Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Question Philippine cutlass/dirk/???

Here is another odd epray find said to be from an estate sale. Being that it is so unusual I thought that I would post this to get everyones opinions. It looks to be from Luzon, but with a blade shape that I have never seen before on a Philippine sword. I cannot find any evidence that the blade on this has been reshaped from a straight blade to this style. The blade on this piece also shows some evidence of being used. Whether it was done in actual combat or just someone playing around there are several nicks that look to be from blade to blade contact and one area where it was struck hard enough to de-laminate a small area of the blade. Here are the measurements;
The horn hilt on this is 5-1/4 inches in length and the blade is slightly under 1/4 of an inch thick at the hilt. The length of the blade measured along the cutting edge is just over 20 inches and is 1-1/8 inches wide at the hilt.
I believe that a blade of this shape could however be used to great advantage in tight quarters fighting such as found onboard a ship and that is why I am thinking that this could possibly be either a cutlass or dirk. One last thing, the blade is beveled on only one side with the other side being flat. All opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the quality of the first couple of photos.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 12:23 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hhhhmmmmm...... If it is Filipino, I agree that it would be Luzono and 19th century. Many Filipinos did board and sail on Spanish galleons for 400 years.......
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 01:49 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Many Filipinos did board and sail on Spanish galleons for 400 years.
I don't think that this piece is quite that old, but there was a Philippine Revolutionary Navy in 1898. Possibly this might/could have belonged to one of its members? Someone else has suggested that this might have been made to be used from horseback for making slashing cuts.

Last edited by Robert; 31st August 2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 31st August 2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

The style of hilt certainly fits with a Central Luzon origin, probably Spanish influenced with that D-guard, although we should not forget the significant Filipino-Chinese community in Luzon also and the possibility of Chinese influence.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Sajen

Hello Robert,

what an unusual find! Like you I never have seen a curved blade by this type of sword. Agree with Jose and Ian about age and origin. And it seems nearby that it is a local "copy" of a naval spain cutlass.
A very interesting addition to your collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Ian, I agree that this shows very distinct Spanish influence in the hilt. The blade (with it exaggerated curve) on the other hand reminds me more of an early to mid 1800's British Midshipman's Naval dirk. Unfortunately, sometime in its past someone cleaned the blade by using a wire wheel most likely mounted on an electric grinder. This has left a pattern of scratches over the entire surface of both sides of the blade. Normally I would just leave it as found, but instead I have decided to try to remove at least some of these for no other reason than to have it look a little more like it would have originally.

Detlef, you know me always looking for the strange and unusual. I am glad you like it and yes it will go into my personal collection with all the other Spanish influenced Philippine weapons I have been fortunate enough to acquire over the years. I forgot to mention the fact that the blade of this is sharp on the outer edge only.

The only other Philippine sword/long knife that I can think of with an exaggerated curved blade like this are the more touristy looking ones sold as "Negrito Bolo's" on epray and other sites. Speaking of these, has anyone ever seen a really old example of one of these and not just the ones made around WWII and later? My thanks to everyone who have commented and given information on the original subject of this thread.

Best,
Robert