Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
BBJW

Default Tulwar inscription question

Can anyone tell me anything about this tulwar and its markings? The blade is 31 inches long. Thanx in advance

bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hi BBJW,

Are these the only markings on the blade? The pictures are not too god I am afraid, could you take some better? Where exactly are these markings? I think I know, but I would like to be sure, and I am not sure I can help you, but let us see with some better pictures, and a close up of the hilt as well. Any markings on the hilt?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 05:33 PM   #3
BBJW

Default More hopefully better

P K points to markings. Crescent moon on both sides 10.75 inches from tip.

bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 03:36 AM   #4
RSWORD

The markings are probably Indian made in imitation of similar markings sometimes found on European blades. As European blades were treasured in parts of India it is not uncommon to find these faux marks probably meant to improve the marketability of the blade.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Rsword. The multiple arrangement of symbols in the fullers is often seen on early sword blades from Europe, and it seems that similar arrangements appear on Italian swords. The blades from Portuguese and often Italian swords were often used by native armourers in their firangis (Hindu basket hilts) and as Rsword notes, these numerically arranged symbols were likely intended to assert the quality of the native forged blades in imitation of the markings seen on the foreign blades.
It seems that the circled dot is a solar symbol that is seen on weapons in varied regions, but it seems to me that they often appear on weapon motif in Afghanistan and northern regions of the subcontinent.
The other markings in the arrangement seem like they could be sanskrit devanagari characters or associated symbols, but as yet cannot find anything similar.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote