Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2007, 02:17 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Smile RAY SKIN WANTED FOR RESTORATION

Help please. Does anyone have a piece of Ray skin (Shagrin) to do a restoration on a Dha handle. Would need a piece approx 8" x 6".
Thanks in advance
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 11:31 AM   #2
RhysMichael

I do not have any but I have gotten it before at Tandy Leather if there are any of those stores where you are. they also have a web site
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 07:40 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
I do not have any but I have gotten it before at Tandy Leather if there are any of those stores where you are. they also have a web site
Thanks for that. I have checked the Tandy website and see they are USA & Canada only so will keep trying here at present.
Regards
Old 1st December 2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default I'll have a look.

Hi Stuart, I'll have a look in my local leather supplier when they open up again, could be a little while as they closed their door whilst there is a family illness. I reckon they might just have some as I am amazed everytime I go there with the amount any variation they have. I'll keep you posted.
PM me your email addy if you like.

best regards

Gavin

Australia

PS how do customs view the import of this skin....any trouble you think??
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 10:12 PM   #5
t_c

You might try Fred Lohman if you can't find it elsewhere:
http://www.japanese-swords.com/
t_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 03:09 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_c
You might try Fred Lohman if you can't find it elsewhere:
http://www.japanese-swords.com/
Thanks T C
Old 5th December 2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Hi Stuart, I'll have a look in my local leather supplier when they open up again, could be a little while as they closed their door whilst there is a family illness. I reckon they might just have some as I am amazed everytime I go there with the amount any variation they have. I'll keep you posted.
PM me your email addy if you like.

best regards

Gavin

Australia

PS how do customs view the import of this skin....any trouble you think??
I do not know what the NZ laws are regarding importation of animal parts, but there is always Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) to consider. CITES restricts, and in some cases prohibits, the trade in endangered & threatened species and there parts (such as skin). Under CITES you must obtain an exportation permit from the country of origin, then an importation permit for the destination country. The first step is to see if rays are on the list of protected species (this is from the US agency web cite, but it is the same for all convention signatories). If not, you are OK, but still advised to contact your Customs agency to be sure you are meeting any requirements that still apply. In the US, you must still apply for a permit, but then establish the material is not from an endangered species. In practical terms you do not have to do that, but it saves aggravation if for whatever reason Customs inspects the shipment. I suggest having the shipping manifest list the contents as "tanned leather" or something similar (make sure NZ doesn't restrict importing leather per se, though).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 08:36 PM   #8
fearn

Here's the environmentalist message:

Sharks and rays are declining all over the world, due to overfishing (i.e. for shark fins), by-catch, and habitat loss. Some of the largest rays and sharks are endangered, whether they are listed or not. The basic problem for all these fish is that they are long-lived and reproduce slowly. Hence, any poorly controlled fishing can mess them up quickly, and they take a long time to recover. As top predators, their disappearance has major impacts all the way down the food chain, and can cause things like increased disease outbreaks in game fish (sharks eat sick fish and can stop outbreaks) and unwelcome changes in coral reef structure (coral-eating fish multiply, and overgraze reefs).

That said, I'm not against using shagrin on a sword. The question is, can you use existing skin (perhaps by recycling it from a woman's purse) as opposed to killing a ray just for a hand-sized piece of skin? If you can, then it makes sense to do so. Considering CITES issues, it also makes sense to use a demonstrably older resource, because those are not regulated by CITES regulations, whereas fresh material is.

My 0.02 cents,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 02:54 AM   #9
kahnjar1

Smile Agree entirely

Thanks Mark and Fearn.
Yes I am well aware of CITIES and agree re killing just for the sake of it is not on. I have decided to wait until I can either get a piece from a handbag or wallet (or shoes). It would really not matter if it was artificial as I believe it is VERY hard to tell the difference unless you look at the back---which of course would be hidden on the handle.
Also I have got on to a local source of Skate skin--related to the Ray, but much smaller, and a commercial fish species here.
Something will suit I'm sure, but it has to look right otherwise there is little point in restoration.
Will see how things pan out, but in the meantime, thanks to all who have given suggestions.
Will post some pics at a later date when restoration is done.

Stuart
Old 6th December 2007, 05:07 PM   #10
fearn

Great news, Stuart. If you go with the skate skin, I'd be interested in hearing how it works out.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 01:58 AM   #11
kahnjar1

Smile

Hi Fearn,
Will certainly let you know (if I remember!!). F Y I The item I am restoring (as far as is possible) is the Dha ref thread Very Long Dha--have a look.
Stuart
Old 14th December 2007, 01:24 AM   #12
Nonoy Tan

Fearn, thank you for reminding all of us of our environmental responsibilities.

I would like to share a couple of photos I took a few weeks ago on mantas being hunted and slaughtered for their meat and skin. Very sad

On the ligher side, private initiatives are already taking place in order to provide alternative livelihood for these subsistence fishermen.

If I may add ... The degradation of the environment has also caused the demise of some ethnic peoples who made beautiful bladed weapons. For centuries, they have relied on nature's abundance for food, habitation, etc. Unfortunately, the commercial onslaught/harvesting of these natural resources (mainly coming from external economies) has negatively impacted the environment and consequently, these peoples. My 2 cents.

Stuart, your decision is commendable. I hope that it will serve as an example for all of us sharing the same love for arms and bladed weapons.

Nonoy
Attached Images

Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 05:37 AM   #13
kahnjar1

Thumbs up

Thanks for the positive comments. As a matter of interest, ray skins are being sold on Ebay. Its surprising that this is not being stopped by the Ebay people!! I did not go this way as I have distinct doubts as to the ability to import thru our Customs/Agriculture controls without encountering problems. I seem to remember that the seller is in China---why am I not surprised!!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
Fearn, thank you for reminding all of us of our environmental responsibilities.

I would like to share a couple of photos I took a few weeks ago on mantas being hunted and slaughtered for their meat and skin. Very sad

On the ligher side, private initiatives are already taking place in order to provide alternative livelihood for these subsistence fishermen.

If I may add ... The degradation of the environment has also caused the demise of some ethnic peoples who made beautiful bladed weapons. For centuries, they have relied on nature's abundance for food, habitation, etc. Unfortunately, the commercial onslaught/harvesting of these natural resources (mainly coming from external economies) has negatively impacted the environment and consequently, these peoples. My 2 cents.

Stuart, your decision is commendable. I hope that it will serve as an example for all of us sharing the same love for arms and bladed weapons.

Nonoy