Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th June 2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Im very glad we have moved part the 'value' issues on this Khyber and have returned to discussion of the ethnographic forensics of the sword itself. In my opinion if a weapon is bought for personal enjoyment and satisfaction in accord with ones interests, not for resale, then within reason the cost is irrelevant.

I also appreciate the excellent observations being placed in order to set a plausible time frame and possible regional attribution to the weapon.
Jonathan, excellent grist for the mill on the note on Sikh armourers in Kabul!!! I have to dig out my Egerton now

As Lew has well noted, the borders in these Northwest regions were notoriously vague in the 19th century, and of course tribally remain very much so regardless of any cartography. As I was well advised by a notable writer on these regions many years ago, '..weapons of course have no geographic boundaries".

The zoomorphic head on this pommel is in stylized fashion reminiscent of the makara heads from regions in India, as well as the horned devil head from the Qajars. It should be remembered that Central Asian weapons were strongly influenced by Persian much as were many Indian forms, and this of course profoundly includes Afghanistan. The dramatic stylization here is compellingly suggestive of tribal efforts in crafting in these often remote areas.

The dot in circle motif, though known in other areas, is notably present in Afghan weapon motif and I have seen these often profusely decorating thier daggers, lohars and even on a buzkhashi whip handle I have.
I would point out, as has been well noted, variation, sometimes even somewhat extreme, is typical in weaponry in these remote regions, and though most warfare is modern, the traditional weapons are still very much in use. Modern weapons were actually not necessarily available to many if not most warriors, and they resorted to whatever weapons they could find.

The blade markings noted by Ibrahiim are nearly indiscernable representations of the 'sickle' marks of usually dentated half circles with three dots at each end, the others seem to represent the linear X and letter marks often seen on 17th and 18th century trade blades of the type seen often on khandas. The sickle marks are one of the most often marking configurations typically seen on paluoar blades, which of course are distinctly recognized as Afghan swords. This blade I agree seems to have good age to it, and may date into the latter part of the 19th century.

This would place the blade itself in use at the time of events of considerable importance in these regions, and times of high adventure and historic magnitude. It was easily in use in my opinion before the turn of the century and then may have even seen use during the 3rd Anglo-Afghan war in 1919, when many older Afghan weapons were fashioned into ersatz supply for many native forces. We have seen numbers of these hybrids and anomalies over the years. The strife continued well into the 1930s between the British and tribal factions, and of course the presence of warfare in these regions remains it seems eternally at hand.

With these things considered, I think it is a fascinating example...of course it is simply my opinion, but think if nothing else, the blade has stories to tell, this old warrior from "The Great Game" . !!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote