Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2006, 01:01 AM   #1
shortfoot

Default Any idea on this.. maybe Jambiya?

Hello, first post. My brother in law has acquired this dagger. We have no idea how old the dagger is, or the worth of such an item. It has what looks to be a horn handle, as I can see no grains of wood. the sheath is definately wooden inside, with what looks like leather on the outside, all the silver looking metal is thin and all of the silver ropes are single strands wrapping around the sheath. Any information you folks could provide would be a great help. Thanks
Attached Images

shortfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 01:20 AM   #2
RhysMichael

I would guess an omani jambiya but I could be wrong. As you say the handle is probably horn. It looks nice but I know little about these but it looks nice.
Do you have any better pictures of the blade ?
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 01:34 AM   #3
shortfoot

Sure, here are some.
Attached Images

Old 8th August 2006, 01:44 AM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Welcome Short foot!

That is a nice Omani Jambiya Mid 20th century I would guess.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 04:36 AM   #5
shortfoot

Is there any way we can go about finding if it's real silver it is decorated with? It's approximate worth? And is there any way to accurately tell it's age? (within reason) My brother in law got this from his mother, and she doesn't even remember where she got it. So it's a mystery to us. Thanks!
Old 8th August 2006, 05:03 AM   #6
S.Al-Anizi

This is an Omani Jambiya, with a probably rhino horn hilt, and silver fittings. As Louie said, this is quite recent work, but its definetly not a tourist piece, this one is quite high grade than others recently made that Ive seen. As to the blade, it could either be a forged steel blade, hopefully, or a two piece sheet steel welded together. Try patting on the blade or striking it carefully on the wall and see what kind of sound you get.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 05:08 AM   #7
S.Al-Anizi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfoot
Is there any way we can go about finding if it's real silver it is decorated with? It's approximate worth? And is there any way to accurately tell it's age? (within reason) My brother in law got this from his mother, and she doesn't even remember where she got it. So it's a mystery to us. Thanks!

These ones are fitted with real silver, not just a crust. As to age, its quite hard, arab jambiyas didnt change much in style, and ones from late 19th centuries are the same styles made today still.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Henk

Shortfoot,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a nice jambiya to me. The hilt could be rhinohorn but a very good picture of the hilt can give the answer by the experts.

You asked twice for the worth of the jambiya. Maybe you didn't read the forum rules but we don't talk about the worth of an object. We discuss the item, not the money.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Yannis

Wellcome to the forum Sortfoot

I am almost sure the hilt is rhino horn. To find out put in front of a strong light. If it is transluent it rhino. This puts your jambiya over the average.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis
Wellcome to the forum Sortfoot

I am almost sure the hilt is rhino horn. To find out put in front of a strong light. If it is transluent it rhino. This puts your jambiya over the average.
Gentleman

Not all translucent horn is rhino horn I have seen some pretty dark pieces that are not that translucent and have seen other types of horn that are not rhino that are. You really must look for those fiber stuctures in the horn. On some old chooras I have seen them use a cross cut section of the horn where the fibers can be seen as tiny dots on the surface of the hilt slabs.
Here is one that Artzi had a while back this is a good example of what I was trying to explain.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 12:55 AM   #11
spiral

In the last year Ive researched rhino horn extensivly to help my studies & Ive seen many pieces & spoken to & studied the works of true experts of horn cups , bowls etc.& examined numerous samples of many horn types both by buying for study raw horns & studying other peoples collections as well as my own..

Lots of animals can sometimes provide heavily fiberous &/or translucent horn including, cow, goat ,buffalo & various antelopes.

I see them sold as rhino all the time by many antique arms dealers.

The point Louie makes is the definative one regarding the "dots", Rhino horn end grain has a texture that resembles orange peel.

Evrything else that hasnt that feature isnt rhino horn.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 04:50 AM   #12
The Double D

Since the issue of monetary value can't be discussed on this forum, how is worth established. Not monetary value, although monetary value is a factor in collecting. If i can't afford it I can't collect it.

Is this piece worthy of collecting. Is it a good representational piece from a specific culture or location.? Is this a piece you put in your collection until you find a better piece. Is this a good starter piece? Or, is this piece something you could call good enough and move on to other items?
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 05:11 AM   #13
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Double D
Since the issue of monetary value can't be discussed on this forum, how is worth established. Not monetary value, although monetary value is a factor in collecting. If i can't afford it I can't collect it.

Is this piece worthy of collecting. Is it a good representational piece from a specific culture or location.? Is this a piece you put in your collection until you find a better piece. Is this a good starter piece? Or, is this piece something you could call good enough and move on to other items?
Excellent points, DD. "Worth" can be measured in many ways other than the assignment of a monetary value. In addition to the qualities you mention, opinions on quality, rarity, condition and desireability are all helpful indicators of value or worth.

I know very little about jambiya, so I can't comment about this specific item.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Gentleman

Not all translucent horn is rhino horn I have seen some pretty dark pieces that are not that translucent and have seen other types of horn that are not rhino that are.
Lew
I had wrote the same thing few days ago.
Look here.
But in this particular jambiya the hilt will be transluent under strong light.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 01:53 AM   #15
shortfoot

Thank you all for your great and wise replies. And no, I didn't know that it was iksnay to talk about monetary worth. My apologies. That would be a good question, whether it's just a run of the mill generic Jambiya or something that's really a find. Though from what y'all say it sounds like these are a dime a dozen (no monetary pun intended ) in the arab areas. Thank you
Old 17th August 2006, 03:09 AM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Gentleman

Not all translucent horn is rhino horn I have seen some pretty dark pieces that are not that translucent and have seen other types of horn that are not rhino that are. You really must look for those fiber stuctures in the horn. On some old chooras I have seen them use a cross cut section of the horn where the fibers can be seen as tiny dots on the surface of the hilt slabs.
Here is one that Artzi had a while back this is a good example of what I was trying to explain.

Lew
Lew,
What are you doing with my karud !? LOL
I am amazed at the conformity of style of the Bukharan karuds .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 03:59 AM   #17
Montino Bourbon

Default Is that your karud?

Funny... I thought it was mine!

Almost finished making a sheath for mine.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 04:07 AM   #18
derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfoot
Thank you all for your great and wise replies. And no, I didn't know that it was iksnay to talk about monetary worth. My apologies. That would be a good question, whether it's just a run of the mill generic Jambiya or something that's really a find. Though from what y'all say it sounds like these are a dime a dozen (no monetary pun intended ) in the arab areas. Thank you

Hi Shortfoot,

That's a nice jambiya, definitely not considered dime a dozen where it comes from. In fact, quite the opposite. That blade looks like it could be the original, and even though some collectors would make the case that these blades are inferior to some of the other workmanship you find in the near & far east, this jambiya would have been a symbol of rank and worth to any local that saw it. They prize those old blades more than the silver work in the Arabian peninsula. Locals used to tell me to place the point (gently!) in my palm and see if I could feel a tingle. If so, it's a "special" blade. That's good silver work too, by the way. Most jambiyas with old silver work still have a shiny new (cheap quality) chromed blade, so yours is better than many that make it out of the region.
Regards,
-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote