Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Rafngard

Default My First Barung!

Hello All,

I just received my first barung (an epray purchase), and am super excited!
The seller says this is from the Moro insurgency period, but it came from epray, so who knows? Hopefully I haven't been epreyed upon.

I've read through quite a few barung posts in the archives, and to be honest I'm not quite sure where to start on trying to identify when and here this is from. So I hoped to get some opinions from here.

It looks like it's missing some pitch on one side, and the handle was clearly damaged at some point, and fixed on one side. The blade is nice and heavy. Over all everything is nice and tight. The ferrule is nice and long and looks like it could be silver. I can almost see a lamination pattern on the blade. I'm hoping to do the silver test and etch the blade in the near future (I have a couple of Kris to do the same to as well, so I have some work ahead of me!).

The scabbard also has some damage, particularly to the bottom, and someone carved some sort of initials on the back (V.N.B.E.L. and I have no idea what that might mean). The brass (I think) bands look like a latter addition. I can kind of see wider bands where something like a rattan wrap would have originally been; the polish on the wood looks different there, as can be seen in some of the pics).

I'd be glad any to hear any opinions anyone may have on this.

Thanks, in advance,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 07:36 PM   #2
Rafngard

More pics
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Leif,

since nobody comment until now I will give it a try. I think that it is a Samal barong, 1900-1930 as age guess. The brass bands at the scabbard are not original and maybe much later. Would like to see better pictures when you have received it but I think that it is coated with some sort of varnish, maybe shellac. I have a barong which is also coated with shellac, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=barong
I don't think that the ferrule is from siver, could be white brass.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 01:38 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well Detlef you beat me to the punch. I agree Samal and early, with the bands being later.

If you etch the blade I'll bet there would be lamination or pamor in the blade.

Congratulations!

Last edited by Battara; 16th June 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 05:20 AM   #5
Rafngard

Detlef,

I think you right that the handle at least is shellacked. I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned something, but as I look at it, it does look too glossy. Fortunately the blade does not seem to be coated.

Also, you're very kind to think that these photos are they sellers and not mine. I don't (yet) have a great camera, and the hand you see in the photos is my own. That said, the seller's photos are worse, but I can post those as well if people think they would be helpful.

Thanks,
Leif
Old 15th June 2015, 05:31 AM   #6
Rafngard

Batara (or Jose, which ever you prefer),

Thanks! I'm very happy with it! No I just need a Kampilan, and a mandau, and probably about 20 other things.

...once I save up a bit. I think the bug bit me bad...

I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about etching a blade. I've yet to do so, and I have three to do at this point (the maguindinao kris and the maranao kris you identified in a previous thread). I'm thinking the procedure here is what I'll do, specifically with vinegar.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...09&postcount=5

Thanks,
Leif
Old 15th June 2015, 06:57 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
Also, you're very kind to think that these photos are they sellers and not mine. I don't (yet) have a great camera, and the hand you see in the photos is my own. That said, the seller's photos are worse, but I can post those as well if people think they would be helpful.

Oh, sorry. I also have only a cheaper camera but take my pictures outside or near by the window when we have good light, this is very helpful.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote