Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th April 2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Queequeg

Default Bruce Lee's Whip/Stick

I've got another film weapon question.

I've been looking for a (bamboo?) stick like the green, twisted stick Bruce Lee used in "Game of Death" against Dan Inosanto (I'd be grateful to anyone who can point me to one for sale, by the way.)

youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASKPXEJxzfY
(action figure picture here, if it helps)

Also, does anyone know if it was just a film prop, or are there real sticks as flexible and tough as that? I've never seen actual bamboo in a naturally twisted shape like this, let alone in this color:
(screenshot from above video)
Attached Images

Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Queequeg

I think that is a made up weapon it looks like a stick or riding crop to me. Dans stick work does not even strike me as authentic Arnis it seems contrived made up to suit the movies at that time. When you compare it to what you see today on youtube it looks so fake. We have come along way since the 1970s.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Queequeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Queequeg

I think that is a made up weapon it looks like a stick or riding crop to me. Dans stick work does not even strike me as authentic Arnis it seems contrived made up to suit the movies at that time. When you compare it to what you see today on youtube it looks so fake. We have come along way since the 1970s.
True in many ways.

The more I watch this clip, the more I get the impression that this stick (whatever it is) has a more rigidity than I first thought; see the part where he taps the tip on the floor in the beginning of his face-off.
Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 08:02 PM   #4
kronckew

try a south african sjambok .

the originals are made from hippo hide, tough ain't the word.

cold steel makes one in polypropylene

they have unfortunate apartheid connections so are not politically correct.

(so of course, i have one )

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Dimasalang

The above clip is the chopped version that they edited in to the movie.
Here is the supposed complete version of their duel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c1oZvv1ujM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Queequeg

Dans stick work does not even strike me as authentic Arnis it seems contrived made up to suit the movies at that time. When you compare it to what you see today on youtube it looks so fake. We have come along way since the 1970s.
I agree. Dan Inosanto was also born and raised in California. I haven't looked in to Dans background well enough to know who he learned Eskrima/Arnis from...obviously he didn't go to the Philippines to learn. He did a couple big no-no's that are basic knowledge to twirling a stick. Either way, I gotta give it up to Dan Inosanto, he did bring FMA to the forefront and brought it to the movies. FMA was unknown back then. And not many other arts can say they fought against Bruce Lee on the silver screen.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
broadaxe

Twisted rod sjambok-like weapons are usually made of ox penis. In the west there is a version made to look like a walking stick of dignity, from well tempered spring steel rods.

The scene from "The Game of Death" made also think of the Portuguese long stick fighting, the Jogo do Pau. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxWt6sIq3k
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 03:50 AM   #7
fearn

There's also Chinese hard rods, and I'd guess that's where Bruce Lee's getting his inspiration. Not that I don't like Jogo do pau, but that was pretty unknown outside Portugal until recently.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 01:05 AM   #8
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
try a south african sjambok .

the originals are made from hippo hide, tough ain't the word.

cold steel makes one in polypropylene

they have unfortunate apartheid connections so are not politically correct.

(so of course, i have one )

Last edited by Rick; 21st April 2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Commercial site link, item for sale .
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 06:31 PM   #9
t_c

Interesting picture and movie clip. I would look at it keeping in mind Bruce Lee's western fencing background - just take a look at that grip . If you are looking for something that would perform like that I would suggest a fencing foil or epee (if you prefer steel). When I first saw the picture I actually thought it was a twisted flat piece of steel.

In the clip he says it's bamboo!? Can you form bamboo? Shape, boil (or soak), twist, dry in a clamped position, oil? Would some process like that work?
t_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 07:15 PM   #10
fearn

Looking at it again, I'm thinking more that it's a foil blade, coated with something. The taper is (probably) too extreme for bamboo. The color is irrelevant, since spray paint can be any color. Also, that tapping probably came from a foley artist in post production, not from the stick.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 07:20 PM   #11
aiontay

Back in the 1980s I was at a Dan Inosanto seminar. He was showing different Filipino weapons. One of them was a piece of rattan which had been taped down and had brass tip. It was definitely a specialized weapon, and I suspect something like it was the basis for Bruce Lee's weapon.
aiontay is offline   Reply With Quote