Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Flavio

Question PLEASE, COULD YOU HELP ME?

HELLO GUYS, THIS IS ONE OF MY LAST PURCHASE. I THINK THAT IS A BALI-KOMO KNIFE OR LEKA, BUT MAYBE I'M COMPLETELY WRONG. THE SCABBARD IS WOOD AND ON THE HANDLE THERE ARE SOME ALUMINUM STRIPS (I THINK). ALL IDEAS ABOUT THIS ARE WELCOLME, THANK YOU (SORRY FOR THE AWFUL PICS )
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Hello Flavio, I like that, my kind of thing.What source have you got those names from?I have one book where they are refered to as balingbwa.Tim

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 13th June 2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: found another book and spelling,spelling again
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Flavio

Here is a link to Artzi's website with the same type of dagger which is listed as Leka.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=183

Hope this helps.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Hello Lew, from more than one source that I have, I would say with the slimmer more angular blade shape it has a Tetela influence, who according to a map ,although in the same region are quite some way to the south of the Leka.I want one great scabbard.Tim

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 13th June 2005 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13th June 2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Hello Lew, from more than one source that I have, I would say with the slimmer more angular blade shape it has a Tetela influence, who according to a map ,although in the same region are quite some way to the south of the Leka.I want one great scabbard.Tim
Come now Tim

Your British! You need to control yourself (Stiff upper lip and all that stuff)
Good things come to those who wait. Now this dagger looks similar to the Leka I picked it up last year from Artzi's table at Timonium.

Lew
Old 13th June 2005, 08:19 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Hi Lew ,when I see things like this and I do not have one,I am left muttering whatwhatwhat! while that siff upper lip trembles.The differences are subtle,I do not really want to spit hairs with you, they are as I said from the same region.Though I could warm my scanner up
Old 13th June 2005, 08:24 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

I can smell the toner warming up all the way over hear

Lew
Old 13th June 2005, 09:13 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Hi Lew, this has turned out more difficult than I had imagined.I have not found a knife labeled Leka only other southern forms with the rounded sides at the widest part of the blade.I shall have a look at the Leka northen neighbours.To illustrate my opinion is going to take a little time and a lot of use or scanner, camera, and editing, but talking African weapons is better than TV.In the meantime this map will show people where we are disscusing.
Old 13th June 2005, 10:20 PM   #9
Flavio

Arrow

Hello Tim and Lew. For the Leka i have already see the knife of Lew's link. For the Bali - Komo in a site some time ago I have find the knife in the picture attached that was attributed to this tribe that, onestly, i don't know before , but that is very similar to mine.
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2005, 07:32 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Hello again, these pictures illustrate my thinking.I am not an expert and we are discussing variation between many related people in one small cultral area.The first two pictures are Tetela Knives {some of you will already have these pictures}note the slim angular blades and style of decorative metalwork on the handle.The last picture represents knives of the Hamba,Yela,Kela and other neighbours seen on the map, where we see the rounded sides to the knife, still some way from the Leka.I am only spliting hairs but it is fun and might prompt somebody with more information.Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 14th June 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 15th June 2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Flavio

Arrow

Hello Tim, I'm completely agree with you. Often we can see blades that are clearly attributed to a specific tribe, mounted on an handle evidently of another tribe. I Think that this was quite normal among tribes in a zone quite narrow.
Old 17th June 2005, 12:27 AM   #12
Conogre

I would have to concur as well, particularly when you take into consideration that often the blade and hilt are by two different people, often from different tribes as well, considering that trading blades appears to have been the norm, rather than the exception.
My own personal theory is that the exquisite textbook versions usually pictured are probably chief's or high ranking people within the tribal council, while the typical tribesman/warrior were likely to have atypical specimens that were similar in style and then dressed according to the owners tribal preferences......rehilting as the warrior advanced in rank would have been a strong possibility as well.
Lastly, this would also likely occur in scavenged blades from the field of battle after an inter-tribal conflict.
I also suspect that the Leka and Lega may well be synonamous as consonants are often switched in phonetic spellings.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

I got this one today, from ebay, the first ebay purchase I have liked as soon as I opened the parcel. Tim
Attached Images

Old 12th July 2005, 06:13 PM   #14
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

You lucky dog you! Now how did I miss that one? Congrats on a nice acquistion.

Lew