Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
thinreadline

Default LONDON BOWIE with Manding decoration

I picked up this rather lovely item at the Preston Arms Fair last weekend. It is a London made bowie knife by Preist & Co of Oxford St made around 1870s/ 80s . It has a respectable 10 inch blade. What attracted me was the Manding leatherwork scabbard and grip . I have also illustrated the same pattern of knife unmodified from Ron Flook's excellent book 'The London Knife Book 1820-1945'.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 05:55 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ITS ALWAYS FUN SEEING ITEMS LIKE THIS AS I ALWAYS WONDER WHAT THE STORY WAS BEHIND THIS HAPPENING TO THIS KNIFE. IT APPEARS THIS BOWIE WAS MODIFIED BY MANDINGO CRAFTSMEN IN AFRICA AND NOT SOMETHING PUT TOGETHER FROM ODD BITS. THE WORKMANSHIP IS GOOD AND THE BLADE SHOWS WEAR FROM USE PERHAPS THE STYLE CAN BE CALLED AFROBRIT. CONGRADULATIONS A INTERESTING AND UNIQUE BOWIE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi

Very interesting, I like these "crossover" or "crosscultural" type objects. I've seen some weapons (usually daggers) the other way around, ie. African blades in European style handles & sheaths. Often wondered if they were commissioned by natives or colonials ??
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi

Very interesting, I like these "crossover" or "crosscultural" type objects. I've seen some weapons (usually daggers) the other way around, ie. African blades in European style handles & sheaths. Often wondered if they were commissioned by natives or colonials ??
Yes Colin this is something I wonder about . For example this could be a knife 'acquired ' by an African and restyled to local taste or indeed it could be a knife owned by a European hunter etc who had it locally customised.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote