Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th January 2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default Big Flyssa Thread

Here is a compilation of all the threads I could find dealing specifically with the flyssa or contributing information to our understanding of this weapon. I thought this would be useful, as I for one often come back reading about the flyssa. I will do this for some other interesting weapons as well.

"Nice Old Flyssa"
A blast from the past, dealing with the potential use of the flyssa as a cavalry weapon. Just how it was employed and how one was meant to cut with it is still subject to debate.

"Interesting flyssa variant"
A discussion about a more rudimentary type of flyssa, with little decoration. The last post includes a variant with high curvature, a departure from the generally straight examples.

"A Kabyle Flissa of Algeria"
This discussion centred more upon the geographic attribution of the flyssa - whether it was Moroccan or Algerian. There is also interesting information about symbolism and possible fighting methods.

"Curved Flyssa in St-Petersburg museum...Ariel, Jim, Ham...somebody please explain!!!"
A discussion about a curved flyssa, not too common, but apparently nothing too extraordinary. Some good links have been presented between the flyssa and some Circassian sabres. It seems the same flyssa picture had been posted in an earlier thread: "a few exhibitions/articles, great photos" unknown to me.

"My First Flyssa ..... a few questions"
A short thread on a medium-sized flyssa. Good to see the different variants of this sword.

"good battle quality flyssa"
This discussion covered a simple unadorned flyssa variant.

Again, if I missed any, please point them out.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote