goods - international
https://business.help.royalmail.com/.../863/related/1

Prohibited goods - international
https://business.help.royalmail.com/.../865/related/1

Guide to sending items to the USA from the UK
http://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america
Old 31st July 2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Kubur

Hi Estcrh

It's true most of the carriers now don't want to ship weapons, even within UK.
It really depends of your seller as I don't think that is prohibited.

Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote