Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2013, 12:31 AM   #31
Battara
EAAF Staff

I guess this begs the question: does the hilt style and lack of cho make this piece in question other than a kukri?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:59 AM   #32
Emanuel

Hello,

The handle construction seems to be of Bukharan style no? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14093)

Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbladerunner
Thanks for the info guys. From the tip to the bolster is 16 inches and overall length in 21.5 inches.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 04:03 AM   #33
Battara
EAAF Staff

I don't know......it could be a little lower south, like say north India? The blade style I have seen from there. The handle - reminds me somewhat like a khanjarli from the side view (as I now think of it).......
Old 6th December 2013, 04:09 AM   #34
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Hello,

The handle construction seems to be of Bukharan style no? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14093)

Emanuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I don't know......it could be a little lower south, like say north India? The blade style I have seen from there. The handle - reminds me somewhat like a khanjarli from the side view (as I now think of it).......
Personally I see the handle as the hybrid aspect. The grip ring is that of one present on a Kukri and in about the same place and the protruding ears is more like the longer Afghan/Sindh swords but the presence of the grip strap is in line with North west India, Bukhara and other regions further removed.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 02:57 PM   #35
ariel

I was intrigued by the argument about definitions: kukri or sosun pata. AFAIK, kukri ( or proto-kukri) was brought to Nepal by the Rajputs who had sosun patas galore.

Both are just Kopis-type blades. Perhaps, kukri in its classical form was just adapted to the landscape and the size of the inhabitants?

Here is something I wanted to ask your question about: would you define it as a kukri or as sosun pata? It ain't no Afghanistan or India, for sure:-)
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 04:51 PM   #36
spiral

Good one Ariel!

Id guess Its a worn out kora, given a second life.

To me the splayed hilt kukri grip ring looks more Chillanum style than kukri style.

But whats in a definition, some kukris don't have a grip ring, some don't kaudi. Generaly I think a full length T spine means its not a kukri, but that's just my opinion. I think a Hindu could want a kaudi on any weapon its both practical & symbolic.

Some kukri have kora or khanda style grips.

These hybridised mix & match designs are great but truly defining them will probably come down to personal opinion, when they have mixed features.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 07:34 PM   #37
ariel

Please pay attention: it has a VERY old scabbard that fits the current blade like a glove. How would Kora fit there?

What prompted you to see re-worked Kora? Specifics, please. We see tons of Kukris with " Kora" handles; are they all, in your opinion, reworked Koras?

Where did you see Chillanum features?

It does NOT have a T-spine.
Old 7th December 2013, 08:37 PM   #38
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Please pay attention: it has a VERY old scabbard that fits the current blade like a glove. How would Kora fit there?

What prompted you to see re-worked Kora? Specifics, please. We see tons of Kukris with " Kora" handles; are they all, in your opinion, reworked Koras?

Where did you see Chillanum features?

It does NOT have a T-spine.
I was paying attention Ariel:..... It was you who failed there.

When I stated "To me the splayed hilt kukri grip ring looks more Chillanum style than kukri style." I was referring to youngbladerunners piece not yours. The clue to that was The statement "the splayed hilt kukri grip ring looks more Chillanum style than kukri style."

You say "We see tons of Kukris with " Kora" handles; are they all, in your opinion, reworked Koras?" No some are very genuine, even some of the tulwar handled ones are genuine as well! {not many though. }

You also say "It does NOT have a T-spine"

I never thought it was, but both youngbladerunners piece & one of Artzis have.

As for your kora hilted Nepali Hybrid/unusual oddjob, Koras have been around for hundreds of years, Its re life could have been a hundred years ago. or more!

Many re worked blades get new scabbards, this is common in many countrys...Even your own. After all its nice when the blade fits the scabbard.

Sorry if my talking of the features of youngbloods kukri/hybrid in a separate paragraph or sentence confused you.

I thought the splayed hilt, T spine & Chillanum ring piece references would be enough to help anyone deduce which of the featured items in this thread I was talking about at any one time would be clear.

Spiral
Old 7th December 2013, 11:40 PM   #39
Battara
EAAF Staff

OK Gentlemen, please keep it civil.....
Old 8th December 2013, 12:31 AM   #40
ariel

Spiral,
Having read the first 2 lines of your message addressed by name to me and then to the item I have just shown, I assumed that the rest of your message was also referring to it.
Perhaps, you could have stated in the beginning of the third line that you were changing the horses. Might have made your comments more clear. What do you think?
Old 8th December 2013, 10:10 AM   #41
spiral

Sorry Ariel.

Of course I agree Its always clearer if one used names or even pictures of each piece particularly when there are several pieces under discussion,through a thread. but I guess I was guilty of assuming others would pick up the details & features of each of the individual weapons under discussion.

But of course Sometimes life just seems to short. I think that's what happened there.

All the best,

spiral
Old 8th December 2013, 03:08 PM   #42
ariel

You are right, regretfully: it is far too short....