Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2023, 08:23 PM   #1
werecow

Thanks for the examples Detlef. I must say I agree with Ian in that I'm going to have a harder time than usual telling these apart.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2023, 01:35 AM   #2
kai

Wink

Sorry, being a bit late to the party!

Looking from a distance, you may classify a car as a SUV. Manufacturer, model, age, etc. will make quite a difference for someone interested in cars though.

Bornean swords can be quite a challenge: Subtle details can make quite a difference! And examples in text books are not rarely misattributed. IMHO, it's important trying to place them into a multidimensional space not only including ethnic (sub)group, blade type, hilt style, etc. but also considering historic timelines and estimated age when classifying any specific piece. There are oddballs and cross-over pieces, too.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2023, 11:41 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
... IMHO, it's important trying to place them into a multidimensional space not only including ethnic (sub)group, blade type, hilt style, etc. but also considering historic timelines and estimated age when classifying any specific piece. There are oddballs and cross-over pieces, too.

Regards,
Kai
Kai, I agree with you. If someone has a special interest in these particular swords, then it may be worth the effort and time to try to understand the various local names that may apply. The question comes, at what point does this attempt become a "name game." For the collector with a somewhat passing interest in such items, such as myself, I'm pleased others are willing to try to sort this out but I'm also content to recognize the swords here as simply jimpul.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2023, 03:21 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
For the collector with a somewhat passing interest in such items, such as myself, I'm pleased others are willing to try to sort this out but I'm also content to recognize the swords here as simply jimpul.
I really doubt that it's a jimpul.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2023, 03:19 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Thanks for the examples Detlef. I must say I agree with Ian in that I'm going to have a harder time than usual telling these apart.
Thank you as well! Me too but I like to learn!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote