Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th July 2015, 08:15 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default PRIMER FLASK.....from where???

Just picked this one up, and would like some comment and suggestions as to origin.
The base has a plug, which is (I assume) used to fill the flask as it would be impossible to fill it from the spout end.
The flask body is horn, decorated with metal work and turquoises and glass beads. The spout is not adjustable as one would expect on a primer flask, and is covered by a nice friction fit cap. Both caps have chain anchor loops but the chain is missing.
A bit different from the usual primer flask seen around.
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

My first thoughts are Morocco?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 09:50 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Any ideas Gentlemen?
Old 11th July 2015, 09:11 AM   #4
colin henshaw

With those turquoise and glass stones in those settings, it has a Central Asian or Tibetan look...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Henk

In the ottoman area they where fond of these kind of decorations as well.
The other suggestions make sense as well.
Nice find, that's for sure.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 07:14 PM   #6
rickystl

Hi Stu.
That is a really neat looking horn, for sure. This is a tough one to place it's origin. Hmmmm. I know the turquoise and other stones were popular throughout the Region. But I tend to agree here with Colin. Looks more Southeast Asian, or similar. It's great it still has both it's filler plug and cap. Usually one of the two, or both is usually missing as you know. So this is a good find. Judging by the length it could be a priming horn. But I'm more inclined to think it is a medium sized, what is occasionally refered to as a "day horn". Just enough powder for a 2-3 day hunt. Would be worth restoring the missing stones if you can locate them. Again, nice horn.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 09:42 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu.
That is a really neat looking horn, for sure. This is a tough one to place it's origin. Hmmmm. I know the turquoise and other stones were popular throughout the Region. But I tend to agree here with Colin. Looks more Southeast Asian, or similar. It's great it still has both it's filler plug and cap. Usually one of the two, or both is usually missing as you know. So this is a good find. Judging by the length it could be a priming horn. But I'm more inclined to think it is a medium sized, what is occasionally refered to as a "day horn". Just enough powder for a 2-3 day hunt. Would be worth restoring the missing stones if you can locate them. Again, nice horn.
Rick.
Hi Rick,
Not so sure about SEA origins. Any flasks I have seen from that area are plain wood, some with carved decoration, but none with metal and stone work.
I am leaning towards northern India/Tibet but as Henk points out it could also be of Ottoman origin which covers a fairly wide area.
I do not agree about it being what you term a "day horn" Too small, and the spout hole is only 4mm across which would be OK for fine priming powder, but I think would cause difficulty with the coarse main charge powder.
The replacement turquoises are sitting here on my desk, and will be fitted later today.
Stu
Old 12th July 2015, 08:57 AM   #8
BANDOOK

Default TIBETAN POWDER HORN

HI STU GREETINGS
AS SOME SUGGESTED TIBET AM PRESENTING MINE WHICH IS MADE FROM THE HORNS OF THE TIBETAN WILD SHEEP [BHARAL] OR THE HIMALAYAN BLUE SHEEP,IT HAS TURQOUISE,RED CORAL AND SILVER DECORATIONS,CHEERS
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 09:46 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Rick,
Not so sure about SEA origins. Any flasks I have seen from that area are plain wood, some with carved decoration, but none with metal and stone work.
I am leaning towards northern India/Tibet but as Henk points out it could also be of Ottoman origin which covers a fairly wide area.
I do not agree about it being what you term a "day horn" Too small, and the spout hole is only 4mm across which would be OK for fine priming powder, but I think would cause difficulty with the coarse main charge powder.
The replacement turquoises are sitting here on my desk, and will be fitted later today.
Stu
A couple of pics of the flask with stones replaced.
Still looking for origin point..........Thanks Rajesh for your pic of your Tibetan flask. Very nice, but apart from the stones, the decoration is quite different to that on my Primer.
Stu
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2015, 08:35 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Default Trying Again

No conclusive decision as to origin from the first try. Any further thoughts please?
Stu
Old 24th July 2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Henk

Very well done, Stu. It makes the flask complete.
Comparing it with the Tibetan powder flask i'm more convinced about my first guess. Ottoman/Balkan Area.
Old 24th July 2015, 01:39 PM   #12
colin henshaw

Did an internet search for "Tibetan snuff flask", and found a few that have reasonably similar wirework
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Henk

You nailed it Colin

I think the metal and wirework could be silver.
Old 25th July 2015, 07:52 AM   #14
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
You nailed it Colin

I think the metal and wirework could be silver.
Unfortunately not silver as far as I can tell. Looks like brass, or a brass alloy showing a very slight silvery hue. Anyway a nice and unusual flask IMHO. Will tag as Ottoman/Balkan unless something more concrete surfaces.
Thanks Gentlemen
Stu