Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th December 2017, 12:23 AM   #1
kai

Lightbulb Sikin/Peudeueng Panjang for trade (or sale)

Looking for a (possibly partial) trade, I am always interested in Indonesian/Malay/Moro high-end pieces. Lesser or damaged pieces may also pique my interest, especially if unusual or rare. Send me some pics and let’s discuss! (There may also be other pieces including a very rare triple-crowned sikin available from my collection if you need more of a tease…)

Aceh peudeueng panjang or sikin panjang with high-carat gold & enamel tampo of glupa type; this is a high status piece which would have been restricted to members of the nobility (high religious leaders were also known to wear these; leading imans/scholars were usually of noble blood, anyway). I've kept this sword as I received it; from the wear to the blade, hilt, and, especially, iron guard/bolster, I'd estimate it to originate from at least the early 19th, possibly 18th century (could well be 250 years old and still going strong… ).

Very old hilt of the less common hulu rumpung type; with deep patina and crafted from albino waterbuffalo horn. Wear consistent with age, especially noticeable towards the gaping jaws (pommel); tip of tang exposed (cp. top view).

Classic panjang-type blade with well-defined fuller along the back; a broad, shallow fuller along the middle of the blade. Blade with the typical integral bolster including reukueng rungiet (guard at each side) and 9-lobed calyx (both typical features of sikin from the greater Aceh region). If preferred, I can give the blade a slight etch/staining to make the laminations more visible (like it was traditional in Aceh).

The extant original scabbard carved from the resilient wood typical for Aceh fittings - it shows some older damage probably due to this wood’s inherent brittleness in low-humidity environments. The extensive inked talismanic decorations are fully visible though; you'll note an additional inscription on the backside of the scabbard! The remaining metal ring holding the scabbard should be suasa (I haven't ventured into testing it yet since I didn't want to mess with the really old patina).

Sword length 654 mm; blade length 522 mm (545 mm including the integral bolster).

My collection number 11460; more details on provenance known will be provided to its new caretaker.

I'm looking for a trade (suggested value €850) for this status piece.
Please email me proposals or feel free to request more info at (utilize copy & paste):
HTML Code:
kai99.eaa@mailnull.com
Thanks for looking!

Season’s greetings,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote