Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2006, 06:57 AM   #1
utami

Default SHARE : How to Polish Horn Materials by Acehnesse Traditional BlackSmith

This knowledge has actually been passed for many generations by acehnesse blacksmith. And because of very close & good relationship with these blacksmith, they passed the information to me. I've done this methode on my gloomy rencong hilt made from black buffalo horn and i'm successfully make this gloomy one into shiny and pretty one. I belief many of you is a blacksmith who deal with horn material or a collector who have a horn material in their collection. So I'm passing this information to all of you.

The Acehnesse, rubbed the horn material with "serumpet leaves" after they finish shapping the horn material such as hilt and scabbard. This is the picture of serumpet which send directly from aceh.

This is the detail of the leave. I dont know about species / family name of this leaves.

This serumpet leaves is more or less almost similiar effect with sandpaper grid 1500/1600. Once the horn is smooth enough / already smooth then they used "Abu Gosok". "Abu gosok" is kind of wooden ashes, when i was a child ( in 80's - 90's ) we used "abu gosok" to washes the dishes / plate. Today, only on suburn or villages that still used "abu gosok" for washes the dishes/plate, i can not find this abu gosok in jakarta or bogor.

This is the picture of "abu gosok".

After asking the blacksmith, they teach me how to create "abu gosok" with the same quality as their "abu gosok". You can create "abu gosok" by burning the coconut fibre till the fibre became white ashes. Before I burn the coconut fibre, I put in the sun to dry. After the coconut fibre became so dry, then I burned it till became abu gosok.

Last edited by utami; 21st November 2006 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo
utami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 07:02 AM   #2
utami

Default Reserve Content

This is my gloomy rencong hilt

I put some "abu gosok" and put in into my hand. Then as been told by acehnesse blacksmith, i rubbed and move my hand around the hilt with presure. Just like this :

After few times rubbing the hilt with abu gosok by hand, then I rubbed the hilt a white cleaner's cloth with presure by hand.

I rubbeb the hilt with till i'm happy with the result.

And finally my gloomy rencong became shiny and pretty one
This is My gloomy rencong

and This is the Shiny rencong after I polish with "abu gosok"

I found that by using this methode, the thin and soft scratch could be remove, remove all the dust and stain. My hope by sharing this info could give you the idea, how our acehnesse blacksmith polish their rencongs.

Regards.

Last edited by utami; 21st November 2006 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 21st November 2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Ferguson

That is great information. Thank you very much!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Berkley

Fascinating post and pictures! Thank you.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 02:44 PM   #5
RhysMichael

I can only echo what the others here have said this is wonderful information. Thanks for sharing it and I look forward to anything else you can tell us about traditional swordmaking techniques from this area
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Thank you ...

utami:

Excellent post -- thanks for the information and pictures. It seems that the abu gosok is being used as a mild abrasive or polishing agent, much like jeweler's rouge or similar polishing techniques on Japanese swords. Do you think that using other mild abrasive/polishing powders might serve as well as abu gosok. My guess is they probably would.

Thanks again for a very informative post. Now I know what to do with those old coconut husks.

Warm regards,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 01:35 AM   #7
utami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
utami:

Excellent post -- thanks for the information and pictures. It seems that the abu gosok is being used as a mild abrasive or polishing agent, much like jeweler's rouge or similar polishing techniques on Japanese swords. Do you think that using other mild abrasive/polishing powders might serve as well as abu gosok. My guess is they probably would.

Thanks again for a very informative post. Now I know what to do with those old coconut husks.

Warm regards,

Ian.
Thanks Guys for your comment

For the last 2 days i'm looking and digging more information about "abu gosok" and horn crafmanship. One of my relative who live in central java told me about the horn crafmans in Magelang - central java that they also used "abu gosok" for polishing the horn handicraft, but their methode a bit difference from acehnesse. The Horn Crarfman from jogja add and mix abu gosok with a little water. They said, by adding little water makes the surface of the horn smoother rather than without the water. The also use similiar leaves like serumpet, they called the leaves as Daun Rampelas ( Rampelas leaves ).

And from Kota Gede - Jogya, i get information about horn craftmans. They use leave that they called Daun Perlas ( Perlas Leaves ) but they dont mention / used abu gosok in they horn making.

So from difference places in indonesia, This Horn Polishing methode has been used traditionally from many generation, till today. I'm very amaze with what i found here

I'm agree with you henk, yes they are used as mild abbresive/ polishing agent. Henk, would care tell us here how to polish japanese sword

I Do belief the mild abrasive/polishing powder is similar with abu gosok. When we polishing the horn with abu gosok, it will produce the white power.

FYI: Finally I have enough fund to make the trip on sunday to banten. I'll be visiting the Golok Ciomas and Golok Sulangkar tradistional Blacksmiths. These Blacksmiths also have strong knowlege & experience in horn materials. if any one of you here have some question about tradisional golok making, please do not hesitate send me / post here your question so i could forwarded your question to these blacksmiths.

Thanks a lots, guys