Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th June 2006, 01:35 PM   #1
John

Default National Museum (Muzium Negara), Kuala Lumpur - A virtual tour for keris lovers.

Pictures taken 21st June, 2006 during a recent trip to Kuala Lumpur. Also had the good fortune of meeting a third member of this forum, Raja Muda who showed me around Kg Baru and where we had Moroccan steak and great ginger teh tarik. Thanks Fazli.

Enjoy.

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 05:14 PM   #2
VVV

John,

Thanks for investing all the hours to post the pictures and share your experience with us.
Some very nice Keris for future reference.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 05:22 PM   #3
MABAGANI

Great virtual tour and you all at kampungnet are awesome...
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes thank you so much - enlightening, informative, lovely examples.......
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 04:37 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I REALLY ENJOYED THE VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE MUSEUM IF I COME THRU K.L. AGAIN I WILL HAVE TO STAY FOR A WHILE AND SEE THE MUSEUM AND THE SIGHTS. I ALSO TOOK A LOOK AT JOHNS COLLECTION, CONGRADULATIONS ON A FINE SELECTION I HAD BEEN WANTING TO SEE IT.

JOHN IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOUND A LITTLE TIME TO HAVE SOME FUN , WAY TO GO! THANKS FOR THE PICTURES.

ONE OF THESE DAYS I PLAN TO GET A GOOD CAMERA AND A NEW PROGRAM FOR THE COMPUTER AND SEND SOME KERIS PIC'S TO THE KAMPUNG NET SITE. THE SITE IS COMING ALONG NICELY AND IS A VALUABLE RESOURCE FOR KERIS COLLECTORS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 01:05 PM   #6
John

Thanks all for the kind words. As always, Alam Shah has helped with much of the captioning of pictures. Many of the items at the museum do not have labels or supporting information so it’s starting off with whatever we know of (and for me somewhat guessfully) and hopefully others would fill in the blanks with whatever familiar.

Personally, it has been a desire to see as many varieties and styles under the Sun in the spectrum of Keris, Kris and other ethnographic stuffs and it has been exciting to see a common gallery at Kg Net with a growing pool of collections from members, collectors and museums as an invaluable reference resource. Thanks to our member Rahman for the opportunity (as host) and Alam Shah for providing much assistance.

And Barry, you are always welcome for a revisit, the door is open. Maybe you’ll find another Pakayun in Borneo . You may like to send either to me or Alam Shah some pictures to begin with for an album (?). You’ve so much to share… Would like to see Mabagani, Battara and others putting up stuffs too …and have more exposure to the Sundangs, etc etc…
Old 12th July 2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Raja Muda

Default Keris in Museums

Dear John,

It was great to meet someone from the Forum in the flesh. I had the pleasure of meeting Rahman and Shah earlier and I hope the others might get in touch, if they're ever in KL.

For everyone's information, the displays in the weapons gallery underwent a revision recently. There are other places to view antique keris in Kuala Lumpur. The Islamic Arts Museum has a small but interesting display, including one Keris Kapit Panjang from Sumatera, though I always spend hours there looking at tulwars, saifs, katars, Mughal flintlocks and Ottoman armour. It's the only place in Malaysia where I can have a firsthand look at the weapons our other forumites are obsessed about.

John, I hope you're already planning your next trip to town, or maybe you're planning to go to Terengganu instead? I'm sure the state museum in Losong would please anyone with a thing for sharp Malay toys
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 01:12 PM   #8
John

Thanks again Raja Muda for the hospitality and directions and see if I could squeeze some time during the next transit at KL to see a few more exciting places. Didn't quite had enough of Hj Mat's shop at Kg Baru as I was "chased out" barely 15 minutes at the shop due to poor timing or perhaps the man was having some "angin". I'm now in India and still recovering from the bombing shock which took place just less than 24 hours after arriving here though not at Mumbai.
Old 13th July 2006, 01:48 AM   #9
Raja Muda

Default In Transit

Hi John

Take care and keep safe. A very wise man once said "all we are saying, let's give peace a chance." I hope more people would actually listen to him.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote