Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Two shamanic Tonkin knives

Have won this two little knives by a german auction house. Me was told by an expert in this field that this are shamanic knives from the Tonkin area in Vietnam. Maybe someone else will be able to confirm this.
Both knives has antler handles of an unknown deer. The smaller one has a spatula similar blade from iron and has a dark patina, I only have removed carefully active rust. The collar is from silver. The bigger one has a blade from low grade silver alloy or a other metal, I am unsure by this. The collar is from the same metal and very nice embossed and the blade has naga or dragon engravings. Both blades are not made for cutting so an use by shamanic rituals seems nearby. When I look at them I think that both has a good age.
I post this knives for your enjoy but would also be very interested to know more about them, special for the real use. And of course I am curious to see similar ones. Just every comment and all informations are very welcome.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Sajen

Here some more pictures from the smaller one. It is nearly 23 cm long.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 30th April 2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 30th April 2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Sajen

And here some more from the bigger one. 29 cm long.
Attached Images

Old 30th April 2014, 07:29 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE CLOSEST I HAVE SEEN TO THESE KNIVES ARE FROM CAMBODIA. THEY HAVE ANTLER HANDLES AND ENGRAVING ON THE BLADES BUT WERE NEWER. THESE ARE OF MUCH BETTER QUALITY AND OLDER EXAMPLES AND MAY BE CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED AT LEAST THATS WHERE I WOULD START LOOKING FOR REFRENCES.
CAMBODIA, VIETNAM, LAOS ECT ARE IN THAT REGION WHICH USED TO BE REFERRED TO AS INDO-CHINA AND THERE ARE A LOT OF SIMULAR TRIBES THRUOUT THE COUNTRIES IN THE REGION. THERE ARE SOME OLD FORUM POSTS ON THE CAMBODIAN EXAMPLES FOR COMPARISON AND IT IS LIKELY SIMULAR KNIVES WERE FOUND THRUOUT THE REGION IN VARING QUALITY AND VALUE. YOUR EXAMPLES BEING OF THE MUCH BETTER QUALITY AND CLASS. THE DIFFERENT BLADE SHAPES MAY INDICATE THEIR USE OR NOT BUT THEY SURELY INDICATE THEY SERVED A DIFFERENT FUNCTION OR SHOWED A DIFFERENT INFLUENCE IN DESIGN AND DECORATION. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THE CLOSEST I HAVE SEEN TO THESE KNIVES ARE FROM CAMBODIA. THEY HAVE ANTLER HANDLES AND ENGRAVING ON THE BLADES BUT WERE NEWER. THESE ARE OF MUCH BETTER QUALITY AND OLDER EXAMPLES AND MAY BE CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED AT LEAST THATS WHERE I WOULD START LOOKING FOR REFRENCES.
CAMBODIA, VIETNAM, LAOS ECT ARE IN THAT REGION WHICH USED TO BE REFERRED TO AS INDO-CHINA AND THERE ARE A LOT OF SIMULAR TRIBES THRUOUT THE COUNTRIES IN THE REGION. THERE ARE SOME OLD FORUM POSTS ON THE CAMBODIAN EXAMPLES FOR COMPARISON AND IT IS LIKELY SIMULAR KNIVES WERE FOUND THRUOUT THE REGION IN VARING QUALITY AND VALUE. YOUR EXAMPLES BEING OF THE MUCH BETTER QUALITY AND CLASS. THE DIFFERENT BLADE SHAPES MAY INDICATE THEIR USE OR NOT BUT THEY SURELY INDICATE THEY SERVED A DIFFERENT FUNCTION OR SHOWED A DIFFERENT INFLUENCE IN DESIGN AND DECORATION. GOOD LUCK
Thank you Barry,

I have searched already but haven't found something similar! But anyway, thank you very much for comment!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 30th April 2014, 08:33 PM   #6
spiral

Fascinating pieces!

What age where they sold as?

The antler is from Barking deer or Muntjak, I have several Nepalese Karda & a Nepalese shepherds knife using such antlers for hilts, It is also used on small knife hilts in Burma, Thailand & no doubt probably Vietnam & Cambodia as well. { All in the Natural range of the Deer.}

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote