Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2007, 12:39 AM   #1
RhysMichael

Default Aceh swords

I have again updated the page I pulled together on Achenese Peudeueng. The first of many revisions I am sure. I was reticent to post this in light of some of the posts recently on this and other forum. So, I added this part to the text there
Quote:
Nothing in this should be considered new or original work on my part. Instead this is a compilation of what so many people have been kind enough to share with me, and what published material I have been able to access. I am certain there are inaccuracies here that are the result of honest mistakes. They will be corrected as I am made aware of them or find better information. That is one large advantage a web based article has. Unlike the published word wich can only be as good as the information known at the time of publishing; the web based article can be udated and changed.
If you know where I have made mistakes please let me know. I am eager to learn even more about these swords and the history behind them.

Everything on here should be taken as the work of a student of these blades and someone who is in no way an expert on them. So please question it and when there are discrpancies you should probably take the word of others here who know more about them over what I have here

Thanks for all the information that has been shared over the last few months on these and thank you all in advance for the information I am sure will shared in the future

The article is here
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Alam Shah

Default Achenese Noblemen...

The person in the picture was, Imeum Teuku bin Mukim VII.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...h/image028.jpg

Picture was probably taken sometime during 1904-1910.

By 1904, most of Aceh was under Dutch control, and had an indigenous government that "cooperated" with the colonial state. Colonial influence in the remote highland areas of Aceh was never substantial, however, and limited guerrilla resistance remained. Led mostly by the religious ulema, intermittent fighting continued until about 1910, and parts of the province were still not "pacified".
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
utami

I tried to access the link
http://home.comcast.net/~jtcrosby/Aceh.html

but it give me a blank page maybe my internet connection not yet fully recovery because of taiqan eartquake
utami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
The person in the picture was, Imeum Teuku bin Mukim VII.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...h/image028.jpg

Picture was probably taken sometime during 1904-1910.

By 1904, most of Aceh was under Dutch control, and had an indigenous government that "cooperated" with the colonial state. Colonial influence in the remote highland areas of Aceh was never substantial, however, and limited guerrilla resistance remained. Led mostly by the religious ulema, intermittent fighting continued until about 1910, and parts of the province were still not "pacified".
Thanks for this information. I thought dating the war would be an easy thing but there seems to be a great deal of differing opinions at the time about when it actually ended. I am trying to come up with a better way to express this. Also thank you for the name to go with the picture. I will add tho the list of things to correct on the page

Utami
It may be a router your way as I have not heard of others having problems or it could have been a trasient problem on my server. Let me know if it continues and I will mail you a hard copy as I would really like your input

John
Old 3rd January 2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Dajak

Hi John nice to see those sikims with gold

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 12:00 AM   #6
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
Hi John nice to see those sikims with gold

Ben
I used the one posted here I hope that is not a problem. Let me know if it is and I will fix it.
Old 4th January 2007, 01:34 AM   #7
Dajak

Hi John no problem ( I was just joking ) it is nice to see the history about these weapons
and if I can help in anyway just let me know.

Regards , Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 08:45 AM   #8
VVV

John,

Thanks for sharing your interesting research on these swords.
You asked for additional information so here is my contribution:

On the hilts of the Peudeueng/Pedang Aceh there is an additional fifth, quite rare, variation - Ulu Tapa Guda (hoorse hoof).
It's not pictured in van Zonneveld so I have enclosed an example below.
This variation of Peudeueng is found at the East coast of Aceh.

In the Leiden picture archive you can find it at collection number 1599-46 (commented in the catalogue) and 3600-4418.
As Fischer comments in the note of the Aceh Catalogue the resemblence to what usually is associated with a horse hoof hilt isn't obvious.
But I have noticed a parallel in the floral variation of the Tapak Kuda hilts of the Keris Panjang (enclosed an example).

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 10:13 AM   #9
asomotif

Default Another new Acehnese hilt type ?

Does anyone know this type of hilt ?

It is either a Sikin Panjang or a Luju Alang.
But with a type of Hilt I have not seen before.

Sadly it is not my own collection but for sale at a local trader.
In case of any interest to purchase this from overseas I can negotiate.

Best regards,
Willem
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 01:23 PM   #10
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
John,

On the hilts of the Peudeueng/Pedang Aceh there is an additional fifth, quite rare, variation - Ulu Tapa Guda (hoorse hoof).
It's not pictured in van Zonneveld so I have enclosed an example below.
This variation of Peudeueng is found at the East coast of Aceh.

In the Leiden picture archive you can find it at collection number 1599-46 (commented in the catalogue) and 3600-4418.
As Fischer comments in the note of the Aceh Catalogue the resemblence to what usually is associated with a horse hoof hilt isn't obvious.
But I have noticed a parallel in the floral variation of the Tapak Kuda hilts of the Keris Panjang (enclosed an example).

Michael

Michael,
Thank you, the hulu tapa guda is in von Zonneveld, though not in the exact form you show here ( pg 55 ) You are right it does not show it on a Peudeung, I did not include it on there as I also had never encountered one or heard of one on a peudeung before; mostly seeing them on Tjo Jang ( Co Jang ), Ladieng and some klewang myself. So I am very excited about finding this out and will add this to the hilt types. There is so much to learn about these swords.

Has anyone ever seen a Hulu Cangge Gliwang on a Peudeung ? I also did not include that one as I had not seen it used on these swords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Does anyone know this type of hilt ?

It is either a Sikin Panjang or a Luju Alang.
But with a type of Hilt I have not seen before.

Sadly it is not my own collection but for sale at a local trader.
In case of any interest to purchase this from overseas I can negotiate.

Best regards,
Willem

Willem
The Luju Ajang would be shorter than a panjang wouldn't it ? That hilt curves like a Hulu Iku Mie but does not have the knob. I am sorry I do not know an exact name for it. It is interesting how many swords from this region have hilts that turn at 90 or near 90 degrees at the end of the hilt.

Last edited by RhysMichael; 10th January 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10th January 2007, 03:40 PM   #11
asomotif

These are rather blunt action waepons and when giving a blow to the enemy it will surely help to keep a grip.
Old 10th January 2007, 05:05 PM   #12
VVV

Willem, your hilt (or is it Patrick's?) looks like a variation of Hulu Rumpung to me.
John, I haven't either seen any Hulu Cangge Gliwang on a Peudeung.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:55 AM   #13
asomotif

Dear Michael,

It is Patrick's indeed. But I thought i made that clear already in my post
In a slightly better condition and against a much lower price it would have been mine . But interesting for study anyway.

Best regards,
Willem
Old 18th January 2007, 10:21 AM   #14
utami

Finally, i'm able to reach your page Very Usefull and Informative, nice jobs john

I would like make a small contributtion here.
This is the Pics of Teuku Umar ( with rencong & sikin ) and His Wife Cut Nyak Dien. Both of them are our national Hero and heroine. I'm taken the pic from museum national.

The following pieces displayed on museum national, showing the the unique & beauty of sikins.

I love the one with ivory
Old 18th January 2007, 10:28 AM   #15
utami

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
Michael,
It is interesting how many swords from this region have hilts that turn at 90 or near 90 degrees at the end of the hilt.
According many of blacksmith in java (bantenese, sundanese, javanese blacksmith), the "90 degrees" is style of sumatrans blacksmith. Several hilt from sumatran blacksmith have this style such as ( pics taken from museum national)
- Nias Area ( balato, tulado,etc)

- Highland / Upland of west sumatra ( karambit )

- Jambi

perhaps, forumite like to share their opinion about this "90 degree hilt"