Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Dagger For Comments

Well folks, here is yet another Spanish influenced dagger from the Philippines in the style that I like so much. Late 19th or early 20th century. The wooden sheath is covered with an unknown material and has metal at the throat and tip. The guard and grip fittings are steel. The grip itself appears to be either horn, bone or ? I have not received this yet so I'm not really sure of the grip material. The triangular blade seems to be in fair condition with oxidation and possibly some pitting. It is definitely in need of a good cleaning. The dagger has a total length of 13-3/4". The blade is 9-1/2" in length, 1-1/4" in width and the hilt is 4-1/4". The sheath itself measures 10". Has anyone seen (for lack of a better term) the red pom-pom type decoration that is on this sheath before?
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Ferguson

Beautiful! Is it tortoise shell on the scabbard? I guess you'll have to wait til you receive it to tell. Very nice.
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Henk

Wish to see this puppy when you cleaned it. Very nice!! Congrats
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

The handle material looks like bone to me with some filler. Brass bands on the scabbard of either wood or turtle shell.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose,
If the scabbard is turtle shell is there any way of repairing any damage it might have? (He asks hoping you will say yes and want to take on another project)

Robert
Old 4th December 2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well.....yes it is possible....I would need to have it in hand and do a little research.
Old 4th December 2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose, Great!! As soon as it arrives I will take a few pictures and post them and then if everything goes well I will send the scabbard to you to do what you do so well. By chance have you seen the pom-pom type of decoration that this has on the scabbard before and if so does it have any special meaning? Thanks again.

Robert
Old 6th December 2006, 12:59 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have seen "pom-pom" decor on PI pieces before, like on my datu Mandaya dagger and on some Igorot clothing. It's meaning -
Old 8th December 2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your comments so far. The dagger arrived today and I am extremely happy with it. The grip is made from antler and that is what makes it look like filler has been used to smooth its surface when it is actually textured. The scabbard is covered in turtle shell and does have some minor as well as major damage. The blade and fittings on this are blued steel with surface rust throughout. I will be in need of some serious advice on how to and what to use in cleaning this item. What is the best way to remove as much rust as possible with out ruining the bluing? I'm not too worried about the scabbard as I plan on sending it to Jose if possible and let him decide on the best coarse of action in its restoration. I will post pictures later. Thanks again.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 9th December 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10th December 2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Here are a few pictures and as usual they are not the best. The throat of the scabbard is wrapped in rawhide. The fittings I believe are copper and it is missing four of the bands, one piece of the turtle shell and there is serious damage to one other piece. I have done a light cleaning to the dagger as I'm not to sure on what to use or how to clean what looks like blued steel without doing damage to the finish.
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2006, 10:02 PM   #11
carlos

Default BEAUTIFUL KNIFE

BEAUTIFUL KNIFE!!! I THINK YOU HAVE BUY A GOOD ADQUISITION. IN THE FORM OF THE KNIFE REMEMBER TO ME THE TYPICAL KNIVES FROM ALBACETE. I HAVE ONE SIMILAR.
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 10:13 PM   #12
Robert
EAAF Staff

Carlos,
Thank you for your kind words. I am really fascinated with these Spanish influenced weapons from the Philippines. If you would, please post a picture of your knife as I would really like to see it.

Robert