Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Emanuel

Hello, here's some more material to the debate.

In "Arms and Armour of Arabia" p.78, Elgood discusses the shafra, also known as a sikkin, al-khusa, rish or matwa, in various parts of the Arabian peninsula. It is a curved single edged knife, often worn behind the jambiya. They are often decorated with silver.

Of particular notice:
Omani silverworking centres include Nizwa, Rustaq, Ibir, Sur, and Bahla. Silverwork in Rustaq is identifiable by its flower motif.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Default Arabian I would think also

As has been suggested by others here, I would also say Arabian, and probably a Shafra. As suggested by Emmanuel, this type of knife is often worn as a "back knife" to the Khanjar/Jambiya, but this one is bigger than those of I seen worn in this way. Similar to the Shafra in shape, is the 19th century Al Mahri Khanjar, from the Al Marah region of southern Arabia. Size of this item is approx same as the one in this post.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Emanuel and Stuart, thank you so much for these outstanding contributions.
This is exactly what I had hoped would evolve, supporting references and more similar examples.
Nice work on the reference from Elgood, Emanuel! I had completely neglected consulting that most important source (oops), and you picked up the ball beautifully.

Stuart, thank you for the detailed information on these interesting knives and for adding the regional notation. It is really great when these threads become comprehensive data on a weapon type that we can refer to in future research, sort of a running research file.

It would seem we have established a good base of support for the Arabian attribution, and have little beyond the Egerton illustration toward the Nepalese/Bengali possibility. Without further support for that side, it would seem clear this is indeed a shafra type knife from Arabia.

Thank you so much guys!
All the best,
Jim

It would be interesting to know more on the range of terms on these weapons in Arabia that seem varied according to regions. Hopefully our linguists versed in Arabian might help?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 12:20 AM   #4
kronckew

another arab knife with the primary edge on the inside of the curve is the north west african koummya

also a much shorter false edge on the outside of the curve. this one was marked tunisia 1933 by a previous owner via a small nail punched inscription on the grip near the blade end. (i'm not terribly fond of the large grip, it is not comfortable - the original poster's one looks much more practical.) it has an 8.25in. blade...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote