Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Cerjak

Default Japanese matchlock Teppo

Hi everybody

Just for show a new buying: a small Teppo ( 79,5 cm).
I would like to learn more about Japanese matchlock gun so if someone could suggest me good book or website it will be great.
Any comments or picture from similar Gun will be welcome

Best regards
CERJAK
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

Very interesting piece. I own five, and have owned a few more. Have yet to get my hands on a "carbine" length example. There are only two modern publications on the subject, that I know of. Volumes one and two of "The Japanese Matchlock -A story of the Tanegashima-" By Shigea Sugawa. Volume 1 is in English, the other in Japanese. There are some older books available, but they are all in Japanese, and quite expensive.
Given the simplicity of construction, and crudeness of decoration, I'd guess that your gun is either a gunsmiths early attenpt, or something made for the tourist trade. It does show signs of long term use. Whatever it is, I like it!
I'll see if I can come with more info.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Very interesting piece. I own five, and have owned a few more. Have yet to get my hands on a "carbine" length example. There are only two modern publications on the subject, that I know of. Volumes one and two of "The Japanese Matchlock -A story of the Tanegashima-" By Shigea Sugawa. Volume 1 is in English, the other in Japanese. There are some older books available, but they are all in Japanese, and quite expensive.
Given the simplicity of construction, and crudeness of decoration, I'd guess that your gun is either a gunsmiths early attenpt, or something made for the tourist trade. It does show signs of long term use. Whatever it is, I like it!
I'll see if I can come with more info.
Many thank for your help I will try to find this book in english .
I have with my teppo an expert appraisal from b.croissy ( French well know expert ) who says that it is a XIX century period so I hope it is a good one.
If you have some pictures from yours I will be happy to see them.
Best regards
CERJAK
Old 5th December 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
T. Koch

Wow, what an awesome gun! I really like it's lines and flow. It's also cool to see the Japanese minimalist aesthetics expressed in some of it parts, the cock for instance. Thanks for sharing it!

Take care, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
estcrh

Cerjak, is the barrel bolt (bisen) removable?

Here is a link to Shigeo Sugawa's website, he has a lot of usefull information and pictures, you can purchase his book directly through his site by contacting him, the email address is on his site.
http://www.japaneseweapons.net/hinaw...ui/english.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 5th December 2012 at 07:41 PM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
fearn

I have an off-the-wall question, for a project I'm working on: did the japanese have any bronze or brass-barreled matchlocks?

Thanks in advance,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Cerjak

Default barrel bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Cerjak, is the barrel bolt (bisen) removable?

Here is a link to Shigeo Sugawa's website, he has a lot of usefull information and pictures, you can purchase his book directly through his site by contacting him, the email address is on his site.
http://www.japaneseweapons.net/hinaw...ui/english.htm
Cerjak
Very good website ,a lot of information on it !
About this barrel ‘s square bolt it seems that it could be removable but it is rusty and there is a kind of black protective paint I Guess against the rust so It will be hard to remove it and I would be worry to do it.
But tell me more about those bolts are they always removable?
Regards
Old 6th December 2012, 05:24 PM   #8
trenchwarfare

Most of my breach-plugs, can be removed with the fingers. Sometimes a large nail, or similar metal rod is needed. Sounds like yours has been sealed against moisture. One more thing, always check old muzzle loaders, to see if they are loaded. At least 1/3 of the ones I have handled over the years, were. Drop the ram-rod down the barrel, and then mark it to see how deep it goes. Should go at least to the touch hole.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 11:38 PM   #9
bluelake

Look at Tanegashima--The Arrival of Europe in Japan, by Olof Lidin. It's the story of the matchlock in Japan.
bluelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Most of my breach-plugs, can be removed with the fingers. Sometimes a large nail, or similar metal rod is needed. Sounds like yours has been sealed against moisture. One more thing, always check old muzzle loaders, to see if they are loaded. At least 1/3 of the ones I have handled over the years, were. Drop the ram-rod down the barrel, and then mark it to see how deep it goes. Should go at least to the touch hole.
I have check and didn't find any bullet inside .
Many thanks

Cerjak
Old 8th December 2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelake
Look at Tanegashima--The Arrival of Europe in Japan, by Olof Lidin. It's the story of the matchlock in Japan.
Thank you for your advice

Regards

Cerjak
Old 10th December 2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Cerjak

Default BARREL MARKS

marks from the barrel
Attached Images

Old 24th December 2012, 07:50 AM   #13
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
Cerjak
Very good website ,a lot of information on it !
About this barrel ‘s square bolt it seems that it could be removable but it is rusty and there is a kind of black protective paint I Guess against the rust so It will be hard to remove it and I would be worry to do it.
But tell me more about those bolts are they always removable?
Regards
Cerjak, tanegashima barrel bolts were always removable but it is not unusual to find them rusted to the point that they can not be easily removed. From what I have read the only problem Japanese sword smiths who were tasked in the 1540's with replicating the matchlocks purchased from Portuguese traders had was with these barrel bolts, and it was not until a year after the Japanese first purchased matchlocks that the Portuguese returned to Japan with a blacksmith who instructed the Japanese on how to thread the barrel for these bolts.

Here is a excellent link to the National Museum of Japanese History, there are some rare prints showing how a Japanese matchlock was manufactured along with some other information, and a link to a Wikipedia article I wrote on tanegashima matchlocks.
http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/pu...14witness.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanegas...ese_matchlock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
I have an off-the-wall question, for a project I'm working on: did the japanese have any bronze or brass-barreled matchlocks?

Thanks in advance,

F
Fearn, as far as I know all there were no brass/bronze tanegashima, but the Japanese did cast small brass/bronze cannon with were ignited by hand. At least some of these types of cannon (taihou) were used for firing bo-hiya (fire arrows), these are called "hiya taihou". This image is a small cast brass/bronze hiya-taihou loaded with a bo-hiya.
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 24th December 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Cerjak

Quote:
Cerjak, tanegashima barrel bolts were always removable but it is not unusual to find them rusted to the point that they can not be easily removed. From what I have read the only problem Japanese sword smiths who were tasked in the 1540's with replicating the matchlocks purchased from Portuguese traders had was with these barrel bolts, and it was not until a year after the Japanese first purchased matchlocks that the Portuguese returned to Japan with a blacksmith who instructed the Japanese on how to thread the barrel for these bolts.

Here is a excellent link to the National Museum of Japanese History, there are some rare prints showing how a Japanese matchlock was manufactured along with some other information, and a link to a Wikipedia article I wrote on tanegashima matchlocks.
http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/english/pu...14witness.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanegas...ese_matchlock)

Fean, as far as I know all there were no brass/bronze tanegashima, but the Japanese did cast small brass/bronze cannon with were ignited by hand. At least some of these types of cannon (taihou) were used for firing bo-hiya (fire arrows), these are called "hiya taihou". This image is a small cast brass/bronze hiya-taihou loaded with a bo-hiya.
Hi
Many thanks for this link
because of your answer I just try again to remove this bolts and at last it was possible to turn it, but still not possible to remove it totaly I have put some oil and I will wait a couple of hours there is a lot of rust..
Kind regards
Cerjak
Attached Images

Old 24th December 2012, 11:15 AM   #15
estcrh

Quote:
Hi
Many thanks for this link
because of your answer I just try again to remove this bolts and at last it was possible to turn it, but still not possible to remove it totaly I have put some oil and I will wait a couple of hours there is a lot of rust..
Kind regards
Cerjak
Cerjak, your making progress!! Make sure to use a LOT of oil, the bolt threads are usually quite coarse. There is a special penetrating oil if it still will not come out that you can use, and you do not want to force it as they can snap. You can also put ice on the bolt head before trying to remove it as this will contract the molecules of the bolt slightly. Good luck.

If you get a chance can you take some pictures of the ramrod, thanks.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Cerjak

Quote:
Cerjak, your making progress!! Make sure to use a LOT of oil, the bolt threads are usually quite coarse. There is a special penetrating oil if it still will not come out that you can use, and you do not want to force it as they can snap. You can also put ice on the bolt head before trying to remove it as this will contract the molecules of the bolt slightly. Good luck.

If you get a chance can you take some pictures of the ramrod, thanks.
As you can see now the bolt had been removed ! Thank you for your advice but only one thing was wrong for me :Ice must be for the champagne
see some pic from the ramrod
Kind regards
Cerjak
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2013, 02:35 PM   #17
BANDOOK

Default NEED A RAMROD

HI WHERE COULD I GET A RAMROD FOR MY JAP MATCHLOCK,AS IT WAS MISSING WHEN I GOT IT,ANY WEBSITE OR DEALER WOULD HELP,MANY THANKS RAJESH
Quote:
As you can see now the bolt had been removed ! Thank you for your advice but only one thing was wrong for me :Ice must be for the champagne
see some pic from the ramrod
Kind regards
Cerjak
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 01:34 AM   #18
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
HI WHERE COULD I GET A RAMROD FOR MY JAP MATCHLOCK,AS IT WAS MISSING WHEN I GOT IT,ANY WEBSITE OR DEALER WOULD HELP,MANY THANKS RAJESH
You can make a karuka (ramrod) with some hardwood dowel.
Old 19th June 2016, 03:58 AM   #19
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
I have an off-the-wall question, for a project I'm working on: did the japanese have any bronze or brass-barreled matchlocks? Thanks in advance, F
While looking at this thread I realized that I answered wrong here

Quote:
Fearn, as far as I know all there were no brass/bronze tanegashima, but the Japanese did cast small brass/bronze cannon with were ignited by hand.
There are actually quite a few bronze barreled Japanese matchlock pistols. Below are two examples, one is basically a hand cannon with little decoration, the other is a smaller caliber with a highly decorated barrel.
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 04:41 PM   #20
rickystl

Hi Cerjak.

That is a nice looking carbine length Teppo. Congrats.
As far as the breech bolt removal, I was about to recommend Kroil oil. (best I've used). But I see you have already accomplised the removal. Great !!
What we normally associate with a breech plug is a shorter length plug with fine threads that tightens against the breech face of the barrel somewhat similar to a wheel lug of an automobile.
Rather, in the case of Teppo barrels, they use a bolt (better term in this case) with coarse threads, and longer length. The flat face of the bolt simply meets the breech flush. The bolt head is then held firm in the snug fitting hole in the stock. Actually, a clever design. While unusual, it does in fact work. I've never had an issue while firing mine.
Again. congrats. A nice piece.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 05:01 PM   #21
rickystl

While on this subject, this might be a good time to pose a question about these Teppo's that is still a mystery to me. That being the design of the front and rear sights. Especially the rear.

First the rear site: On the top there is a very thin slot with a partially drilled hole. On the side there is a hole that runs horizontal through the width of the sight. This one horizontal hole seems to be common on every Teppo I've seen.

Front sight: Again, a partially drilled vertical hole (like the rear sight) is present, along with a slot.

It seems that both sights were designed for some type of additional attachements. But I have no idea what it would be. Any ideas about this?

Here are pics of the rear sight:
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 05:02 PM   #22
rickystl

And here is the front sight:
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 05:40 PM   #23
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
While on this subject, this might be a good time to pose a question about these Teppo's that is still a mystery to me. That being the design of the front and rear sights. Especially the rear.

First the rear site: On the top there is a very thin slot with a partially drilled hole. On the side there is a hole that runs horizontal through the width of the sight. This one horizontal hole seems to be common on every Teppo I've seen.

Front sight: Again, a partially drilled vertical hole (like the rear sight) is present, along with a slot.

It seems that both sights were designed for some type of additional attachements. But I have no idea what it would be. Any ideas about this?

Here are pics of the rear sight:
Rick, may people have pondered this question, obviously these sights were used in some why that we are just not understanding, probably due the the movable part of the sight being missing on most Japanese matchlock, all we see is the base.

You have to go back to the old samurai gun manuals that each individual school of gunnery kept, these were secret manuals meant to pass on the accumulated knowledge of each school to its students.

I have some images from these gun manuals on my Pinterest site, here is a link.

Japanese firearms illustrations through the Meiji period.

https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiq...gh-the-meiji-/
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 06:00 PM   #24
estcrh

Shigeo Sugawa has a web site both in English and Japanese which is well worth taking some time to browse through, he has info on all types of Japanese firearms and other weapons etc. Shigeo is the author of "The Japanese matchlock:The Story of the Tanegashima"

Below is the must complete glossary of Japanese matchlock terms that I know of.

http://www.xn--u9j370humdba539qcybpym.jp/

http://www.japaneseweapons.net/
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 09:23 PM   #25
rickystl

Hi Estcrh.

You are a wealth of information !! Thanks for the info. and Links. Most interesting.
It does in fact appear that at least the rear sight was designed to accomodate a variety of different pieces to adjust the elevation or otherwise change the sight picture. This makes more sense now.
I did measure the heighth of both front and rear sights on my barrel. And they are the same. What's interesting is the front sight on mine appears made to accept similar sight adjustment pieces, versus a fixed blade. Possibly to allow sight adjustment on either or both sights. (?) Curious.
But thanks again for the info. and Links. Most helpful and interesting reading.
Rick
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2016, 10:44 PM   #26
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Estcrh.

You are a wealth of information !! Thanks for the info. and Links. Most interesting.
It does in fact appear that at least the rear sight was designed to accomodate a variety of different pieces to adjust the elevation or otherwise change the sight picture. This makes more sense now.
I did measure the heighth of both front and rear sights on my barrel. And they are the same. What's interesting is the front sight on mine appears made to accept similar sight adjustment pieces, versus a fixed blade. Possibly to allow sight adjustment on either or both sights. (?) Curious.
But thanks again for the info. and Links. Most helpful and interesting reading.
Rick
Rick, here is another image of a movable sight installed on a matchlock, not sure if it is original, and an image of what seems to be an original sight from a Japanese matchlock book.
Attached Images