Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2008, 04:15 AM   #1
tunggulametung

Arrow New Keris Book: THE KRIS, A PASSION FROM INDONESIA

Good day gentleman,

I would like to share that a new keris book has been published. I saw it being advertised here.

Thank you.
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Marcokeris

Great Tungullametung!!
Thanks a lot
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 02:42 AM   #3
tunggulametung

My pleasure Marco...
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 04:10 AM   #4
Alam Shah

To be reviewed [ here ].
I waiting for the book to arrive... once read, I'll comment accordingly.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Marcokeris

I received the book three days ago.
Well.. after 2007 with excellent "Kerisdisk", "Invincible kerises II", "Rahasia keris dan senjata warisan Melayu"....2008 starts OK!!: mr. Greffioz's work about keris is a very nice book!!
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 04:22 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Shahrial and Marco, i am excited that the 2 of you have or are receiving this book shortly. I look forward to a more in depth review and discussion soon.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 08:39 PM   #7
ganjawulung

Default The Kris and The Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
Good day gentleman,

I would like to share that a new keris book has been published. I saw it being advertised here.

Thank you.
Different books, but with "almost similar" objects for cover-photo and even with the same title, "The Kris". The newer one, "The Kris", A Passion from Indonesia by Jean Greffios. The older one, "The Kris" An Earthly Approach to a Cosmic Symbol by David van Duuren (1998). You may see, here http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/getTitle.cfm?SBNum=27596

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 02:32 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Different books, but with "almost similar" objects for cover-photo and even with the same title, "The Kris". The newer one, "The Kris", A Passion from Indonesia by Jean Greffios. The older one, "The Kris" An Earthly Approach to a Cosmic Symbol by David van Duuren (1998). You may see, here http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/getTitle.cfm?SBNum=27596

Ganjawulung
Yes, I've notice the similarities, with the Van Duuren's books, when I first saw it. However, as the saying goes... "Don't judge a book, by its cover"...
Old 17th February 2008, 03:29 AM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Yes, I've notice the similarities, with the Van Duuren's books, when I first saw it. However, as the saying goes... "Don't judge a book, by its cover"...
Dear Alam Shah,

I don't have bought yet the newer book. But I've bought the Van Duuren book (easily to get it in Indonesia, just go to any Periplus book shop, then you may find it). Even for an Indonesian like me, I must say "two thumbs up" for all Van Duuren's books. The other valuable Van Duuren's book is "Krisses, A Critical Bibliography" (1998 and 2002), and "The Kris, An Earthly Approach to a Cosmic Symbol" (1998). A good book for them, who are interested in what some keris-people said as "krisology"...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 03:42 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

And David van Duuren's translation into English of Groneman's "The Javanese Keris" (Der Kris der Javaner, 1910) is just around the corner, scheduled for release in the European spring.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
... I must say "two thumbs up" for all Van Duuren's books. The other valuable Van Duuren's book is "Krisses, A Critical Bibliography" (1998 and 2002), and "The Kris, An Earthly Approach to a Cosmic Symbol" (1998). A good book for them, who are interested in what some keris-people said as "krisology"...
Ganjawulung
Hi Pak Jimmy,
I do agree with you... I've got a copy of the books you've mentioned.

Hi Alan,
Good that van Duuren's 'translation' book is coming out soon... at least we don't need to translate... looking forward to it.

Kind Regards,
~ Shahrial ~
Old 18th February 2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Michel

Default The Kris, a passion from Indonesia

I have received my copy of The Kris, a passion from Indonesia.
My copy is in English, the original book was written in French and you feel it in English.
Each copy is numbered, mine is N°47/100. This explains the cost of the book which is rather high. But all the books dealing with Kris are expensive due to the small number printed.
I have not yet read the entire book and I cannot give a judgment on its content in particular as the author, knows certainly much more than I do on Kris and other edge weapons.
To check all the information of the book against other publication is also not possible in such a short time.
I have a problem with the photos. I first though they were not sharp but my son told me it was my eyesight, I should utilize a magnifying glass ! The author cannot do anything about that ! Well, than it is the background which is very often red or reddish that disturbs me, there again, the author is not to be blamed as it is just a matter of taste. Finally I guess that it is the size of the photos that can explain why this book did not bring me the same intense pleasure that the Invincible Krises 2 or Keris Jawa Antara mystic dan Nalar did.
The text gives a lot of valuable information among which one concerning the Hulu Kocet-Kocetan that was discussed in an other thread.
All in all, buy it you may not be as nit picking as I am about illustration !
Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 04:54 PM   #13
asomotif

Default A Passion for Patience

I would also say: buy it !
There may be better books on certains keris types, but this one gives a very nice view on almost all types of Indonesian keris.

Please bear in mind that the keris where collected quite recently.
Some of them have a modern dress or recent made silver work.

My girlfriend said that this would be a nice birthday present.
So after a short glimps on thebook it was re-wrapped for my birthday.
Which is due in MAY
So I will have to wait more than 2 months before i can thoroughly read the book

Ps. 47/100, looks like it may be sold out soon... (the english version)
Order now or start learning french
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 11:15 PM   #14
kai

Default Can there be too many keris books?

I also appreciated reading this book - it's always nice to see the collections of other enthusiasts!

I didn't noticed any novel hypotheses or background info on the subject: the information has been compiled from the internationally well-known sources and for a diligent reader of this forum there won't be any notable surprises, I guess. I think this book offers a nice introduction/overview for any budding keris afficianado (especially when combined with Solyom & Solyom!). There are quite a lot of keris (and some other Indonesian daggers) shown which helps to appreciate the diversity rather than focusing on a few selected pieces.

Personally, the only gripe I have with this book is that it limits itself to Indonesia. IMHO it would have been worth to also include some Malay keris and Moro kris to offer a more complete picture of the whole keris world. Maybe these can be included with a future 2nd edition?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 04:17 AM   #15
Alam Shah

Default opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I also appreciated reading this book - it's always nice to see the collections of other enthusiasts!

I didn't noticed any novel hypotheses or background info on the subject: the information has been compiled from the internationally well-known sources and for a diligent reader of this forum there won't be any notable surprises, I guess. I think this book offers a nice introduction/overview for any budding keris afficianado (especially when combined with Solyom & Solyom!). There are quite a lot of keris (and some other Indonesian daggers) shown which helps to appreciate the diversity rather than focusing on a few selected pieces.
I've read the book. My opinion is similar to Kai's. The layout could be better.
Old 12th March 2008, 09:35 AM   #16
kai

BTW, the English edition (120 copies) is now out of print.

A few distributors may have stock left...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote