Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Emanuel

Default Tibetan knives/swords

Hello folks,

I just got back from a quick trip to Goa, and to my surprise found a lot of Tibetan people settled there. At a few booth during the Saturday night market, I met Tibetans selling various Tibetan crafts, including the small utility knives we've discussed on this forum before. Some looked old, perhaps early 20th century, others new, made with aluminium fittings. The gentleman selling these said they were called "tri" or "tree". This prompted a google search, which revealed that these knives, and swords as well, are still produced. In some cases it looks like the same old production methods are used and the blades are forged with hairpin (or rainbow) pattern:

http://www.tourdechina.cn/Blog/Tibet...-of-Tibet.html

I don't recall seeing this link before on the forum, but my apologies if this is old news.

FWIW, the sellers at the market were asking for 1,800 INR (~40USD) for the nicer knives. I think I could have haggled down to $20-$30 had I been interested in buying.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
spiral

Excelent link Emanuel! Food for thought... Thank you!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Hello folks,

I just got back from a quick trip to Goa, and to my surprise found a lot of Tibetan people settled there. At a few booth during the Saturday night market, I met Tibetans selling various Tibetan crafts, including the small utility knives we've discussed on this forum before. Some looked old, perhaps early 20th century, others new, made with aluminium fittings. The gentleman selling these said they were called "tri" or "tree". This prompted a google search, which revealed that these knives, and swords as well, are still produced. In some cases it looks like the same old production methods are used and the blades are forged with hairpin (or rainbow) pattern:

http://www.tourdechina.cn/Blog/Tibet...-of-Tibet.html

I don't recall seeing this link before on the forum, but my apologies if this is old news.

FWIW, the sellers at the market were asking for 1,800 INR (~40USD) for the nicer knives. I think I could have haggled down to $20-$30 had I been interested in buying.

Regards,
Emanuel

Salaams Emanuel ~ Great thread and excellent reference material. Amazing what can come from a simple workshop ... This is a great report.. Thanks... Im off to Goa !!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice to see the process..........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Atlantia

Excellent article Emanuel.
Thanks for sharing
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 04:49 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Hi Emanuel,

Thank you for posting this... where abouts in Goa did you find this market?

Cheers,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Emanuel

Hi Chris,

It's in the Baga-Arpora area every Saturday night. It mostly features textiles, jewelry/bangles and trinkets though.

Best,
Emanuel
Old 30th March 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
laEspadaAncha

Hi Emanuel,

Thank you for that... That's rather convenient, considering that when we go, we stay nearby in Anjuna.

Best,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Emanuel

Nice! Check out Janet and John's all you can eat seafood dinenr in Ajuna. Great food and live bands for Rp400 And Lilliput Cafe has fabulous butter chicken!

Be aware that usually there are two Sat night markets going on at the same time in Arpora. One is along the main Calangute-Anjuna Road, next to the go-cart race track, the one I went to is further south next to the Arpora Salt Pans.

Cheers,
Emanuel

Last edited by Emanuel; 31st March 2012 at 05:42 AM.