Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 13th April 2016, 07:14 AM   #1
PeterP

Default Unusual style sheath

Last weekend I found this empty scabbard at a flea market. It's pretty worn down, quite old, and in bad repair. What attracted me was the unusual style. Could somebody tell me where this style originates? It's not your usual javanese or madurese sheath. I think I've seen it once or twice before, but I can't find another example on the net. It would be nice if somebody could point me to the right direction.
Peter Paul
Attached Images

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 07:20 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

East Jawa sandang walikat
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 06:46 PM   #3
Sajen

Here a few more from my collection: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=madura
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 09:41 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Madura is a part of East Jawa, classify as East Jawa rather than Madura nobody is going to argue with you.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
....classify as East Jawa rather than Madura nobody is going to argue with you.
Hello Alan,

haven't had this feeling. Only want to show Peter similar examples.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 13th April 2016, 10:33 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Understood Detlef, but not everybody understands that Madura is a part of East Jawa, so when there is a non-confrontational choice it is wise to take it.
Old 14th April 2016, 07:03 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Understood Detlef, but not everybody understands that Madura is a part of East Jawa, so when there is a non-confrontational choice it is wise to take it.

Understood!
Old 14th April 2016, 03:47 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm one of those who didn't know that Madura was part of East Jawa. I thought it was a separate island.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 06:18 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I'm one of those who didn't know that Madura was part of East Jawa. I thought it was a separate island.
It actually is a separate island José, but ever since Sultan Agung of Mataram conquered Madura in 1624 this island has strong, though often contested influence and control from Jawa. It is to this day administered as part of the East Java province.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 11:14 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, Madura is a separate island, but it is very, very close to the North Coast of Jawa, just opposite Surabaya --- some kids live in Madura, go to school in Surabaya. There is a bridge that crosses from Surabaya to Madura. There are Madurese people all over East Jawa.

There is a different perception of the sea and the land amongst Indonesians than there is amongst people from Western cultures:- we look at water and we regard it as a barrier, Indonesians look at water and they regard it as a highway.

Back in pre-colonial times, and even through well into colonial times, the major means of transport was by river and sea, Jawa was covered with jungle, it was only after the Dutch began building roads that land transport over the island became feasible. This same situation applied in many other parts of Indonesia until fairly recent times.

The way Indonesians refer to their country is :- "Tanah Air Kita" = "Our Land and Water". The sea spaces between the islands of Indonesia are regarded equally with the land as a part of the country.

Yes, there are some different socio-cultural practices in Madura than on Jawa, yes, Madura people have a totally different character to that of the normal run of Javanese people. However, the same thing can apply in Jawa itself on a city by city basis. For example, the differences between Surakarta people and Ngayogyakarta people. The same society, the same culture, but noticeable differences.