Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st May 2022, 05:40 PM   #1
JBG163

Default The achang dha

Dear all,
I just acquired an achang dha (can't post pictures for now on as i didn't received it) and i would like to get more information concerning them.
I dug every threads about them in the forum but i would like to ask if someone have references concerning those swords.
Ian looks to be the most knowledgeable forumnite on the subject, and, honestly, i would be really happy if you could help me !
The handle is classic burmese silver, no guard, scabbard is open faced and there is a carved pannel. Blade is probably hairpin patterned and quench is quite visible

My precise questions are :
"What does discriminate that sword as an Achang dha ? Is it the pannel or the open faced scabbard ?"
"Does it exist exemple in museum collection that you all are aware off ?"
"Does it exist any books, catalogue or any references talking about them and pinpointing the tribe?"

Thanks all in advance !
I look forward to read you
Best,
Julien

Last edited by JBG163; 31st May 2022 at 06:08 PM.
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2022, 01:21 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Julien,

I'm afraid there is not a great deal available in the form of reference material on the Achang and their sword-making. You probably have read already everything I know about the subject. I do have some pictures that I collected online over the years and will post some of these. I believe that I have some showing the forging and decorating techniques, and several examples of contemporary swords made by them.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 12:55 PM   #3
JBG163

Thanks Ian !
Really hard to find infos... especially about old exemple.
Here is my exemple. I Will share more picture when i got it in hands
Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 12th June 2022, 08:41 PM   #4
Sajen

Very nice example, it will look beautiful after some TLC!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 04:16 AM   #5
JeffS

Love the scrollwork on the scabbard. Really nice blades on these. Is that silver on the handle? Does it have a pommel cap? Looking forward to seeing it cleaned.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 09:44 PM   #6
JBG163

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
Love the scrollwork on the scabbard. Really nice blades on these. Is that silver on the handle? Does it have a pommel cap? Looking forward to seeing it cleaned.
Thanks for her ! Yeah, it's awesome stuff. I will give you more info on the cap when i have it in hands. The handle is silver yes
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:33 PM   #7
JBG163

Here we go, with a bit of delay !
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2022, 12:04 AM   #8
JeffS

Thanks for that. Here is my example.
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2022, 01:50 AM   #9
RobT

Default I Also Have Questions

Hi All,

I have a dha that had a label on the sheath which said, "KACHIN 1945". The hilt of my dha (which is all copper) matches JBG163's example very closely but the sheath looks like a typical Shan or Kachin dha sheath. According to Wikipedia, there are Achang living in the Kachin State where they are known as Ngochang. Perhaps whoever collected my blade got it from an Achang living in a Kachin area and assumed that the owner was Kachin? Or Perhaps a Kachin obtained the blade from an Achang and had a new sheath made for it? Because of the sun stamp by the hilt, I had always assumed the blade was of Husa manufacture but the same Wikipedia article mentions a group of Achang that call themselves Husa Achang. Could my sword have been of Husa Achang manufacture for the Kachin market? The blade of my dha has a peaked spine, hua tat, and measures 22-1/8" (56.1975cm) long.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

Last edited by RobT; 24th August 2022 at 01:58 AM. Reason: add'l info
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2022, 05:11 AM   #10
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
Hi All,

ICould my sword have been of Husa Achang manufacture for the Kachin market? The blade of my dha has a peaked spine, hua tat, and measures 22-1/8" (56.1975cm) long.

Sincerely,
RobT
My blade has very fine hairpin lamination (pic below), and I understand that is a known characteristic of Kachin sword dao. Do you see this on your blade? Husa is a village (area) that is ethnically Achang and from what I have read on this forum, supplied weapons for many different ethnic groups. I also read they attribute their swordmaking history and other distinctive traditions to Han Chinese from the Ming army who stayed behind (1400's) and married into the Husa Achang community. I think it is cool that you can find Husa swords being made and sold on Ebay that look to be very high quality (though modern designs) with distinctive hamon. I also understand the village still produces traditional sword dao with the scrollwork open scabbards.
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2022, 06:33 AM   #11
JBG163

Hi Rob and Jeff
Rob, in my opinion, your sword is a shan dha from burma.
Jeff, blade is almost the same on our swords. Quench line start the same way and the thin lamination with hairpin pattern are identical. They were great craftsmen !
Old 24th August 2022, 08:42 AM   #12
kronckew

Although made in Yunnan, that pretty much all of these swords with this typical silver dress hilt are those made for the Kachin and Rawang Kachin , Nung Kachin,, ot branches of the Lisu peoplei n Burma and Yunnan north Thailand, in short they were made by the Yunnanese but for many peoples in both Burma and Yunnan. Other tribes who used such swords were the Chins.

The Husa Achang are also makers of many swords and working tools for the Kachin and even the Shans today, so it really is hard to say who in tribal origin race or region would have used this, Kachin dao, would still be the best way to explain this and its origin.

See also: https://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=265678
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2022, 10:32 AM   #13
JBG163

Its an interesting response Kronckew.
The amount of informations about those swords is quite low.
But we know that the Achang produced swords for several ethnic groups.

Now, that specific type have specials features différent than the other one produced : open work panel or simple panel.

Were they used by the achang themselves or sold to the kachin and Singpo neighbours ?

I didnt found any informations for now
Old 26th August 2022, 01:42 AM   #14
RobT

Default Kachin & Hairpin

JeffS,

Although I have eight dha that I consider most likely to be Kachin (either because of the tip [hua tat or hua tat kong] or the style of the hilt), none of them have a tweezer weld. Also, none of them are in fine enough polish to show whether they have had differential edge heat treatment or not.

JBG163,

You identify my sword as Shan and you may be correct but it was labeled "Kachin 1945" so something must have caused it to be so designated and, as kronckew pointed out, ascribing dha from this area to one ethnic group or another can be dicey.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 10:37 AM   #15
JBG163

Youare right Rob,
Always tricky as part are generally matched from different région. In the culture or later. Kachin tends to prefer flat end as said a good friend.
It all always a guess

Last edited by JBG163; 26th August 2022 at 11:01 AM.