Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2008, 02:39 AM   #1
chevalier

Default need help determining if this is the real deal (liuyedao)

all i want to know is if i got/get ripped off, or if this is the real deal.

late 19th/early 20th century liuyedao?

also what is the translation of the inscriptions?

chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 02:40 AM   #2
chevalier

more pics

Old 26th August 2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Bill M

Hey chevalier, If you want authentic pieces, you should buy from authentic dealers. Phillip Tom, Scott Rodell, Charles Saunders, Artzi Yoram to name a few.

The HUGE majority of Chinese pieces on eBay are not authentic.

All the pieces I have displayed came from dealers, most from these dealers listed above.

You will pay a comparatively high price, compared to eBay and online dealers, but you can be assured of quality and pieces that will increase in value.

You are dealing in an arena that is replete with fakes.

Even with dealers and experienced collectors, it takes hands-on experience to be sure. Dealers who will refund your money and/or replace your purchase if ever it can be shown that what you bought from them is not authentic.

A friend recently brought me two dao that he paid $5200 for the pair. Guess what? High end repros. The online pictures looked good, but in the hand, even Anne knew they were not authentic old items.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
josh stout

Yeah that one is a fake.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Bill M

Chev,

Josh is more straightforward than me. He is right, of course.

You might ask some of the Forum guys who regularly post Chinese weapons to give you advice before you purchase? Do this in private email and see who would help you.
Old 27th August 2008, 01:10 AM   #6
chevalier

im glad i dident buy it
Old 27th August 2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Bill M

Me too!
Old 27th August 2008, 05:52 PM   #8
josh stout

I am happy to help with advice to the best of my ability. I don't always get it right, but my mistakes tend to lead me to regret not buying something rather than into regretting buying something. It is a cheaper kind of mistake.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Bill M

It was my huge good fortune to acquire a mentor who understood the difference in good and bad Chinese pieces.

I also learned to spend more money on books and visiting collectors where i could handle authentic pieces ....... than I did buying on eBay. This was very hard for me in the beginning because I thought that I saw a good piece online. It really looked right to me, I should snap it up.

In the years I have been collecting, I got ONE sleeper on eBay and that was pure blind luck. I also have one marginal jian that I like anyway. I keep it to explain the sheer artistry of the fakers.

All my good pieces I bought from dealers at what seemed like high prices at the time, but yesterday's high prices are tomorrow's bargains!

For a while I even went on a binge of trying to help warn people I saw bidding on obvious fakes, but I realized that the great majority just wanted to buy a wall hanger that MIGHT have belonged to a Chinese Emperor General. Clean the carefully applied rust from the blade, hang it over their fireplace and watch "the game" on TV. Never buy another one.

But the serious collectors. This Forum is one of the great places to find help, mentors and learn.