Valjhun

Default Damascus Briquet, just finished on ebay

Hello,

What precisely is that sword?

KLIK

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Ron Anderson

I believe it's a German infantry hanger from late 19th century.

I almost bought this sword earlier in the year. In fact I did buy it but was able to cancel the sale when I discovered that this damascus pattern was brought out through acid etching technique. It is one of many swords restored by a professional restorer in the US who focusses on bringing out the inherent damascus patterns in the blades he finds.

This may not be a problem as the pattern is already in the steel, but I buy swords for their historical signficance and feel this type of damascus pattern does not represent the sword as it was when it was made or being used.

This is an interesting point for discussion and I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Anderson
I believe it's a German infantry hanger from late 19th century.

I almost bought this sword earlier in the year. In fact I did buy it but was able to cancel the sale when I discovered that this damascus pattern was brought out through acid etching technique. It is one of many swords restored by a professional restorer in the US who focusses on bringing out the inherent damascus patterns in the blades he finds.

This may not be a problem as the pattern is already in the steel, but I buy swords for their historical signficance and feel this type of damascus pattern does not represent the sword as it was when it was made or being used.

This is an interesting point for discussion and I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this.

I kind of agree with you Ron.
My first thought was that its been etched on the 'off chance' and this is a 'fortunate' result.
There are interesting patterns that by etching could be observed in the steel of many blades that we would certainly not regard as 'damascus'.
But certainly with a sword like the one in question, it seems like they should only be 'revealed' as part of a research study and not as a marketing ploy or to increase the value of a common sword.
Sadly, if this one is anything to go by, once people realise this can add a premium, we'll see a lot more!

Last edited by Atlantia; 31st October 2010 at 11:10 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote