Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th May 2012, 01:56 AM   #1
archer

Default Cast Koumaya Parts??

This Koummya just arrived it had been just wrapped in tissue paper and the Post Office had its way with it unfortunately. I knew it was all silver, but, was puzzled as to how the bottom tip of the sheath hitting the box would cause crushing damage inches away. Was the whole sheath one unit made by a lost wax casting including the finial? The whole sheath is very thin has only one Rams head stamp as do the slotted cap for the blade and the baldric loops. The stamps are to verify the metal quality of a single piece. It weighed just under 150 grams. It is more likely they were cast as halves and cleverly joined.
I was impressed by the silver hilt made in the shape of a solid wooden or horn hilt. It is a tribute to the craftsmanship of the Jewish Jewelers who fled Europe and came to Morocco. It was acquired during the WWII African Campaigns by a GI who stored it all these years, new in the box.
I have others that seem to have been made and marked this way and a silver one that has a separately attached and marked finial.

Can anyone clarify the way these were actually made? The base metal ones show solder lines,
Etc. and it is easier to see their construction. Could the precious metal ones have been from a mold, or lost wax cast? Unlike base metal ones they seem to be more fragile, thinner to reduce costs and would make tooling the silver difficult.

I have included examples of likely cast ornate silver applied to a brass sheath. The blade Makers name M-L-L London may be Moses Lewin Levin shown in London knife Makers Book as operating 1855-1860.

Also included is one That comes from Argentina possible marks are well worn only one on the finial may
Be a silver quality mark it looks like a flower or bird?

When Visiting Morocco Please ask how theses parts are made. Thank you, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote