Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2008, 04:00 AM   #1
nKante

Default Face protection

Can anyone cite any examples of african warriors wearing face protection during combat? I found evidence of helmets and protective headgear. The only thing close i've come across is the coral bead collar that covers the lower face of warriors in Benin plaques. Katana's avatar is an example.
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Some Sudan as in Mahdist helmets may have protection as they are based on Indo/Persian types. I have not seen others unless you have an example?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 07:23 PM   #3
katana

I have seen a late 19thC photograph of a tribesman wearing, what appeared to be a brass or bronze / leather gorget. Although this would be mainly protection for the neck, it also helped protect the lower jaw area. whether the gorget was a local invention or a copy of colonial influences I do not know. But as armour declined in Europe the wearing of a gorget (which became more of a stylised 'adornment') was a sign of prestige amongst officers......perhaps this was more to do with why the tribesman was wearing a 'copy'. More a symbol of power than armour

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
colin henshaw

It would seem in Africa that shields functioned as face protection, as well as protection for the rest of the body. For example the round shields to be found from the Beja tribes of Eastern Sudan, have small indentations at the rim, I think for looking through. I have also seen large 19th century Zulu shields with holes made near to the rim, probably also for looking through when holding the shield up in combat.

I don't know of any exclusive face protection used in Africa, but would be interested in comments from other forumites.

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most interesting question! and I cannot think of facial protection being a very common feature used by native warriors in Africa. The one instance I can think of would probably be related to the Benin warriors as noted, and the crocodile hide helmets often had a forehead guard, possibly metal (Spring, "African Arms & Armour" p.50). The raised neck cowl noted from Benin also is an interesting element.

Spring also notes on p.50, "...it is also not easy to determine the material from which armour was likely to have been made, and whether it was intended to provide the wearer with physical protection at all".

This seems to suggest that much defensive protection for warriors was likely reliant on supernatural beliefs, and while the shield as noted was a protective device to deflect from physical blows or projectiles, most other adornment perceived as armour or defensive was likely more supernaturally intended. Naturally the exceptions would be in Bornu and the Sudan as well as others, where helmets and mail were worn, but again, other than a nasal on the helmets, I don't recall facial protection.

It is well known that the fearsome and often almost bizarre looking masks of many African tribes were typically ceremonial, and carried important symbolism. In trying to find if any such mask was ever used as protection in warfare, I found this unusual entry:
"...masks were often worn into battle for spirits protected its wearer. If a mask proved to be a failure in combat, a human sacrifice would be made. These sacrifices were made to nurture the life back into the mask and renew it for, hopefully, a successful journey into war the next time".
"The Art of Africa" Elsy Leuzinger, N.Y. Crown,1960,p.28

Obviously, the first question one would ask is, if the mask failed, it would seem pretty ineffective, but I'm sure much deeper explanation would come from further research. It just seemed worthy of note, but again, the protection was not physical, as with armour in the true sense in our understanding.

On the Beja spears, it seems the notch in the edge had more to do with resting a spear if I recall correctly.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:18 AM   #6
nKante

Thank you all! Jim, that is exactly what i was looking for. References of masks serving a duel purpose, spiritual and physical protection. Does it say what tribe or region the mask were worn in combat? I would see a failure as being wounded. I can see how someone wounded would feel out of favor with the spirits and need to appease them with a sacrifice. Maybe the masked warrior served more as a spirital motivator for the warriors of a tribe and did not actively engage in physical combat.
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Bill M

I have several African "helmet masks" that cover the face from, Mambilla, Senofu, Igbo, Benin, Yaka, Burkino Faso, Bamana cultures -- but none that would offer much protection in battle.

Mine are of wood with leather and/or rattan, often shells -- cowrie being most popular -- embellishments.

These were all used in rituals. Most are designed to help the wearer achieve an altered state where he (or she, in the case of the Mende), became something more than just a person wearing the mask.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKante
Thank you all! Jim, that is exactly what i was looking for. References of masks serving a duel purpose, spiritual and physical protection. Does it say what tribe or region the mask were worn in combat? I would see a failure as being wounded. I can see how someone wounded would feel out of favor with the spirits and need to appease them with a sacrifice. Maybe the masked warrior served more as a spirital motivator for the warriors of a tribe and did not actively engage in physical combat.
Hi nKante,
The brief reference noted was found in a google search, and unfortunately did not give a tribal reference, however it does seem to me that warfare between many, if not most African tribes, was considerably different than that of our concept of all out combat. In my view, the use of psychological warfare was quite prevalent, and the idea of a masked warrior as a focal motivator or inspirational figure seems quite plausible. I would rely on those much better versed in African ethnography and society to offer more perspective though.

It does seem that many of the elaborately designed edged weapons and unusually featured examples might carry suggestive or fear inducing properties that often defy any practical explanation. Many of these very artistic creations are essentially ceremonial or bearing type weapons, and the masks are of course intended in the same sense.

Extremely interesting topic, and I hope others more specialized in African weapons and warfare will bring in more information. I think Bill's suggestion of transcendant potential with these ritual masks is very well placed, and seems to concur with your also well placed idea of a motivational warrior.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote