Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th December 2015, 11:22 PM   #1
Valdemar

Default Parang Latok; Some questions...

Fascinated with cutting tools. I use them routinely in my work for clearing trails, butchering, etc. I make all my own. Mostly various bolo and parang types, modified in design according to my own manufacturing methods. However, though I have many years and extensive experience with those I have made, to be frank, I have little knowledge of the details of Indonesian blades up close. I do have Stone's Glossary.

So a few questions about the parang latok, as I intend to forge one.

First, are all of them universally chisel ground? Or is this variable? Has anyone ever seen a left hand chisel ground parang latok? {I am left handed and make my own parangs w/ LH chisel ground blades so I'm curious}.

Second, what variations in handle types exist? That is, what materials are used? Is there such a thing as a full tang handle used on the parang latok?

Third, in heat treating the blades, I assume that the blades are spot hardened. Is this correct? I do all my own heat treatment and have developed techniques to provide a differential hardening and spring temper of the ricasso, but I think most indo knives are hardened on the edge only. But I do not know.

Fourth; Is the blade ever concave like the mandau's commonly are, or is a convex configuration most common or always present?

Thanks and thanks also for a fascinating site.
Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote