Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2006, 03:30 AM   #1
miken31

Default Interested in Sword Collecting.....Need Advice

Hello,
I've been considering collecting swords for some time, but I've been a little bit too intimidated to actually start collecting. I bought a few books that were recommended to me (Glossary of Deconstrcuction, Construction and Use of Arms and Armor; Swords and Hilt Weapons; and Swords and Daggers by Eduard Wagner). First, I'm having trouble limiting myself to a focus as I find so many swords from different countries and periods very interesting. Next, as much information as these books give, I have no idea what's considered to be "fair" as far as value in purchasing swords. Basically, any advice anyone wants to give to a potential collector would be very great appreciated. Thanks in advance.
miken31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 04:26 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Welcome miken.

While we don't give appraisals of particular items on this Board, if you look at some of the threads here with links to finished eBay items you will likely get a general idea of what many people think is "fair" or "unfair" value. You can always send a member a Personal Message (PM) if you want to know more about a specific sword and what they think it's worth.

As far as doing research, it really depends on what you want to collect. Use the search function on this forum and the older version to check out some excellent information here -- you will see that members frquently provide reference materials. On line book sellers are also a good source for out of print or obscure books. I use American Book Exchange (ABE) at www.abe.com to look for hard to find books.

I'm sure other Members will contribute further information to help get you started.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Bill M

Miken,

Buy and study books first. Books may be expensive, but far less than buying junk that you can't learn from and can't sell.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048...lance&n=283155
is a good basic book.

See if there are museums in your area that have swords. If so, they will sometimes let you know about collectors in your area. Handle as many pieces as you can to give you a feel for what you may like and quality.

Get to know some of the established dealers on the internet, PM me and I will give you a list. It may not be appropriate to post their names here in the open forum, but these people, while not exactly giving you spine-tingling bargains, WILL be fair in pricing. As you learn more, you will be able to spot bargains in other places.

"Luck" is preparation and study meeting opportunity.

Best of luck in this fun hobby,

Bill
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
AS FAR AS COLLECTING EDGED WEAPONS GOES THERE IS A GOOD WARNING. "ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE ABANDON ALL HOPE" OF BEING SATISFIED AND ABLE TO SAY I HAVE ENOUGH IN MY COLLECTION

STONES GLOSSARY IS PERHAPS THE BEST BOOK TO GET AN IDEA OF JUST HOW MANY TYPES OF WEAPONS, ECT. THERE ARE. AS YOU MENTIONED IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO JUST DECIDE ON ONE TYPE TO COLLECT. I NEVER COULD DECIDE SO JUST GET WHAT EVER INTERESTES ME THAT I CAN AFFORD.
OFTEN I LEARN ABOUT THE WEAPON AFTER I HAVE BOUGHT IT BUT THERE ARE THINGS THAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET FOR 40 YEARS THAT STILL ELUDE ME. I HAVE NEVER COLLECTED WITH THE IDEA OF MAKEING MONEY OR AS AN INVESTMENT BUT JUST FOR THE PURE PLEASURE OF HAVING THESE OBJECTS TO STUDY AND LEARN ABOUT THEM AND THE CULTURES WHO PRODUCED THEM.
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS TO COLLECT MOST SMARTER THAN MY WAY OF DOING IT.
1. COLLECT ONLY THE VERY BEST EXAMPLES OF RARE ITEMS THAT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN HIGH DEMAND AND CONSTANTLY INCREASED IN PRICE. FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES BUT NO ONE SAYS YOU CAN'T ENJOY AND LEARN ABOUT THEM WHILE YOU HAVE THEM. THIS REQUIRES A LOT OF KNOWLEGE OR A HONEST DEALER WITH THAT KNOWLEGE TO HELP IT ALSO REQUIRES A LOT OF CASH.

2. BUY WHAT YOU SEE THAT YOU CAN RESELL AT PROFIT AND USE THE MONEY TO BUY BETTER STUFF FOR YOUR COLLECTION MAKEING YOUR COLLECTING PAY FOR ITSELF. LOTS OF PEOPLE DO THIS BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO AS I LIKE EVERYTHING TOO MUCH.

3. BUY ANY INTERESTING EXAMPLES OF ALL FORMS OF WEAPONS THAT YOU CAN AFFORD REGARDLESS OF QUALITY AND END UP WITH A HOUSE FULL OF STUFF FROM JUNK TO REAL TREASURES. THIS FILLS YOUR HOUSE AND TIES UP YOUR MONEY WHICH MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO KEEP COLLECTING. THIS IS MORE OR LESS MY METHOD OF COLLECTING NOT TOO SMART BUT I HAVE ENJOYED IT AND OLD HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK.

I HAVE LET A FEW ITEMS GO OVER THE YEARS BUT ALWAYS TO COLLECTORS WHO SPECIALIZE IN CERTIAN ITEMS THAT I HAVE VERY FEW OF AND AM NOT LIKIELY TO FIND ANY MORE OF. AT SOME POINT IT WILL BE TIME TO PASS ON THE COLLECTION SO AS TO NOT BURDEN MY CHILDREN WITH HAVING TO DEAL WITH IT BUT THAT IS STILL IN THE FUTURE. IT HAS BEEN A FUN, EDUCATIONAL HOBBY OVER THE YEARS AND HAS PAYED FOR ITSELF WITH THE ENJOYMENT I HAVE HAD AND HOPEFULLY WILL RETURN THE MONEY SPENT OVER THE YEARS WITH A BIT OF PROFIT. YOU HAVE AN ADVANTAGE AT THIS POINT ON PRICES AS YOU WILL NOT REMEMBER THE PRICES FROM THE PAST WHICH MAKE EVERYTHING LOOK OVERPRICED TO US OLD TIMERS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Bienvenidos, Willkommen, Mabuhay, Miken!

Knowledge is power. I have only been ripped off 2 times in my collecting (knock on wood, like my head ) and most of that of that is due to high standards and knowledge . I am better off when I know more than the dealers and thus can better spot a fake or discern lower vs. higher quality stuff. Books, this forum, other dealers, museums, etc. are invaluable. The more you can touch and see up close the better.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
3. BUY ANY INTERESTING EXAMPLES OF ALL FORMS OF WEAPONS THAT YOU CAN AFFORD REGARDLESS OF QUALITY AND END UP WITH A HOUSE FULL OF STUFF FROM JUNK TO REAL TREASURES. THIS FILLS YOUR HOUSE AND TIES UP YOUR MONEY WHICH MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO KEEP COLLECTING. THIS IS MORE OR LESS MY METHOD OF COLLECTING NOT TOO SMART BUT I HAVE ENJOYED IT AND OLD HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK.

I HAVE LET A FEW ITEMS GO OVER THE YEARS BUT ALWAYS TO COLLECTORS WHO SPECIALIZE IN CERTIAN ITEMS THAT I HAVE VERY FEW OF AND AM NOT LIKIELY TO FIND ANY MORE OF. AT SOME POINT IT WILL BE TIME TO PASS ON THE COLLECTION SO AS TO NOT BURDEN MY CHILDREN WITH HAVING TO DEAL WITH IT BUT THAT IS STILL IN THE FUTURE. IT HAS BEEN A FUN, EDUCATIONAL HOBBY OVER THE YEARS AND HAS PAYED FOR ITSELF WITH THE ENJOYMENT I HAVE HAD AND HOPEFULLY WILL RETURN THE MONEY SPENT OVER THE YEARS WITH A BIT OF PROFIT. YOU HAVE AN ADVANTAGE AT THIS POINT ON PRICES AS YOU WILL NOT REMEMBER THE PRICES FROM THE PAST WHICH MAKE EVERYTHING LOOK OVERPRICED TO US OLD TIMERS.
Barry:

You must be my southern brother from another mother.

I have pursued the third option for years too -- much to the chagrin of my family -- but it has been a delightful obsession.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 11:45 PM   #7
Aurangzeb

Hello Mekin31!

Might I suggest the book "Travels for Daggers" by Eiler R. Cook. It was the first book on edged weapons I got and it gives a pretty good overall look at swords and daggers from different periods and places.

Mark...
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote