Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th August 2008, 04:38 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default YOUNGER Keris

Dear All,

I hope this won't make you frowning. These pics are about "younger" style kerises. Or what keris-people call it, keris "nem-neman", or "nom-noman" (youngster). Two kerises -- solonese (paku buwanan style) and one with jogjanese (early hamengku buwanan style)... I hope you enjoy them

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 05:21 AM   #2
ganjawulung

Default CONTEMPORARY Kerises

Dear All,

And these pics below are about contemporary keris making in Solo. The first pic, two students from Institut Seni Indonesia in Solo (Indonesian Arts Institute) were studying making keris under instruction of Empu Subandi Supaningrat -- a young empu of Kraton Surakarta in his "besalen" in Ngringo, Karanganyar just outside of Solo. And also, a contemporary keris-maker Sukamdi with his recent creations of "keris kamardikan" (independence keris) with "two-in one" dhapur, and his very recent creation of "keris gelombang cinta" (wave of love, inspired by the recent popular plant vastly grown among people in Solo, kind of anthurium leave)...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2008, 06:53 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Default PAUZAN'S Pamor

Dear All,

This humble gentleman, Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo -- also once a Kraton Empu and "mantri pande" or 'minister' of Kraton keris maker but now retired, holding his creation of pamor "kalpataru tree" (made in mid 1990-s). His other well-known creation (collaboration) of pamor making is "poleng wengkon" pamor. Poleng wengkon, consists of squarred horizontal and vertical motifs -- designed by a German Dietrich Drescher (I would ask to Ki Jaya Malela, please...). This collaboration, amazed keris people in Java too in 90-s. Bravo! (I took this picture on 5th of August 2008)...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 24th August 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 24th August 2008, 07:26 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Another image of a kalpataru.

This is the 227th. blade completed by Pak Pauzan, and was completed in Januari 1993.Dhapur jalak sangu tumpeng.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 02:08 PM   #5
sjors

Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo even wrote a booklet about "poleng wengkon" pamor. I'm proud to say he personally gave me a copy when I visited him in 1992.
Attached Images

sjors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 07:03 PM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Another image of a kalpataru.

This is the 227th. blade completed by Pak Pauzan, and was completed in Januari 1993.Dhapur jalak sangu tumpeng.
Thanks a lot, Alan, for the accurate info on Pak Pauzan. Yes, he always mentioned you and also Dietrich. Pak Pauzan has a good notes and written documentation of all his past works on keris. Also the names of people who had commissioned kerises to him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjors
Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo even wrote a booklet about "poleng wengkon" pamor. I'm proud to say he personally gave me a copy when I visited him in 1992.
Exactly, Sjors. He wrote a booklet "Summary on Keris Making" (Ringkasan Pembuatan Keris) -- the fourth edition on 1992. Even his wife had transcripted for him the "keris making" book of the late Empu Singawijaya ("Pandameling Duwung") from javanese or caraka scripture...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2008, 07:33 PM   #7
ganjawulung

Default BALI

And this picture below, is showing a Balinese keris maker Pande Ktut Mudra in Kusamba, Klungkung, North-eastern of Bali. Please look at the many sacks of charcoal from teakwood -- "imported" from Java. (Only in java -- especially East Java people are still making charcoal from teakwood that is able to burn iron material more than 1000 degree celsius?)
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Marcokeris

Hallo Ganja
I remember the place! I was there some years ago....the keris maker had a big piece of (he said) meteoric stone ... very, very heavy (i took a photo but i don't remember where is now).
I remember a nice trip by car with my family to go to Kusamba along fields and fields and fields completely full of coloured flowers (for Bali's ceremonies)...nice!!
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 10:52 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Yes, Pak Pauzan always kept records.

Some of more elaborate keris he made were superb works of art.

However, no matter how good Pak Pauzan's keris work may have been, he will be remembered as one of nature's gentlemen. I have known Pak Pauzan and his wife since 1974, and I have never known him to be less than a perfect gentleman, and a most decent and honorable man. He is one of the very few people in whom I am prepared to place 100% trust.

I have a copy of Pandameling Duwung too, which I had translated. In fact, I have copies of all the books on keris that are in the Mangkunegaraan Library, and those in caraka script I have had translated to Indonesian.
Old 26th August 2008, 01:58 AM   #10
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
I remember a nice trip by car with my family to go to Kusamba along fields and fields and fields completely full of coloured flowers (for Bali's ceremonies)...nice!!
Yes, Marco, it is the same besalen you've seen. Pande Ktut Mudra is the son of Pande Mangku Wija -- the offspring of one great Balinese empu in the past in Banjar Pande, Kusamba. The name of the "banjar" (specific neighborhood association in every kampung in Bali), which bears name "pande" (smith) indicates that in the past this banjar were the place of Balinese keris smith. And usually, the offspring of Balinese empu also wears name "Pande", as does the owner of Keris Museum in Bali, Pande Wayan Sutedja Neka (I think he's been photographed by someone in Nusa's post 'KERIS EXHIBITION').

And I think you've been here too, Marco (please see the pic below). Another besalen, but in Gatak village, in Sumberagung, Moyudan, Sleman Jogjakarta. The besalen of the late Empu Djenoharumbrodjo -- the last offspring (15th descent) of Majapahit empu, Supo Anom. He died in 2006, he had not been married until his last day in this world. Now Pak Sungkowo (picture) below, his nephew, is continuing the work for the late Empu Djeno...

Both -- Pande Mangku Wija in Bali and also the late Empu Djeno Harumbrodjo -- had been revived to make kerises (after the family tradition had ceased for years) by Dietrich Drescher...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 05:03 AM   #11
Newsteel

Great pictures guys. This is refreshing! Taking a younger or newly made keris up on the stage.

I understand there are keris exhibition and competition going on at Indonesia. Maybe Pak ganjawulung can show us some good pics. I received this picture from an email from Indonesian keris collectors and friends. I am very impressed by this new made betok.
Attached Images

Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 06:31 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Now where have I seen that before??
Old 26th August 2008, 04:07 PM   #13
ganjawulung

Default EXHIBITION -- at Bentara Budaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsteel
I understand there are keris exhibition and competition going on at Indonesia. Maybe Pak ganjawulung can show us some good pics. I received this picture from an email from Indonesian keris collectors and friends. I am very impressed by this new made betok.
Hi Newsteel,
I saw that betok with "pamor poleng" in the keris exhibition in Bentara Budaya, Jakarta on last August 12-16. Yes, it was made by Pak Pauzan Puspasukadgo, but owned by a Jakarta collector.

There were around 200 blades or more, exhibited in the main hall. Consists of 60 percent new era kerises, and 40 percent "reference" kerises (old kerises). But the "selling section" in two halls -- was a very special attraction too. There were more than 100 kerises "for sale" (some in normal prices, but many of them with higher prices than normal) -- in more than 16 selling tables...

Unfortunately, I didn't take many photos of kerises behind the glass boxes in the main exhibition halls (not for sale). But I took some snapshots on the "selling corner" as you may see in the pics below... (The bearded gentleman with white cap, is Mr Haryono Guritno -- the writer of "Keris Jawa" book).

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 04:31 PM   #14
ganjawulung

Default JAKARTA'S Keris Guests

Dear All,

During the "new era" (kamardikan) keris exhibition in Bentara Budaya, Jakarta on August 2008, we have some special keris guests, Mrs & Mr Bronwen and Garrett Solyom (as you may see in the picture below). Of course, the authors of "The World of the Javanese Keris" (1978) gave a keris lecture to the Jakarta audience. Interesting lecture.

One month earlier, Dietrich Drescher also came to Bentara Budaya -- an art Centre owned by a daily newspaper -- informal meeting with some Jakarta keris lovers. And of course, a "special" wayang gift for the German gentleman who once encouraged some "sleeping" keris-maker families in Jawa, to get up and making keris again...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 05:00 PM   #15
ganjawulung

Default KRISDISK Author

The Danish "Kriskdisk" author, Karsten Sejr Jensen (and wife) also came to Jakarta, only a couple days before the keris Exhibition. You may see their picture, when they visited Mr Haryono Guritno -- the author of "Keris Jawa" book. Friendly conversation on a friendly visit, of course...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 05:21 PM   #16
ganjawulung

Default New CENGKRONG

Back to younger style of kerises, here is a new design of a keris with dhapur of "Cengkrong with luk", created by Ki Sukamdi -- solonese keris maker. Not yet stained with warangan. It is just "fresh from the oven"...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 06:04 PM   #17
Marcokeris

GREAT GANJA!!!!!
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Most of my keris are Nem Neman; I have seven antique blades dressed and a couple of more waiting .

The new work can be outstanding .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 08:52 PM   #19
ganjawulung

Default Another KERIS GUEST

Another special keris guest, Mr "Big" Suhaimi from Singapore, with (first and third from left) our keris friends from Malaysia. The far right, is KRT (Kanjeng Raden Tumenggung) Hartonodiningrat -- the winner of "keris forming competition" in Bentara Budaya Jakarta 2006, from Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia.
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 08:55 PM   #20
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Most of my keris are Nem Neman; I have seven antique blades dressed and a couple of more waiting .

Good "garap", Rick. And it has a unique form of "wideng" on the "greneng" side. Inverted "wideng"...

Ganjawulung
Old 26th August 2008, 09:38 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I'm glad you like it Ganja; thank you .

Kelangan really reveals the sculptural aspects of a keris .

I was drawn to the unusual and flamboyant form .

For me the ada ada flows just like the moving snake .
Old 26th August 2008, 10:48 PM   #22
Andrew

Quote:

I really like that one alot, Rick. Is it as massive as it "feels" in the photo?

BTW, your deck needs sealing.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 11:12 PM   #23
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I really like that one alot, Rick. Is it as massive as it "feels" in the photo?

BTW, your deck needs sealing.
Yes and no Andrew, it is a stout blade that has been deeply carved .
A nice balance has been achieved in its making .

I've been thinking of sealing the deck Andrew but the damn things are federally protected , not to mention very heavy .
Old 26th August 2008, 11:43 PM   #24
A. G. Maisey

Not quite Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo, but poleng, none the less.

There's some clever little fellers up in Aeng Tong-Tong, isn't there?
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2008, 01:29 AM   #25
Newsteel

Great stuffs.. hey!! "Mr Big Man" was there??? His a friend of mine too. It would be good also to have keris exhibition cum competition that was held at Kelantan Malaysia. Perhaps introducing one or two great local pandai (smith).
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 03:24 AM   #26
ganjawulung

Quote:
Kelangan really reveals the sculptural aspects of a keris .

I was drawn to the unusual and flamboyant form .

For me the ada ada flows just like the moving snake .
Me too, Rick. I like "kelengan" (keleng = all black) kerises either. The first one is made by a young Maduran, Sulhan before 2006 (I got it in 2006, during exhibition in Bentara Budaya). The other is made by Ki Sukamdi around 1996, new dhapur at that time he called it "peksi dewata" (heavenly bird, I've posted this one before).

Yes, all kelengan needs good garap. Usually keris makers makes kelengan keris with much "kruwingan" and "ada-ada", and also must be fine in finishing the smaller details...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2008, 05:06 AM   #27
Andrew

Quote:
Yes and no Andrew, it is a stout blade that has been deeply carved .
A nice balance has been achieved in its making .

I've been thinking of sealing the deck Andrew but the damn things are federally protected , not to mention very heavy .
If you use the small ones, they're easier to handle.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 02:58 PM   #28
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Those are beautiful kerises Ganja !
I have 3 Kelengan kerises .... so far .

@ Andrew, that deck was never sealed; 23 years now .

Not to mention the Grinners around here have dibs on all the little ones ... big ones too .
No one argues with a White Pointer .
Old 27th August 2008, 04:05 PM   #29
ganjawulung

Default NAGA to be

This is another "kelengan to be" Rick. A new design of Naga dhapur, by Ki Sukamdi. Not yet finished, and even not yet formed. Still a "kodokan". Usually, Ki Sukamdi draws with 1:1 scale in a piece of paper to make his kerises....

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2008, 06:35 PM   #30
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Formidable !

I hope you will be able to show us the finished work .