Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Lightbulb Indian trade and colonies

Already from before the 2nd century BC ships from India and the Far East were known to have been trading on the African Read Sea cost and in Arabia. The trade must have been big, be course not only have Indian DNA been found in the Ethiopian population, but DNA from their cattle have been found in the Zebus in Ethiopia. This could perhaps indicate an Indian colony.

It is known that the Indians imported many horses from Arabia, many of them by sea, and it is also known that the Indians exported a great number of ingots, but what, maybe, is less known is, that they also exported a great number of the very famous Indian blades to Persia, Syria and most likely also to the African east coast.

In order to be able to sell the blades, they had to be made to the taste in the different countries – blades as well as decorations, unless the decorations were made later, in the land where the blades were sold. This means that old blades, which are supposed to have been made in Persia, Syria or in another country, could have been made in India, in the style of the market it was meant for.

When it comes to the east, the Hindu’s had, from the 8th century on established colonies in Malaya, Java, Sumatra, Borneo and probably a few other places, which could indicate, that not only ingots, but also blades were traded to these places for spices, silk and other goods which was brought to India, and part of it to the Red Sea area for further trade.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I am sure they probably did.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 03:34 PM   #3
tom hyle

Are the people of Madagascar not considered to be of Hindoo/Singhalese ancestry? Or is that a more recent colony? I think I've heard humans haven't been there long? but that could be "not long" in pretty broad terms; I don't remember...........Anyway, interesting thoughts and info. Thanks.

Last edited by tom hyle; 9th April 2005 at 03:35 PM. Reason: noy is not a word, even to me; "not long"
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

I don't know about Madagascar, but I would not be surprised, as they could have sailed down along the coast, but I know that Zanzibar was one of the strongholds when it came to the trade.
Btw the Indiand also bought quite a lot of slaves when they were in these waters - also Africa was 'invented' by the Romans who called this part of North Africa, where Cartago was capital - Africa terra.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 04:41 PM   #5
tom hyle

That goes easy on my mind; the over-culture was originally if not invented by the ancient Latins (a definite maybe) certainly vastly promulgated by them, across both space and time. I'm getting some kind of theory, which actually involves China, so it's helpful to consider ideas that may either opose or combine with it. I think the Indian ocean could be viewed as a center with a certain cultural sphere around it. To some extent you can pick any point on Earth and get pretty valid results (when adding migration patterns) doing this, for genes (which is one thing many consider illogical about the concept of race) or for culture, but centering it on ocean is an interesting concept, and I think one with, especially in this instance, a lot of historical antecedent. It seems to me from what little I know that the people around these coasts and islands still kind of see things this way; the ocean as the center of the "known world" if you will, and even the Mediterranean is the Middle Earth Sea (not sure of the relation to the old German expression/concept Middle Earth [Mid-gaard, Mittel-march, etc.]).......it makes the field of travel, of fishing, of commerce and long distance trade into the center, this concept does, in a way; useful and intereseting.

Last edited by tom hyle; 9th April 2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: it just keeps growing i whacked it with a shovel but it just keeps growing
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2007, 06:31 PM   #6
roshan

The people of Madagascar are of Malayan ancestry. The Malagasy language is most closely related to the Dayak languages in central Borneo. How their ancestors travelled all the way from Borneo to Madagascar is a mystery.

Its amazing how the Malayo-Polynesian people spread through an area as vast as Madagascar in the West to Hawaii and Easter Island in the east.
roshan is offline   Reply With Quote