Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 1st October 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
terry1956

Default is this real or a copy.

hi chaps, what do you make of this helmet. is it real or a copy. what date you place on it, thanks, michael
Attached Images

terry1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 12:59 PM   #2
A Senefelder

This is of course based on the pics which isn't obiviously the best way to tell but constructionally it looks okay. This appeares to be the typical munnitions troopers three bar pot helmet usually associated with the ECW. The bowl is constructed in two halves, the comb on one half being a little longer so it can be crimped over the other half to join them together along with a rivet front and back at the brow line where the halves overlap. The tail appears rather than actually being made of several lames to have a false ridge hammered in to give the impression of several lames, something that was typical of mass produced munnitions helmets of this type. The punched hole at the bottom of the tail/neck plate is somthing often seen both in England and on the continent ( i've owned helmets of several types including cabbacettes with it ) for suspending the helmet from a thong when not wearing it. Square cut washers was typical especially of munnitions armour. I don't see any particular reason to not think this piece isn't good but as mentioned above this is just based on photos.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 04:19 PM   #3
terry1956

Default in reply

thanks Senefelder, its always nice to have a second view on things. michael
Old 1st October 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
A Senefelder

I forgot to mention it but the leathers for the cheek plates/ear flaps are replacements. These straps do not usually travel the ages well so having replacemenst isn't particularlly unusual.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
terry1956

Default reply

thanks again, michael
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Atlantia

Terry,
Have a really close look inside the crest seam. I've seen some really good looking repros recently and a coule had telltale signs in the crest seam. One had a line of electirc weld that the maker couldn't get in to grind out

Overall, on first glance it looks a good helmet, but a minute examination of these is always needed now.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 08:57 PM   #7
terry1956

Default in answer

hi, no there is not any weld in the helmet, but what the pictures do not show is what looks like an old sword cut to the front upper section. this would just be the place for a cavalrymans blow to hit the helmet. will try to get some better pictures showing this. michael
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:34 PM   #8
theswordcollector

Smile looks goood to me yes but look out for the modern Repros on Ebay

The English have been making really good fakes since the late 1990's not including all the Victorian decrotive pieces being sold as period, but on the new stuff they alway leave welding burn ditches that they cant grind deep enough to get out. I even had a cabasset helemt x-rayed one time to show the weld to prove it to the English dealer who sold it to me. I see on ebay all the time people buying these repros for big money listed as original selling from England even the U.S. . I think this helmet looks A ok to me no doubts. the leather replacement could have been done better :-)
theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote