Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2007, 04:51 AM   #1
utami

Default Share - Unsheathed Safety

Hi there, 2 weeks ago accidently I hurt my finger when unsheathed golok banten. The edge blade cut my finger along 1,5 centimeter.

This was my Mistake not to inspect the golok before unsheathed it. After the blood stopped, I looked my scabbard and found a crack ( +/- 10 cm ).
utami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 04:53 AM   #2
utami

Default Grip and hold

Normally this is how I hold and unsheated the all single edge weapon for many years. the methode was teach by my guru silat ( silat teacher ) when i was in junior high school.

but on that day, I hold and unsheated differently like this one.

can you see the different !!
Old 26th January 2007, 04:53 AM   #3
utami

Default Methode

- left thumb on the scabbard,
- right thumb near the scabbard

- Position of the other finger on the back of scabbard

- Press / Push the scabbard with right thumb gently & slowly

- Safely Unsheathed the blade

This unsheathed methode also has been used by the blacksmith that i've meet especially bantenese / sundanese blacksmith in Pandeglang ( banten ), cibatu/cisaat ( sukabumi ), pasir jambu (Bandung ).

I knew that they are many other methode for safe unsheathed that used by other culture. It would be usefull information to know the other methode.

Does anyone here, ever had accident like me

Salam
Noviar

Last edited by utami; 26th January 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 26th January 2007, 07:32 AM   #4
wolviex

Yes! You avoided one of the most important rules in edged weapons world. On my first days of working with edged weapons I wasn't aware of danger too, fortunatelly I didn't hurt myself, but our conservatour when saw me what I'm doing gave me a lesson immediately!

Here is a link from John Powell's page on Kukris for consideration (if there is anyone not aware or not convinced )

Page
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 07:45 AM   #5
utami

Thanks Wolvie for the link. very usefull & informative info

The same methode, seem to me this methode is universal and use in any other culture I might be unlucky that day
Old 26th January 2007, 08:23 AM   #6
FenrisWolf

Seems to me a variation on the ultimate firearm safety rule is what's called for. With guns, the rule is, "It's loaded!" With blades, "It's sharp!"

Fenris
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Berkley

One further note of caution, which is difficult for the collector to accept until he learns it through painful experience:
Quote:
If you accidentally drop a knife, get out of the way and let it fall. I don't care how valuable it is, hands and feet are still worth more.
Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values, 4th Ed.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 02:13 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Yep, i just did something very similar with my new Moro kris. Spunjer was there and can attest to it.
I held the sheath like i usually do and withdrew the blade, but failed to notice the opening along the seam of the sheath. Sliced my palm right open!
Then, still not realizing just how it had happened i went home and said to my wife, look honey, my new kris bite me....all i did was pull it out of the sheath like this.... .....yep, twice in one day. I figured it out after that.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Then, still not realizing just how it had happened i went home and said to my wife, look honey, my new kris bite me....all i did was pull it out of the sheath like this.... .....yep, twice in one day. I figured it out after that.
Been there, done that. Moro kris and kampilans have a taste for blood. Hope that yours is now satiated.

I got bit polishing a Moro blade --- yesterday. Not bad, but makes me more wary. I also noted a peculiar thing when I went back today, the blood that fell on the blade, even though completly dry and 24 hours later, was still bright red, not the usual dark red.

Maybe it was the oil I was using with the sandpaper ---- or maybe--- <ominous music>.

I cleaned it off, I have heard that blood will really rust a blade quickly.

We have to constantly remember these blades were made to cut.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 03:19 PM   #10
RhysMichael

Thanks for posting this Utami. It is a problem when the wood has changed shape with age. Here is a dha you can see the similar thing could happen

RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Yes Gentlemen swords and knives are pointy sharp nasty things and if your not careful this may happen to you but it's only a flesh wound I had worse On a more serious note you must always be aware that these are all live blades and whether removing them from their scabbards,cleaning the blade or just picking one up at a show one must use caution. I have seen idiots picking up a swords at a show and waving it into the isle.

