Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th November 2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Miscellaneous Swords in an Omani Souk.

Salaams, A couple of strange swords I encountered in Buraimi Souk today.

Said to have come in via a Syrian supplier. One badly rehilted (aluminium hilt) with what could be a European stamp on the blade. The second possibly a court sword with a not unattractive clossonne multi coloured brass hilt. The curved blade with floral geometric figure five decoration.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

The top one I can not see enough to say but the bottom one appears to have all the traits of 1970s Spain/Toledo to my eyes looking at the poor styles and colouring to the hilt. The blade also to my eye shows a rust patina peeking through a plated surface
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
The top one I can not see enough to say but the bottom one appears to have all the traits of 1970s Spain/Toledo to my eyes looking at the poor styles and colouring to the hilt. The blade also to my eye shows a rust patina peeking through a plated surface
Salaams freebooter, Not sure... could be... I thought the clossone'd hilt could be Algerian or Syrian. What we rightly regard as pretty poor quality swords sometimes had a particular role ... I believe wedding adornments for the groome and others as court swords. They were never serious weapons. Load of junk probably ~ and a touch of artistic licence from the souk man telling me, perhaps, what he thought I wanted to hear !

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 9th November 2011, 03:01 PM   #4
A.alnakkas

Hello,

I think the 2nd sword is a rehilt from a mundane tulwar. The hilt is indian and is not of great quality. I wouldnt buy them both :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree I wouldn't touch either one.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hello,

I think the 2nd sword is a rehilt from a mundane tulwar. The hilt is indian and is not of great quality. I wouldnt buy them both :P
Salaams A.alnakkas and Battara~ Quite agree .. They are both in the "junk locker" in my opinion but that wasn't why I posted them. I also think that a sword to which has been added a stamp is quite often rare enough these days to cause me to pause a moment and possibly enquire further. In addition I think an interesting running article can be drummed up from regular visits to the Arab Souks so that forum can see the visual effects thus bringing to their screen some interesting views... I will work on that.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th November 2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: consolidation
Old 10th November 2011, 03:19 PM   #7
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
...In addition I think an interesting running article can be drummed up from regular visits to the Arab Souks so that forum can see the visual effects thus bringing to their screen some interesting views... I will work on that.
Ibrahiim, I agree - it's always interesting to see scenes and opinions on different markets, especially Arab souks, where many items we colect started their journeys. There are many markets, but only a handful where some interesting items as well as authentic athmosphere still remain.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote