Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Talking French Field cannon drawing

I picked this up today by chance when I passed a local junk shop and saw it hanging in the window. After a closer look through the window I saw it was a superb pencil drawing and well framed. I proceeded inside and after I haggled the already bargain price, the owner removed it from the window and was as astounded as I first was to see it was actually hand drawn.

The images I am presenting do not do it any justice at all, flash and glass do not mix. It is of the highest quality, very fine pencil work with colour that you are likely to see in a while on a subject such as this.
I love the side view of the cannon in the carriage with the ram rod and chain, followed by the plan of the cannon, ram rod, cannon ball and wadding.
There is also a signature G.Burn 12.91 in the bottom right corner.

What I wish to know from those in the know is, from what original cannon would this image have been taken?
I see there is a LOUIS XIV notation to the rear of the carriage.

Any direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 05:01 AM   #2
Spiridonov

touch hole looks like vagina
Spiridonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Hmmm

I as yet cannot find anything about this cannon in particular.
I can find heaps of scale models of this cannon for sale but still no particulars?
I have also found this cute little clip of a modified model that is found for sale... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DB_XPz0hI

Gav
Old 17th July 2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default It will sit nice

No Ideas? Just a stylized representation of what one would look like?

It will sit nice with the other artillery collectables, the old gate plaque and an unusual model of a seige cannon.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gav,
Unbelievable that such a beautfully drawn picture would be found in such a place! I thought such things happened only about a zillion yesterdays ago. I think these are the best finds.
Also unbelievable that there are no observations with more information on this as many enthusiasts as we have on artillery, but perhaps there are not as many as I have suspected.

In any case, a very nice item that does go well in artillery or period grouping.
What little exposure I ever had to artillery was an old cannonball from the war of 1812 I bought in New Orleans. As I recall it caused quite a stir in airport security, not to mention the weight, and my wifes grumbling about it!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 04:33 PM   #6
celtan

Very observant, it certainly does. In Spain, Artillery was called "The Queen Of The Field", which goes hand-in-hand with your observation. OTOH: Muskets are given the masculine genre, and are associated to less noise and damage than the former.

Similar to Real Life, Hmmm..?

: )

This cannon is very decorated, reflecting its Bourbon ancestry. Napoleonic made guns were more practical and down-to-earth.

An odd detail is that it has no upper handles/hooks, something typical of Spanish and French guns.

Notice that there were separate rammers for ball and charge, and even a third, smaller one...

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiridonov
touch hole looks like vagina
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote