Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2016, 11:11 PM   #1
TCole

Default Technique??

I am unsure of what this technique is. It appears on an Indian shield, described as Benares enamel but looking at the technique closely it looks like Bidri work to me with inlaid brass. The pitted brass and weathered appearance of the surface of the brass looks 'old'. But is it Bidri work? And if so.. from the Deccan?? Thanks...
TCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 01:49 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Pictures would really be helpful..........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 01:19 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Benares ...

Whilst the photos are being readied ... below a description and a photo from a now finished auction ...

Quote" from Wikipedia Benares brass is the term used for brassware from Benares (also known as Varanasi, Varenisi or Kaasi) in India.

Benares is a pilgrimage site in India, as it is considered home to Shiva or Visweswara, in Utash Pradesh (Uttar Pradesh State). Benares is particularly famous for its Benares Ware - decorative brass ware and the related popular tourist destination is the Benares Brass Bazaar. Benares is located in an area naturally rich in copper- a requisite ingredient of brass. Benares Brass is highly decorated by engraving, and highly sought after as an antique. Still produced, and available today are new and reproduction wares which may be any combination of embossed, engraved, enameled or burnished brass vessels and brass items.

In ancient India, brass oil lamps decorated with Sanskrit inscriptions, Hindu icons, women, and swans, were in early usage in Hindu temples, and households. Guilds were established in the various trades overseen by Karkhanadars: similar to the journeyman and apprentice of trades of European trades and artisans. Karkhanadars were required to train within the caste, or be subject to being outcasts themselves. The apprentice would need to develop his work for 6 years before achieving full wage and becoming a Karkhandadar. A school has been established in Benares to teach brassware and inevitably the timeless practices of the guilds are being replaced, to keep pace with modern societal demands."Unquote.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 09:26 PM   #4
TCole

Sorry about not having that image uploaded... thank you for your patience.

Here it is.. what is this technique? Can anyone be of assistance? Thanks in advance, and again, apologies for the delay.
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 09:30 PM   #5
TCole

a clearer shot? Put a sharpening 'tool' on it in photoshop but not a dramatic difference.
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Maybe this it a bit better.
No not really - sorry.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 10:45 PM   #7
David R

Hmm, Ibrahiim al Balooshi you have me wondering about this one i have on my wall?
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 10:47 PM   #8
David R

TCole, have you had a magnet on the item to make sure it is not blackened/blued steel?
Old 19th June 2016, 10:54 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

The background looks like darkened steel to me and not brass. The work looks like gold bidri to me.

It would be extremely difficult to inlay brass like this.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 02:28 AM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Benares Technique included enamel work....
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 04:18 PM   #11
TCole

It is not steel.. and I've read/heard that bidri work is done w/brass in addition to silver and gold. The pitting of the brass, the wear it has received as opposed to the black material which is unscathed is interesting. Bidri is a zinc composite with inlay work in silver, gold or brass... but brass is SO much harder than gold, now I am wondering is it low grade gold? Never seen a brass surface become so worn and pitted. Has anyone else??
Old 20th June 2016, 05:37 PM   #12
David R

I have seen silver inlay on a Bidriware tulwar hilt, so I suspect it is quite a hard alloy.... And there is no reason for the inlay not to be gold.
Old 21st June 2016, 04:31 PM   #13
TCole

Has anyone seen a brass surface look like this with pitting, and abrasion thru wear?