Lew
Attached Images

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 26th January 2007 at 03:34 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 05:04 PM   #12
Tim Simmons

I have done ,- catch the falling Dha with the nice ivory handle. It hurt but I was lucky not to make a real mess of my hand. The other one to try is smash the ceiling lights out when raising the blade too high in one of those silly moments. Electricity and the sword
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy

About 7 years ago I almost lost the tip of my finger flipping open one of these http://spyderco.com/catalog/closeup.php?product=211 using the hole in the blade; not a problem with my older Endura with the plastic handle but the extra weight of the stainless model caused my middle finger to move just a little too much ......... blood sprayed all over the wall and ceiling !
Off to the Emergency room ; I still have no feeling in that fingertip .
Live and learn.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 08:19 PM   #14
VANDOO
(deceased)

WOODEN SCABBARDS ARE ESPECIALLY BAD ABOUT ALLOWING THE EDGE TO COME THRU WHEN REMOVING OR PUTTING IN THE BLADE. THE DANGER IS COMPOUNDED BY A DOUBBLE EDGED BLADE AND AT ITS WORST WITH A LARGE MORO KRIS WITH A WAVEY BLADE. IF THE SCABBARD IS TIGHT AND YOU ARE PULLING HARD IT WILL SUDDENLY RELEASE AND YOU MAY GET SEVERAL CUTS ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER FROM A WAVEY BLADE. I HAVE YET TO FIND A OLD MORO WEAPON WITH A DULL BLADE AND CONSIDERING THAT THEY MAY NOT HAVE BEEN SHARPENED IN OVER 100 YEARS THAT IS SOMETHING TO RECOMEND THEM.

DAMAGED OR THIN LEATHER SHEITHS CAN ALSO GIVE YOU A CUT IF YOU HOLD THEM THE WRONG WAY. THE KERIS SCABBARD IS MADE IN A WAY SO IT IS USUALLY NOT DANGEROUS BUT ONE DANGER WITH THEM IS IF YOU HOLD ONE BLADE DOWN BY THE HANDLE ONLY THE BLADE CAN COME OUT AND STICK IN THE FLOOR, BREAK OFF THE TIP OR WORST STICK IN YOUR FOOT. TO MAKE FAST SLASHING MOTIONS WITH THE KERIS WHILE NOT HOLDING THE BLADE AS WELL AS THE HANDLE CAN ALSO ALLOW A BLADE TO FLY FREE AND FIND A TARGET. SO IN SOME WAYS THE STORY OF INDONESIAN OR MALAY KERIS FLYING CAN BE TRUE.

I HAVE NEVER LET A BLADE FLY OUT OF MY HAND ACCIDENTALLY BUT HAVE CUT MY HANDS A FEW TIMES DUE TO WOODEN SCABBARDS BEFORE I LEARNED BETTER AND DID ALLOW A KERIS BLADE TO FALL OUT AND STAB MY FOOT ONCE WHILE LOOKING AT THE CARVEING ON THE HANDLE TOP. SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY REAL SERIOUS WOUNDS AND NEVER NEEDED STICHES BUT I SUSPECT THERE HAVE BEEN STICHES REQUIRED IN MANY CASES.

THE ONLY OTHER WAYS OF REMOVING A SCABBARD I CAN THINK OF AT PRESENT ARE HITTING WITH THE SCABBARD STILL ON AND CUTTING THRU IT WITH THE FIRST BLOW ALLOWING IT TO DROP FREE (KAMPILIANS) HOLDING THE HANDLE AND SLINGING THE SCABBARD OFF AFTER REMOVING IT FROM YOUR SASH. IF THE SCABBARD IS FIRMELY ATTACHED TO YOU BY SOME TYPE OF WEBBING YOU MAY NOT HAVE TO HOLD THE SCABBARD WHEN DRAWING.

RICK THOSE LITTLE FOLDING KNIVES DO HAVE THEIR OWN DANGERS AND THE ONE YOU SHOW IS ESPECIALLY GOOD AT CUTTING FLESH WITH THAT VERY SHARP SERRATED BLADE. WE CARRIED THEM AS WORK AND FISHING KNIVES ON THE OIL RIGGS OFFSHORE . NICE LITTLE KNIVES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Montino Bourbon

Default Ah, The Electric Thrill...

I was practicing Iai, the art of drawing the Japanese sword once... I got an instant lesson!

Luckily the cut wasn't too deep, my finger was fine, and forty years later the scar is gone... but the memory lingers on!

Of course, there's the similar thrill right in the kitchen; you don't have to go far to have fun, nor do you need an antique.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote