Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th June 2022, 05:14 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Palaw'an panday

During a field visit to a Palaw'an mountain village in Southern Palawan I had the good fortune of encountering a panday at work. Great to see traditional methods still alive and well. I figured some of you would enjoy seeing photos.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 10:17 AM   #2
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
During a field visit to a Palaw'an mountain village in Southern Palawan I had the good fortune of encountering a panday at work. Great to see traditional methods still alive and well. I figured some of you would enjoy seeing photos.
Thanks for the photos! The blademakers in that area are active indeed. The traditional methods live on!
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 11:24 AM   #3
chmorshuutz

They have good craftsmen, I knew of this one that makes exquisite carvings, probably the best one I've seen among all Filipino carvings. Very intricate.
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2022, 11:58 PM   #4
David R

Really, really good to see this. Great to see these guys at work, and pick up little things like the temporary grips/handles on the still being forged blades. Thank you.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 12:10 AM   #5
Ren Ren

Thanks a lot for these wonderful photos!
Possibly the best photos of traditional Southeast Asian forges and bellows I have ever seen!
I know of only four types of bellows used by Asian blacksmiths. One of them, which was used in North and Northeast Asia, disappeared about 100 years ago and is known only from illustrations. The second, from Southeast Asia, is disappearing before our eyes Perhaps in 20 years only these photos will remain.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 09:53 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Was he doing some kind of repair to this blade? I have never seen a smith forging after the handle has been placed.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 11:52 PM   #7
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Was he doing some kind of repair to this blade? I have never seen a smith forging after the handle has been placed.
Yes, I think so. Some of the blades in the picture below, which I believe to be his work queue, need repair. The second picture below shows what looks like a freshly completed blade with a handle blank. The last picture was taken in another part of the village, the man in the middle was carving a handle (near his foot) and you can also see a scabbard in process.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote