Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd March 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
carlos

Default Bolo just ended in Ebay

This item just ended in the Ebay, a beatiful bolo from Philippines, I love this type of handles.
The sheath is in poor condition but I think is a good piece in general. The metal pieces in handle seems brass or maybe dirty silver?
I put pictures of the auction.
best regards

carlos
Attached Images

Last edited by carlos; 2nd March 2013 at 05:23 PM.
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Carlos, Yes this does have what looks to be a very beautifully carved water buffalo horn hilt. It is a shame however that it seems as though both sides of the guard have been be broken off. The scabbard even if it is in poor condition is at least still there as most are completely missing. The fitting to me look to be made of brass and not silver though I could very easily be wrong. I was watching this and planning on placing a bid later in the auction when it suddenly ended. Are you by chance the one who ended up with this very nice item? If you are, my congratulations to you for your new addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Sajen

Nice piece also when the two pieces from the guard are missing. Also think that the fittings are from brass.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:05 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THIS DOES LOOK LIKE THE EXCELLENT WORK DONE ON THE BOLOS FROM LUZON. BUT THE BLADE DOES NOT FIT WITH WHAT I USUALLY REFER TO AS A BOLO, PERHAPS ONE WITH MORE KNOWLEGE OF PHILIPPINE WEAPONS CAN SUPPLY THE CORRECT NAME FOR THIS PARTICULAR FORM.
THE CLOSEST RESEMBLENCE TO YOUR BLADE I FOUND WAS SIMPLY IDENTIFIED AS LUMAD SWORD. THE SECOND PICTURE IS OF A ITAK SWORD 21.75IN. LONG, BUT THE BLADE IS DIFFERENT FROM YOUR ITEM.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 4th March 2013 at 03:24 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 03:16 PM   #5
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Carlos, Yes this does have what looks to be a very beautifully carved water buffalo horn hilt. It is a shame however that it seems as though both sides of the guard have been be broken off. The scabbard even if it is in poor condition is at least still there as most are completely missing. The fitting to me look to be made of brass and not silver though I could very easily be wrong. I was watching this and planning on placing a bid later in the auction when it suddenly ended. Are you by chance the one who ended up with this very nice item? If you are, my congratulations to you for your new addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Hello Robert
Yes, Im the new owner of this sword, the engraved horn handle are my passion.
thanks for your comments

carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote