Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 11th November 2011, 11:57 AM   #1
terry1956

Default french musket lock

hi. Can anyone please let me know what this lock is off, age etc. thanks, michael
Attached Images

terry1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 12:12 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

French, for a musket or pistol like model AN IX (1777).
See HERE and HERE
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
rickystl

Agree with Fernando. Lock is in nice condition. Good find. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Fernando K

Hola a todos:

Para mí, se trata de una falsificación: La palabra "Royale" indica que está construida después de la época napoleonica, con la restauración de la monarquía y no corresponde a los modelos "reales", construídos en 1816 y despúes, que tenían la cazoleta (pan, bassinet) con guarda-fuego, si bien, igualmente, de bronce

Hello all,

For me, this is a fake: The word "Royale" indicates that it is built after the Napoleonic era, with the restoration of the monarchy and does not correspond to the models 'real', built in 1816 and later, they had the bowl (bread, bassinet) with guard-fire, but, equally, bronze

Sincerely from Argentina. Fernando K
Afectuosamente desde Argentina. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 06:51 PM   #5
fernando

Alright Fernando, you got a point; model 1816.
But why a fake ?
The lock plate of pistol model 1816 de la Garde Du Corps du Roy also had a pan with "guarda fuego"

http://pistol3d.com/silex_garde_corp...orps_2_gn.html

http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/pist%...oi%201816.html
Old 11th November 2011, 07:40 PM   #6
terry1956

Default more information on musket

hi, thanks for the feedback. here is some more information on this musket.
I have also found on the flintlock plate the following what looks like a stamped G with a very small stampd fleur de lis above this.on the frizzen plate are the letters VX. on the barrel near the touch hole is stamped the letters MR also on top surface of barrel are stamped H and in an oval stamp the letter G with a small star above. there are also 3 letters i can,t make out.on the trigger guard again in oval stamp is the G letter with the star above. the stock as the letter V stamp and on the plug a number 1 in the middle and what looks likeversailles around that. along the barrel are in gold the words compagnie des cent suisses du roi
ok chaps what do make of this, I can,t find any information on this at all, bar knowing that the cent swiss was part of the french royal guard.
michael
Attached Images

Old 11th November 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Michael,

For more information on the 'Cent Suisses", the Papal Guard, which existed up to 1830, called Hundertschweizer in German, please see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard

As the barrel of your musket is signed in gold we may safely assume that it once belonged to a soldier of that elite Papal Guard. I therefore think that you have a very fine and quite expensive item. Please keep it in the present optimum condition and don't clean the surface!

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 09:24 PM   #8
fernando

Hi Michl,

Apparently the cent suisses also served in France.

From the link you quote:

"Two of the eight infantry regiments included in the Garde Royale from 1815 to 1830 were Swiss and can be regarded as successors of the old Gardes suisses."

From this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard

"Le corps est supprimé en 1792 par l'Assemblée nationale, rétabli en 1814 par Louis XVIII et subsiste jusqu'en 1830."

I would swear those inspection marks on the trigger guard (and not only) are French poinçons.
Also the gold inscription says Cent Suisses du Roy
Old 11th November 2011, 09:32 PM   #9
terry1956

Default Thanks chaps

thanks chaps, my understanding is that this is a french musket made in versailles for the swiss cent guard, a 100 man unit armed with muskets and forming part of the maison du roi. louis xv11 had this unit reformed on is return to power in 1814 and these man went with him on the return of napoleon for the 100 days that he was again in power. the guard returned later for a time on napoleons fall but was later disbanded.
I can,t get anymore information on this weapon or the cent guards uniforms of the time etc. and yes its a very nice weapon with the blue and gold barrel. and it will just have a coat of renaissance wax durring the time its in my care, michael
Old 11th November 2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

[QUOTE=fernando]Hi Michl,

Apparently the cent suisses also served in France.

Hi 'Nando,

Of course I never meant to deny that. Relying on the source I quoted, I just intended to focus on the Papal Guard.

Best,
Michl
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Fernando K

Hola a todos

Confieso que me apresuré. Hay llaves (lock) producidas a partir de 1814 que tienen la expresión "Royale", pero la cazoleta (pan) sin guarda-fuego e inclinada. Entonces, la fecha de la llave es a lo sumo de 1814 o posterior.
En cuanto al post (tread) inicial deTerry, es un poco tramposo, porque nos ha presentado la llave sin decirnos que pertenece a un mosquete (fusil) de guardias suizos del Rey.
Los "Cent Suisses" formaban las 4 compañias, conjuntamente con los "Marchaux-des-Logis", en la "Maison du Roi"
Hi all

I confess that I hastened. There are keys (lock) produced from 1814 that have the word "Royale", but the bowl (pan) without guard-fire and inclined. So the key date is at most of 1814 or later.
As for the post (tread) initial deTerry is a bit tricky, because we have been presented without saying that the key belongs to a musket (gun) of Swiss Guards of the King.
The "Cent Suisses" were the four companies, together with "Logis des Marchaux" at the "Maison du Roi"
Affectionately. Fernando KAfectuosamente. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 03:16 PM   #12
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
... En cuanto al post (tread) inicial deTerry, es un poco tramposo, porque nos ha presentado la llave sin decirnos que pertenece a un mosquete (fusil) de guardias suizos del Rey....

... As for the post (tread) initial deTerry is a bit tricky, because we have been presented without saying that the key belongs to a musket (gun) of Swiss Guards of the King....
You are right, Fernando; i also noticed that, with surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry1956
... Can anyone please let me know what this lock is off, age etc. ...
... As if Michael only had the lock.
Surely he has an explanation for that ... right, Michael ?
Old 24th November 2011, 05:00 PM   #13
terry1956

Default in reply

hi chaps, did not wish to mislead in any way, just wanted to know what date you placed on the lock without knowing anymore about the weapon, it would of just been so easy to say well its so and so on seeing the whole musket. as you now know its a 1814 date french Charleville musket for the swiss cent guard of louis XV111. the guard was made up of 100 men armed with these very nice looking muskets each made to the highest standard of the day. On the return of napoleon the cent guard went with him. they did not reform after the 100 days. michael