Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd June 2019, 03:36 AM   #1
RAMBA

Default Brass Hilt Tulwar with Script

I have another Tulwar to show - this time with a brass hilt and a blade that shows Gujarati script (Translation would be great). The script is dot punched in the manner of Bikaner Armory, Rajasthan. The script has been highlighted with yellow chalk.

Tip to pommel - 92 cms

Blade - 82 cms with nice distal taper - last 31 cms on spine is sharp.I think it is Indian made.

Quite a heavy sword in hand.

Thanks
Attached Images

RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:49 AM   #2
ariel

My guess it is a recent composition of an older arsenal blade and a 20 century cheap mass produced handle with heavy repair ( see braised connection of the hilt an the upper disk).
Regretfully the blade is heavily rusted to the point that even heavy cleaning and polishing is very unlikely to reveal the composition of its steel.
It looks like freshly made Indian production: they have humongous supplies of broken parts and just slap them together
Sorry for the negative opinion.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:49 AM   #3
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
My guess it is a recent composition of an older arsenal blade and a 20 century cheap mass produced handle with heavy repair ( see braised connection of the hilt an the upper disk).
Regretfully the blade is heavily rusted to the point that even heavy cleaning and polishing is very unlikely to reveal the composition of its steel.
It looks like freshly made Indian production: they have humongous supplies of broken parts and just slap them together
Sorry for the negative opinion.
Good to know - nothing negative if i'm learning something - a new area for me Tulwar. I had some poor photos to go off and picked it up for not a whole lot. The script was why I bought it. In building up a 35 piece Nepalese weapons collection I have made one or two "errors". Or educational experiences. These have allowed me to get most very right and some exceedingly so.

I think you are right that it is a marriage. In hand it does not look last week but if they came together in the second half of the 20th it would make sense from what I can see and what you have said.
Old 22nd June 2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

I am afrait that Ariel is right in his judgement.
Whne it comes to the dot marking it seems to me that i could be Kutch script, numbers and letters - strange with the dots inbetween. 51 . 21 . ? . ? 27 ?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The REAL treasure is in that blade, and with those inscribed 'numbers' outstanding!
The hilt is as noted of the cheap pale brass used in reproductions back in the 60s......they used to sell Indian tulwars in magazines for 19 bucks. The poor braising is also evident.
I once had a great 17th century tulwar blade but with clearly modern mounts. It seemed to me the blade deserved its own merit, but I was hesitant to dismount it . Just display it as is with notice to the blade......the hilt is just a prop.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 08:52 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hmm, I doubt how old the dot markings are - filled with some yellowish fluid.
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:49 PM   #7
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
The REAL treasure is in that blade, and with those inscribed 'numbers' outstanding!
The hilt is as noted of the cheap pale brass used in reproductions back in the 60s......they used to sell Indian tulwars in magazines for 19 bucks. The poor braising is also evident.
I once had a great 17th century tulwar blade but with clearly modern mounts. It seemed to me the blade deserved its own merit, but I was hesitant to dismount it . Just display it as is with notice to the blade......the hilt is just a prop.
Yes I would take 1960's for when this marriage was arranged. The blade does have some age to it - archaic - and the dot markings are old too.
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:52 PM   #8
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hmm, I doubt how old the dot markings are - filled with some yellowish fluid.
The dot markings have been recently rubbed over with yellow chalk by the seller/auction house. I recall there was a before picture in the sale and the marking were barely visible. I believe they are to the period of the blade.Yes the best I could do was numbers and 6276 being the last four. I was looking at Gujarati script.

Found picture pre highlighted.
Attached Images

Old 23rd June 2019, 06:08 AM   #9
bhushan_lawate

The dot marks read the following:

Pa Ra Na 5215 (all in the Devanagari Script - used for Sanskrit, Marathi and Hindi languages)

However, the style of numbers does not appear to be too old and slightly off as well. however, this observation is based on the current clarity of photos and better quality snaps will help corroborate of change it.

Regards,
Bhushan
bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:30 AM   #10
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan_lawate
The dot marks read the following:

Pa Ra Na 5215 (all in the Devanagari Script - used for Sanskrit, Marathi and Hindi languages)

However, the style of numbers does not appear to be too old and slightly off as well. however, this observation is based on the current clarity of photos and better quality snaps will help corroborate of change it.

Regards,
Bhushan
Thank you this is fantastic - Creates more questions thought. I have cleaned the yellow chalk away and taken a photo through a magnifying glass.
Attached Images

Last edited by RAMBA; 23rd June 2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:16 PM   #11
Jens Nordlunde

Bhushan, Thank you for the correction.