Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 26th March 2021, 11:37 AM   #1
Athanase

Default Origin of a shortcuts keris

Hello,

I would like to know which region of Java this Keris comes from.
I bought it for its handle but I don't know the origin of this style.
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 02:37 PM   #2
Jean

The kris is from Eastern or Northern Java IMO, and the nice hilt is in one of the Ganesha Cirebon/ Tegal styles.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Interested Party

Default A question for the knowledgable

Is this hilt a north coast Java? Ganesha, with a tumpal motif at the base, decorated with lozenges. Each lozenge quadrant having a 3 sided swastika creating a vegetative type pattern. Finally in the 2nd row down, right side photo, do I see eyes below the crook staring out? If so the two raised triangles give me the impression of stylized tusks.

Just my guess. I am interested to see at how accurate it was once others weigh in.

Jean beat me while I was typing

Last edited by Interested Party; 26th March 2021 at 02:40 PM. Reason: jean answered
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Athanase

Thank-you
I did not think that this handle was of the Ganesh type because we can guess a squatting human form but there is nothing to symbolize the trunk.

But indeed, the style of the grip reminded me of North Java while the scabbard and mendak seemed more in an East Java style.

I very very rarely know how to find the origin of a blade, but here it is so worn and also seems to have been shortened, it is totally impossible for me (and perhaps impossible at all).
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 07:40 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

I'd be happy to give it as North Coast, or even East Jawa, as Jean has said, but I think its stretching things a bit to give the hilt as Ganesha.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 09:21 PM   #6
Jean

I agree that the identification of this hilt as Ganesha is questionable but what does it depict if not Ganesha or a gajah?
Several types of Cirebon or Tegal hilts interpreted as depicting Ganesha do not clearly show a trunk, I can show you some specimens if required.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 02:51 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Ask the carver.

Jean, it is a fact of life with keris hilts, and for that matter, with other forms of plastic art in both Jawa & Bali, that we sometimes cannot make a connection between the carving that we see in front of us, and some easily identifiable personality.

Yeah, I know that Ganesha as well as other hilt forms get reduced & reduced & reduced, but for me, this bloke has been on too much of a diet to make the grade.

You can call him Ganesha if you wish --- but don't Ganesha's dad & mum hear you.

Siwa has your number.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote