Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2024, 03:15 PM   #1
RobT

Default Good Image

C4RL,

Thanks for posting your three examples. This was what I was looking for when I asked other forum members to post relevant photos. To me, all three of the heads you show bear a remarkable resemblance to the pierced axes posted on this thread (as well as to my un-pierced one). As you note, the leftmost one in your post is the closest match. Frankly, I would say close enough to be exact (the eye shape differs but I think that is irrelevant). There appears to be a ruler in the photo but the gradations are illegible. Judging by the relative size of the brick background, I’d say that the axe heads look roughly the same size as the other axe heads in this post. Could you provide some dimensions for the leftmost one to confirm this? Also, you state that, “This is an old image of three large French axes I have”. By that, do you mean that they were made in France or just found in France. How do you know? Are they stamped with country of origin or did you get them in France? It would really be funny if they were made in India for export to France or conversely, made in France for export to India.
The salient difference between my axe head and your axe is that mine is stamped “INDIA”, Sakalord364 asked, “Do you believe this Indian axehead has any connection to the Afghan example, or could it just be a coincidence in terms of design?” My response to his question mentioned the presence of Pashtun people in India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan (note that there are other ethnic groups that inhabit all three countries as well). My point was that the shape of the axe head was chosen because it is familiar to an ethnic group (or groups). It is far easier to sell a hand tool to someone if the buyer is used to the shape and style of the tool because no new ergonomics have to be learned and the user would also be visually comfortable with the form. The fact that my axe head is stamped “INDIA” indicates that at least some product was slated for export. Most probably to a nearby country but maybe even to France.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2024, 05:18 PM   #2
C4RL

12" tall & 10" bit so it's huge.
Full story here in one of my threads (with images missing due to Photobuckets antics, I'm reinstating them slowly)- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...h-axe.1424530/

I don't for one minute believe there is any connection whatsoever between this head, your Indian head & the O.Ps axe head. Other than they are axes that share a shape.
There are millions of axe heads, being a similar shape is just .....well... a similar shape, nothing more (yes, we know there are historical styles & patterns, but these don't have common ancestry).

On the forum I linked to people post up found axes with expectations after seeing an image online that's "similar", most often it turns out to be something different. Have a look through the posts yourself.

~In fact, post up your images & theory there and see what others think. It's free.~

Middle one - hung on the wall in my old house.
Attached Images

Last edited by C4RL; 21st March 2024 at 05:36 PM.
C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2024, 12:12 AM   #3
RobT

Default More Than One Answer

C4RL,

Using the link you provided, I read through the discussion of your axe. Since, the profile of your axe head exactly matches the profile of the OP’s pierced axe head and my un-pierced “INDIA” axe head and that, given its script stamp (it would have been helpful if you had mentioned that), your axe head was undeniably made in Western Europe, the conclusion is inescapable that the same axe head form evolved independently in two (at least) very disparate places.
However, that in no way excludes the possibility that my un-pierced axe head is simply the working tool version of the pierced axe heads and that these heads (both pierced and un-pierced) represent a profile that is part of the material culture of a specific ethnic group (or groups) that live in a geographic area.
You have provided incontrovertible evidence that your position is correct but, adding the factor of geographical proximity to your premise logically dictates that my position is also likely to be correct. As the song goes, “There’s more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line
And the less I seek my source for some definitive
Closer I am to fine”.

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 24th March 2024, 04:18 PM   #4
C4RL

We are all entitled to our own beliefs & theories, just not our own facts.

Regards, Carl.
C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2024, 12:21 AM   #5
RobT

Default Facts & Theories

C4RL,

I believe, if you reread all of my posts in this thread, you will find that all of my statements regarding the relationship of my axe head and the OP's axe are clearly stated as suppositions not facts. I was very, very careful about that.

Sincerely,
RobT