Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 12th March 2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Neo

Default What pamor is this?

What do you think is the name of the pamor of this keris? It kinda looks like Wiji Timun, but then it has some sort of "wings" surounding the ellipses.
Attached Images

Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
asian-keris

I think this is Bali origine Blade
asian-keris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 06:27 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian-keris
I don't think so Asian. What makes you say so?
And it looks like a basic Wos Wutah to me, but maybe someone else knows differently.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Jean

To me it looks to be a Javanese blade with dapur Pasopati.
Regarding the style of pamor, it is impossible to guess it accurately from the picture, we need more detailed ones to see the details, especially if the pamorless areas in the median part of the blade are due to wear or are original.
Best regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:52 AM   #5
ferrylaki

Quote:
I must say that I'm very impressed by your opiinion Asian keris.
I agree this tipe of pamor s belong to bali kerises.
the method of pamor appliace in bali keris is quite thick and only contains of a few layers of pamor.
I'm very pleased you can recognize this pamor. only a few people would directly recognize it.
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:13 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
I must say that I'm very impressed by your opiinion Asian keris.
I agree this tipe of pamor s belong to bali kerises.
the method of pamor appliace in bali keris is quite thick and only contains of a few layers of pamor.
I'm very pleased you can recognize this pamor. only a few people would directly recognize it.
Interesting Ferrylaki. To me there is almost nothing in the dhapur of this keris that would indicate it's origin as Balinese. It wouldn't be the first time i have been wrong of course, but if you could post some other provenanced Balinese examples that have ricikan that are executed in this manner i would love to see them. As for the pamor, i am impressed by your skills to be able to determine that much based on this one single overall image. Frankly i have based my opinion of origin more on the dhapur.
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:48 AM   #7
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Interesting Ferrylaki. To me there is almost nothing in the dhapur of this keris that would indicate it's origin as Balinese. It wouldn't be the first time i have been wrong of course, but if you could post some other provenanced Balinese examples that have ricikan that are executed in this manner i would love to see them. As for the pamor, i am impressed by your skills to be able to determine that much based on this one single overall image. Frankly i have based my opinion of origin more on the dhapur.
this keris is not the example of young bali. this is an old bali keris.
I found that bali keris could be defided in two. the old one (circa majapahit) and the young ( the same periode with mataram and nomnoman).

the both has a quite different in size and dhapur. the old one usually smaller.
but...the both consistenly apply the same methode of making its pamor.
you can find in easily on pamor melumah. every layr is so thick and it would only a few pamor layers.

I hope you can understand my explanation.

and David, have you ever consider that this keris has already been modified from its original ?

Last edited by ferrylaki; 3rd April 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Gustav

Bali is an interesting thought.

Against it would speek the falling and quite narrow Gandhik. The majority of Bali kerisses don't have Pamor Gonjo.

If there is a bigger and somewhat rounded Bawang Sebungkul, this keris couldn't be Bali or very old. Unfortunately from this picture absolutely nothing could be said about the quality, even the shape of the features of Ricikan.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:48 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
this keris is not the example of young bali. this is an old bali keris.
I found that bali keris could be defided in two. the old one (circa majapahit) and the young ( the same periode with mataram and nomnoman).

the both has a quite different in size and dhapur. the old one usually smaller.
but...the both consistenly apply the same methode of making its pamor.
you can find in easily on pamor melumah. every layr is so thick and it would only a few pamor layers.

I hope you can understand my explanation.

and David, have you ever consider that this keris has already been modified from its original ?
I understand your explanation, i just don't see how you can be making these observations based upon this one overall photograph.
I do agree that with Mojopahit era Bali keris we would be likely to find more similarities between Javanese and Bali keris, but i am afraid that i do not have your skills to be able to determine that this particular keris is as old as that based on this one photo.
Old 4th April 2013, 02:52 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

I find these exchanges very interesting.

In fact, so interesting that I'm going to refrain from comment. Its not often I get this level of entertainment.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Jean

I just found that this kris is shown on page 132 of the book "Tafsir Keris", and is said to have belonged to the late General Subroto. It is described as having a dapur Pasopati and pamor Wos Wutah and to have been made by Empu Supo in Blambangan.
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 4th April 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 4th April 2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Gustav

I must say, I also have some reasons to be entertained now.
Old 4th April 2013, 03:35 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
I just found that this kris is shown on page 132 of the book "Tafsir Keris", and is said to have belonged to the late General Subroto. It is described as having a dapur Pasopati and pamor Wos Wutah and to have been made by Empu Supo in Blambangan.
Regards
hmmm....interesting indeed...
Old 5th April 2013, 08:56 AM   #14
ferrylaki

Quote:
hmmm....interesting indeed...
well I must say I'd like to be entertained.
we must not consider the sandangan as a guide to 'tangguh'
lets just observe the keris.

Let us see the gandik, its tall and "rubuh"....which mean this gandik must have a "kembang kacang''. and it have kembang kacang indeed.
the question is " should it be POGOG or the normal shape?"
the front wadidang looks funny to me. I can imagine if only it has a normal shape of kembang kacang. it would be much-much better in shape. specially tha shape of front wadidang. its quite common that kembang kacang pogog would be a so nicely combined with a straight gandik. in other hand...kembang kacang pogog and a gandik rubuh (sloping gandik) like this one is a terrible combination.

then we can see the ODO-ODO.
it looks quite tall since the sogokan is also very very deep, tall, and looks wide also. the blade is thin so the odo-odo looks tall.

we can say that since the blade it self looks clean, (needs warangan).
but we can see the pamor is applied in a thin layers. this style of pamor application is very balinese .

how about the greneng? is it indicate an original shape or not? in my opinion its fine alright. its still original in shape.

honestly, I dont see any thing at all that indicate this keris revers to blambangan.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Jean

According to the book, this kris is deemed to have very strong magical powers and to select its owner, and it is only said to have been made in Blambangan by Empu Supo, not to be attributed to tangguh Blambangan.
I attach the picture of another kris with dapur Pasopati and having some similar features (and differences of course), it was made somewhere and some time ago by Empu Tartempion (well-known to French collectors only ) and it selected me as its new owner
Attached Images

Old 5th April 2013, 03:14 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
well I must say I'd like to be entertained.
we must not consider the sandangan as a guide to 'tangguh'
lets just observe the keris.

Let us see the gandik, its tall and "rubuh"....which mean this gandik must have a "kembang kacang''. and it have kembang kacang indeed.
the question is " should it be POGOG or the normal shape?"
the front wadidang looks funny to me. I can imagine if only it has a normal shape of kembang kacang. it would be much-much better in shape. specially tha shape of front wadidang. its quite common that kembang kacang pogog would be a so nicely combined with a straight gandik. in other hand...kembang kacang pogog and a gandik rubuh (sloping gandik) like this one is a terrible combination.

then we can see the ODO-ODO.
it looks quite tall since the sogokan is also very very deep, tall, and looks wide also. the blade is thin so the odo-odo looks tall.

we can say that since the blade it self looks clean, (needs warangan).
but we can see the pamor is applied in a thin layers. this style of pamor application is very balinese .

how about the greneng? is it indicate an original shape or not? in my opinion its fine alright. its still original in shape.

honestly, I dont see any thing at all that indicate this keris revers to blambangan.
So Ferrylaki, if i understand you correctly, from this one overall photo viewed on a computer screen you have been able to determine the following:
1. The gandik has been re-formed
2. the pamor layers are thin, which means this is a Bali keris
3. the blade is thin which makes the odo-odo look tall
4. The sogokan are "very, very deep"
5. the greneng has not been re-formed (does this look like Bali greneng to you?)
6. the tagguh is not Blambangan (though that was never stated)

You can really see all that in this one photograph? I am quite impressed by this skill.
Do you have any provenanced Bali keris to show us to help support your belief that this is an old Bali keris? Can you support your ideas in any way other than your own observations based on this one photograph?
Do you have any response to the fact that the very keris in question apparently appears in a notable book on keris attributed to Mpu Supo and described as Dhapur Pasopati with pamor Wos Wutah?
Old 6th April 2013, 06:10 PM   #17
asian-keris

Quote:
Hi dear colector’s
I have found some time to do some research.
Found similarity in the book from karsten Jensen (1998) pg 136
And one in keris di Lombok from Djelenga (2000) pg 168
These are carita dapur one’s but have the same candik and ada-ada(rim)
This blade has been polished (typical bali)
counter is the pamor used for the ganja . On bali, ganja’s are black (or small stripes)
Pamor at the base beras wutah and stretched to the tip.
Still confused Or is this an recent mixture
asian-keris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 07:09 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Hi dear colector’s
I have found some time to do some research.
Found similarity in the book from karsten Jensen (1998) pg 136
And one in keris di Lombok from Djelenga (2000) pg 168
These are carita dapur one’s but have the same candik and ada-ada(rim)
This blade has been polished (typical bali)
counter is the pamor used for the ganja . On bali, ganja’s are black (or small stripes)
Pamor at the base beras wutah and stretched to the tip.
Still confused Or is this an recent mixture
Sorry Asian, i don't have any of these resource books. Can you find any examples to post here?
Frankly i don't think this is a recent mixture of anything. It looks like a classic Javanese dhapur executed in the usual manner. Of course, if i had it in my hand i might have some different thoughts on it. The pamor is impossible to discern absolutely from this one image. But i don't have Ferry's magic eye. Likewise the thinness or thickness of the blade or the depth of the sogokan is impossible to tell from this evenly lit over top viewpoint. But as a general overview it seems to present itself as a Javanese Pasopati dhapur with Wos Wutah pamor blade to me.

Last edited by David; 7th April 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:01 AM   #19
ferrylaki

Quote:
So Ferrylaki, if i understand you correctly, from this one overall photo viewed on a computer screen you have been able to determine the following:
1. The gandik has been re-formed
2. the pamor layers are thin, which means this is a Bali keris
3. the blade is thin which makes the odo-odo look tall
4. The sogokan are "very, very deep"
5. the greneng has not been re-formed (does this look like Bali greneng to you?)
6. the tagguh is not Blambangan (though that was never stated)

You can really see all that in this one photograph? I am quite impressed by this skill.
Do you have any provenanced Bali keris to show us to help support your belief that this is an old Bali keris? Can you support your ideas in any way other than your own observations based on this one photograph?
Do you have any response to the fact that the very keris in question apparently appears in a notable book on keris attributed to Mpu Supo and described as Dhapur Pasopati with pamor Wos Wutah?
I must say that
1. the gandik it just fine. it hasn't been re-formed.
2. the pamor is consist of only a few layers of thin pamor which indicate it is a bali keris. since bali keris applied this method of pamor making cinsistently.

3. yes I can see that all in a slight view from a photograph. and I've been study keris like crazy this last three years. I found that there is a very remarkable consistent keris making method is applied in each era and tangguh. even in the same periode of time and the same region as PBIX and mangkubumen the keris making methode on appliying pamor is quite different.

Lets continue abaout the picture of pasopati.I'd like to ask you all to observe the pamor. how many layers are they? howe thin every layer is. how is the tipe of wos wutah pamor applied? in point of view, the wos wutah is quuite different from javanese wos wutah , sultan agung or senopaten or majapahit tipe of wos wutah. off course this keris can't be a nomnoman .

these are some picture I found from the internet shiwing the consistent Bali wos wotah would look like.
Attached Images

Old 10th April 2013, 12:42 PM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Well Ferry, i would not argue that any of these examples you have now posted are from Bali (or Lombok). That much is clear in these examples though none of them are the same pasopati dhapur. I will continue to argue that the original example in this post is not from Bali....that there is very little you can discern from the one image we see about the true nature of the pamor...that it is a blade out-of stain anyway and could use some warangan to show it's true form and construction....that the dhapur of this original keris does not look Balinese and that when you compare the gandik, the form of the lambe-gajah, the form and shape of the greneng, the type of pamor present on the gonjo, the over shape of the gonjo.....sorry, this just does not read as a Bali blade to me at all. Even if it were possible to tell more about this pamor from the photo and it does use the lesser layers of the Balinese technique, i would still doubt a Bali origin for this.
Of course, you have also failed to address the fact brought forth by Jean that this very same keris is identified on page 132 in Tafsir Keris and that the blade apparently has some provenance. The book apparently lists not only the owner, but claims to know the Mpu as well.
Old 10th April 2013, 07:35 PM   #21
Jean

Quote:
Of course, you have also failed to address the fact brought forth by Jean that this very same keris is identified on page 132 in Tafsir Keris and that the blade apparently has some provenance. The book apparently lists not only the owner, but claims to know the Mpu as well.
David,
If it is OK on the copyright point of view, I can scan and show the full page of the book, as Neo already showed the picture... The owner is identified by his initials only so it should not be a problem. The original picture in the book is good but the blade is quite dark and the pamor does not appear very clearly and is not a very fine nor a typical Beras Wutah.
Best regards

Last edited by Jean; 10th April 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 08:13 PM   #22
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
David,
If it is OK on the copyright point of view, I can scan and show the full page of the book, as Neo already showed the picture... The owner is identified by his initials only so it should not be a problem. The original picture in the book is good but the blade is quite dark and the pamor does not appear very clearly and is not a very fine nor a typical Beras Wutah.
Best regards
Thanks Jean. I don't think that you need to scan the entire page since we do already have the photo, but i would like to read what is actually written about this keris if you can rewrite it here. For educational purposes copying a bit of text with credit to authorship is just fine with copyright laws AFAIK.
Old 11th April 2013, 03:28 AM   #23
ferrylaki

Quote:
Well Ferry, i would not argue that any of these examples you have now posted are from Bali (or Lombok). That much is clear in these examples though none of them are the same pasopati dhapur. I will continue to argue that the original example in this post is not from Bali....that there is very little you can discern from the one image we see about the true nature of the pamor...that it is a blade out-of stain anyway and could use some warangan to show it's true form and construction....that the dhapur of this original keris does not look Balinese and that when you compare the gandik, the form of the lambe-gajah, the form and shape of the greneng, the type of pamor present on the gonjo, the over shape of the gonjo.....sorry, this just does not read as a Bali blade to me at all. Even if it were possible to tell more about this pamor from the photo and it does use the lesser layers of the Balinese technique, i would still doubt a Bali origin for this.
Well David. I have to admit that I 've fail to give you a reasonable explanation. I'm pleased to have this discussion with you. Let's continue this fun .
I do have a picture old dhapur pasopati with similar over all shape. and I guess its has the same majapahit tangguh.only with a slight different tipe of pamor. the gonjo also fill with pamor, which I can guarantee for sure that its gonjo is the original. I also attach the picture taken from the gonjo. to show you all the peksi hole which still has its "peg" . and I must say it is a very nice shape of "wuwungan gonjo" hope you enjoy it. but plesa do not put any comment about its kembang kacang.

But I do agree the keris we discussed could be categorized as majapahit era .
once again I must admit that I was too hasty laying my eyes to the thin pamor layers.
Please continue this remarkable discussion. I will always feel pleased to join keris warung kopi.
I hope Alan would like to join us here. What You say Alan?
Attached Images

Old 11th April 2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Jean

Quote:
Thanks Jean. I don't think that you need to scan the entire page since we do already have the photo, but i would like to read what is actually written about this keris if you can rewrite it here. For educational purposes copying a bit of text with credit to authorship is just fine with copyright laws AFAIK.
The English version of the text in the book is as follows:
"A kris titled Kanjeng Kyahi Seneng Pareng, which according to several verbal informations I gathered, was formerly the property of (the late) General Gatot Subroto (?). However the scabbard is already replaced. This kris has a Pasopati dhapur and a Wos Wutah pamor, and it is the work of Empu Supo while he was still in Blambangan. This can be verified from the sloping gandhik (collapsing backwards), and the lambe gajah occuring in the middle of the gandhik. This kris had been in the preservation of a collector from Surakarta named Hong An. Then the kris moved from one hand to the other. KRRA. Sukatno Purwoprojo, a former penjamas or bather of the Keraton Surakarta heirlooms (2004-2008) who had once menjamasi (bathed this kris), explained that the Kanjeng Kyahi Seneng Pareng always chooses its own master. Not everybody is suitable to keep it. Its warangka is of the gayaman bener design made of timoho wood (Kleinhovia hospita) with a diamond studded silver pendoq blewaq. Its hilt is a Tunggak Semi of the wanda (model) Yudhawinatan made of tayuman wood (Cassia laevigata)."

I take this opportunity to recommend to the forum members to purchase this excellent book from Toni Junus!
Regards
Old 11th April 2013, 09:02 AM   #25
Gustav

Quote:
I do have a picture old dhapur pasopati with similar over all shape. and I guess its has the same majapahit tangguh.
Dear Ferrylaki, if we are looking only on Blumbangan on both keris (your latest picture and the initial one): I am fairly sure, yours isn't Boto Adeg, and the initial one also don't look like boto adeg. Tangguh Majapahit should have Boto Adeg Blumbangan.
Old 11th April 2013, 09:26 AM   #26
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Dear Ferrylaki, if we are looking only on Blumbangan on both keris (your latest picture and the initial one): I am fairly sure, yours isn't Boto Adeg, and the initial one also don't look like boto adeg. Tangguh Majapahit should have Boto Adeg Blumbangan.
I must say that mboto adeg and mboto rubuh is a fair expression for gandik.
Old 11th April 2013, 09:45 AM   #27
Gustav

Quote:
I must say that mboto adeg and mboto rubuh is a fair expression for gandik.
Dear Ferrylaki, may I turn your attention to #4 here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...adeg+majapahit

and to the page 166 in Haryoguritnos "Keris Jawa"?
Old 11th April 2013, 09:51 AM   #28
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
Dear Ferrylaki, may I turn your attention to #4 here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...adeg+majapahit

and to the page 166 in Haryoguritnos "Keris Jawa"?
well we got the point Gustav.
is this what you mean with majapahit has boto ngadeg blumbangan?
Attached Images

Old 11th April 2013, 03:00 PM   #29
David
Keris forum moderator

I'm sorry Ferry, are you still maintaining that this original keris is from Bali in spite of what seems like a very well provenanced history provide for the keris in Tafsir Keris? Are you denying that history? You're right, this is fun!
Old 12th April 2013, 01:57 AM   #30
ferrylaki

Quote:
I'm sorry Ferry, are you still maintaining that this original keris is from Bali in spite of what seems like a very well provenanced history provide for the keris in Tafsir Keris? Are you denying that history? You're right, this is fun!
am I denying that history? off course I am.
am I maintaining that this original keris is from Bali? this one I have to make my sefl clear. OK then It might not from bali. but I do have to agree it was made some time around majapahit period. let's just call it tangguh majapahit.
BUT for further information about the empu who made the keris. that's a little bit too far. I will not address that pasopati as a blambangan keris. not even close.
let's make this more fun then David, this discussion off course.