Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th December 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Neo

Default What is the relationship between a keris and its hilt in the ancient culture?

Hi Guys,

I have been curious with early keris hilts that take the shape of dvarapalas and other person-like figures. Chinese record indicates that the early kerises are mostly dressed in "demon-shaped hilts", right? Karsten Jensen's e-book seems to confirm this.

What is the original intention of such designs? I just read the previous thread in which Mr. Maisey explained that such kerises with fearsome looking hilts meant protection. It makes sense as in most of Asia, ferocious images are frequently used to repel evil spirits. However, I am particularly interested in the cultural reasoning that explains the relationship between a keris and its hilt. What does the ancient hilt design have to do with the "personality" of a keris? Can we say it is one of the following?

1. The keris hilt indicates the type of spirit that dwells in the blade. So the hilt is pretty much the "representative portrait" of the spirit of the blade. Interesting possibility, but IMHO it doesn't nicely explain the case of Bali keris hilts with deity shapes like Wishnu and Ganesha - it's hard to imagine that the ancient culture believes that the actual deity resides in a single blade. (I assume that the Balinese school of thought does not deviate significantly from the Majapahit's.)

2. The keris hilt is just an expression of the wish of how the power of the keris is to be governed. So a keris with raksasha or Vishnu hilt does not necessarily mean that the said personalities are expected to reside in the blade. Instead, the hilt just expresses the wish of that the spirit of the keris will follow a set of conducts or behavior encouraged by the personality manifested in the hilt.

Or perhaps there is another theory or explanation out there? Even if we do not have hard data on the subject, I would really appreciate personal opinions from my senior colleagues in this forum (I have only been collecting keris for less than two years)
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Interesting questions Neo. I have no conclusive evidence on this subject either, though in spite of the use of the word hulu (head) to describe the keris hilt i am not so sure that the character of the hilt rules or directs the attributes of the blade so directly.
The hilt is the public face of the keris though. When a keris was worn in public the blades were not made visible to others on most occasions. I fearsome face on a hilt was most probably meant to keep negative forces away from the keris and it's owner, not a reflection of the nature of that particular keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Neo

Hey, that's one possibility I didn't look at, thanks It would make sense if the "public face" has nothing to do with the "esoteric face". However, I still have a hard time imagining the a Tuban-Majapahit tilam upih keris with udan mas pamor, having a slender build, and radiating a dainty aura (or pasikutan demes), back in its time it was being dressed wearing a fearsome raksasha hilt. It's kind of like eating rye bread with guacamole sauce and bumbu pecel

Perhaps I am conditioned to today's norms in which such blades would be nicely dressed in ukiran Yudawinatan and warangka Ladrang, thereby supporting the overall dainty theme. However, the above arrangement is definitely post-Islamic. While my sartorial taste totally favors the more recent keris fashion style, I am still yet to find an explanation regarding the relationship between a keris and its ukiran during the sepuh era.
Old 28th December 2010, 02:08 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
However, I still have a hard time imagining the a Tuban-Majapahit tilam upih keris with udan mas pamor, having a slender build, and radiating a dainty aura (or pasikutan demes), back in its time it was being dressed wearing a fearsome raksasha hilt. It's kind of like eating rye bread with guacamole sauce and bumbu pecel
hmmm....i must say that i have never considered dhapur tilam upih to be particularly dainty...
Old 29th December 2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Neo

OK, pick a dapur that you consider dainty or pasikutan demes ... do you think that in the past they would dress that in raksasha hilt? I have totally no idea, my perceptions are far from concrete at the moment ...

By the way, do they always use raksasha themes in the sepuh (Majapahit and older) era? What are the other popular themes back then?
Old 29th December 2010, 02:52 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
By the way, do they always use raksasha themes in the sepuh (Majapahit and older) era? What are the other popular themes back then?
Should i assume that since you mention Majapahit that you are asking specifically about Javanese keris?
The best way to determine this would be to view keris that were collected very early on (see collections in Dutch museums), though don't think you will find any that were collected quite that early.